• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Glad to see this forum opened

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asako

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quote
Wow! I'm glad to see this forum opened up as well.

(sorry for the short post, I wanted to say "yay")
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
Hashire Melos! -- 'nuff said.

But where do we draw the line? I mean, Lucy Maud Montgomery is technically an anime-related novelist....

Do we specify that the author must be Japanese, as with manga?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
Wow a new section!

..but since I watch anime more than I read manga/light novels, I probably wouldn't post here anyway Embarassed Embarassed I only have the time to read school books, so maybe after I graduate (a few months more) I can finally read The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Maria-Sama Ga Miteru, Saiunkoku Monogatari etc. and post here Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
The rules here are a bit less restrictive. For now I'm opening this forum to any Japanese novels.

Although, people are just mentioning light novels as of right now, from this statement I take it that any modern (or not so modern) Japanese novelist can be discussed?

For example, the works of Natsume Soseki?
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
But where do we draw the line? I mean, Lucy Maud Montgomery is technically an anime-related novelist....

Do we specify that the author must be Japanese, as with manga?

- abunai

Wouldn't William Shakespeare also now qualify as a anime related playwright/author.

I have read less than a handful of Japanese novels, but I love to read and I think I am really going to enjoy this new forum. I can't wait to have a little more time so I can either start or participate in a Twelve Kingdoms discussion (wooo! adventure, exotic creatures, mythology, a little bit of alchemical symbolism, what a fun topic that'll be!), and see what anyone has to say about the Shana, Haruhi, and Full Metal Panic novels, as well as anything I probably never heard of but will probably enjoy (I'm always looking for new suggestions on books/novels to read). I'd also like to see a Densha Otoko topic at some point, especially as there is so much to discuss with not just the novel but its origins as well. (I actually enjoyed reading a truncated translation of the original 2ch threads more than the novel version.)

Thanks for the new forum!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
What about her avatar? I'm assuming it is a light novel of some sort but I have no idea what. Embarassed

The avatar is from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which is based off a series of novels starring Haruhi and friends.

Unfortunately, they haven't been translated yet...to my knowledge.
Not officially, anyway. [Note: I'm considering links to fan translations of text novels on the same level as fansub/scanlation links, so don't anyone post them.]

So can we sneak [visual] novels into the discussion here? I mean, this forum isn't going to have a whole lot of traffic either way, but this would give people a chance to discuss those games without being off-topic in the Anime or Manga forums, and liven things up in this section.

Still, I'm looking forward to discussing the novels I have come across, like Scrapped Princess and Kino no Tabi, as well as yet to be acquired/released ones like Twelve Kingdoms and Shinigami's Ballad.
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny that we need a sticky thread in a forum with, y'know, two threads. heh.

I'm honestly surprised to see this forum pop up, as light novels really haven't made anywhere near the impact on American fandom that Japanese cartoons, comics, and music have to sustain a discussion, but I suppose I could be proven wrong. The only Japanese light novel that's made it into my collection so far is Train_Man, although I'd probably buy the original Record of Lodoss War novels if those were ever translated.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Although, people are just mentioning light novels as of right now, from this statement I take it that any modern (or not so modern) Japanese novelist can be discussed?

Correct.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Wouldn't William Shakespeare also now qualify as a anime related playwright/author.

At this point, he would also qualify as an anime character Anime hyper

Interesting choice for a subforum, though; I'm wondering how soon we can expect a Japanese live-action TV and movies section since tons of those tie into existing manga and anime properties too. Razz
Asako

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Ningensei wrote:

Correct.
I know it says novels... and works such as Botchan and Kokoro. Those are classified as literature. I don't suppose poetry can be a part of this. I know that's stretching it. I just wanted to know the boundaries :/
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
No pat on the back for me?Sad

Anyway, glad to see it actually happen.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Thank you so much for the new section. Just the other idea I was wondering where I should make a book post.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
Oooh, a novel section. Very nice. Since I almost never visit the retail section, I rarely look below the manga section and it took me a little while to notice it. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Nice new section you got here! (looks around) need some couches (j/k)

I like this addition because I could find out some great stories outside of manga or manga novels. Its nice to read a book without pictures for awhile.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
Oh man, you guys just made my day! Slayers, Haruhi, Kino no Tabi, Densha Otoko...so many novels, so little time! ^^

I don't want to push it, but I wholeheartedly second visual novels being allowed in this forum since they don't seem to fit anywhere else, but would probably fit well here.

Either way, thanks ANN!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3