• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Wind Rises, Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow, Big Hero 6 Nominated for Saturn Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
I think Edge of Tomorrow is still my favourite film of 2014, keeping in mind that I really haven't seen too many films from last year. It was a lot more fun than most sci-fi blockbusters seem to be allowed to be, although it was the outstanding set designs that really won me over, recreating a huge portion of Heathrow Airport's apron and the beaches of Normandy in physical form (with some CGI scenery composited in, obviously, but not as much as you'd think) almost entirely within the confines of Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden, north of central London.

I did finally see Godzilla 2014 on The Movie Network here in Canada but, sorry, I just found it plodding and dull, maybe a little bit more enjoyable than Godzilla 1998 but that's more by default than it is a compliment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MajorZero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
What The Wind Rises has to do with horror, fantasy or sci-fi? Only if Saturn Awards acknowledges how toothless its political commentary was then yeah, it's horror.

Well, they nominated From Up on Poppy Hill before, so, nothing surprising.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Another award ceremony. There's a lot going on. I still have yet to see some of these movies, namely EoT and The Wind Rises.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the Saturn Awards is taking notice. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I would imagine that Interstellar will win in most or all of the categories in which Edge of Tomorrow is also nominated, especially since Interstellar was more or less completely snubbed at the Oscars.

(I never got around to watching Interstellar but I know it was received more favorably by critics and certainly found much more of an audience than Edge of Tomorrow.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Will they get William Shatner back to "sing" Rocket Man?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
Non sci-fi film nominated for sci-fi award.

This is why I stopped reading the Nebula Award anthologies: the last one I tried was full of stuff that wasn't remotely SF or even fantasy.

The war on definitions rages on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1