• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon to Localize Sound! Euphonium, Rokka Braves of the Six Flowers, Lances 'N Masques

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, nice pickups. I assume most if not all of these (maybe not the movie I guess..) will come to CR in the future.

Excited for Sound! Euphonium next week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Hmm so They have licensed Brave of the six flowers and Lance N Masques..

Ponyo is much like Aniplex and they use the same method when it comes to sale and distribution to sell anime in america....well those 2 titles above are the first series they have licensed that i might be interested in getting (depends on how they good they would be) bad new for my wallet than Anime hyper

hmm I am guessing Lance N MAsques will definitely air this year if they have already licensed it.....probably in the summer but no later than the fall i think.... we shall see.....

Also Sentai should announce some license acquisitions as well today so il keep an eye out for that.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I imagine I'll be paying out the butt for Euphonium. Oh well. So far it looks like a series that might actually be worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paulo27

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see them picking up Rokka no Yuusha, I have the feeling that show is going to be a nice little gem, very much like Yuyuyu was, Pony Canyon seem to have an eye for these things (not impressed with the other choices but I wasn't impressed with Denki-gai either so it's 50/50).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I should have, but I did not consider that Ponycan USA might license Sound! Euphonium. It looks like a strong pick up, and it will be streamed legally, unlike Amagi Brilliant Park.
Bashnek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Also Sentai should announce some license acquisitions as well today so il keep an eye out for that.

DanMachi, Souma, Kinmoza2, Oregairu2, Re-Kan! & wish upon the Pleides according to people at their panel today.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Ishihara! My favorite director ever.

Assuming there's no singing in Euphonium, I see no real issue with a possible dub. I still hate dubs because most the actors are terrible but there's few things more awkward the dubbing a song or having it switch languages mid-show. Really excited for this show.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Plans to have all three shows in English? Alright! Smile
I think which show will get dubbed first will depend on its popularity.

Personally, I'm looking forward to watching the English version of Sound! Euphorium (should it happen).
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Damn, was interested in Sound! Euphonium, but I'm guessing they'll stick with the insane pricing system of their first releases.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Now its just a question of the pricing. Still up in the air on how Yuki Yuna and Denki-Gai are doing. By the looks of it, some of these shows seem like they'll actually be popular enough to have enough people to wanna buy them if they do go with the same prices like last time

I'd like to believe that these will be a little more affordable, but I guess I shouldnt get my hopes up too much. Nice to hear they'll get dubs though (probably).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
With Lances & Masques, they must seem really ambitious to want to dub a show that haven't even aired yet.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
With Lances & Masques, they must seem really ambitious to want to dub a show that haven't even aired yet.

Not to mention selling it for $90 a volume, it's like they don't want money at all and even worse they have Sound! Euphonium one of my most anticipated anime of this season, I hope they offer a standard edition of it since I may want to buy it. There's no way they'll break even at the very least on Lance 'N Macques not at that price, it's more suited for a Sentai license where it can be sold for a reasonable price.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Well if the shows are any good I'll gladly hype them up so they can get an English dub.

Since Bandai died out it seemed like Sentai Filmworks had a vice grip on KyoAni shows for a while which led to a significant drop in quality between the dubs of Season 1 and 2 of K-ON, the crappy Tamako Market dub (Not that the show deserved any more than it got), the barely passable (But sub par for an English dub produced in 2014) dub of Chuu2 which was released more than a full two years after the show finished airing (And about one full year after Ren killed the show's popularity) and let's not forget that they're still sitting on KnK.

But with Funi getting Free and Ponycan getting Euphonium I'm glad there's a brighter future for dubs of KyoAni shows. Even a sub only release is preferable to the treatment Sentai give to 90% of their niche titles.

Also for the record I don't mind high prices as long as I get bang for my buck and I'm not just shelling out $60 for something I can legally get on the Internet for free.

I also think some of you didn't read it properly

Quote:
PonyCan stated there are plans to dub all the series in English, but it depends on each title's performance.
Basically, nothing is confirmed yet.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:14 am Reply with quote
That's good that LN'M is getting an English release.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Well if the shows are any good I'll gladly hype them up so they can get an English dub.

Since Bandai died out it seemed like Sentai Filmworks had a vice grip on KyoAni shows for a while which led to a significant drop in quality between the dubs of Season 1 and 2 of K-ON, the crappy Tamako Market dub (Not that the show deserved any more than it got), the barely passable (But sub par for an English dub produced in 2014) dub of Chuu2 which was released more than a full two years after the show finished airing (And about one full year after Ren killed the show's popularity) and let's not forget that they're still sitting on KnK.

But with Funi getting Free and Ponycan getting Euphonium I'm glad there's a brighter future for dubs of KyoAni shows. Even a sub only release is preferable to the treatment Sentai give to 90% of their niche titles.

Prior to 2013, the international rights to the KyoAni works (excluding the Munto OVAs) were either held by Kadokawa Shoten (who licensed to their US branch prior to their closure in 2009 and then sublicensed to NA companies) or by TBS (who had a close business relationship with ADV before moving to a close relationship with Sentai). Free!'s rights were held by Asahi Broadcasting Company (ABC), the first time they held the rights to an animated series, which is why the rights were jumbled between seasons.

Euphonium is the first production from KyoAni that Pony Canyon controlled the rights for, and given their relationship in the CTFK works (always the second biggest funder), it looks likely that anything not being done with TBS/Kadokawa will go to Pony Canyon's NA branch in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2