• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shōnen Jump Magazine Launches 3 New Series in May

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
The Most Common Superpower: Not just in American comics.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Seshiji wo Pin! to ~Shikakō Kyōgi Dance-bu e Yōkoso~ looks super cute! Interested to know what it's about.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
little correction: "Seshiji" should be "Sesuji"
pikopika

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how all three series will turn out! Congratulations to the respective mangaka for their individual serializations~

On another note...
Quote:
The combined 22nd/23rd issue will also include a dialogue between Kishimoto and One Piece manga creator Eiichiro Oda.

I'm curious about this part![/quote]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
So... that's four new series including the Naruto spinoff. Which series are getting the ax then?
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
So little to go on for each but I like the image for Lady Justice, will likely give all 3 a read though, you never know with WSJ series. Could end up with a gem like Shokugeki, Haikyuu or Ansatsu or go completely the other way and end up with another Naruto, Hungry Joker or Iron Knight.

Speaking of Naruto, may check out the spinoff as Kishimoto is good at starting series if little else. Actually that's mean, Part 1 of Naruto was decent when he was taking 'inspiration' from HxH.
blessed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Seshiji wo Pin! to ~Shikakō Kyōgi Dance-bu e Yōkoso~ looks super cute! Interested to know what it's about.

Saaaaaame. How long is the wait till the first chapter?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Kishi explain some of these decisions he did for the last main Naruto chapter without giving something that sounds like a big excuse in this dialogue he has with Oda.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
A good lineup for Jump is coming up I see. Issue 22/23 I wish I could get my hands on, I would love to read the dialogue between Oda and Kishimoto. They respect each quite a bit that they inserted references to the other artists series into their own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
So... that's four new series including the Naruto spinoff. Which series are getting the ax then?

My money's on Gakkyu Hotei: School Judgment and Table Tennis of Ageha. Both have been ranking in the bottom 5 in popularity since the get-go, and the other series that they debuted with (E-Robot) was already cancelled after just a dozen chapters.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
So little to go on for each but I like the image for Lady Justice, will likely give all 3 a read though, you never know with WSJ series. Could end up with a gem like Shokugeki, Haikyuu or Ansatsu or go completely the other way and end up with another Naruto, Hungry Joker or Iron Knight.

Speaking of Naruto, may check out the spinoff as Kishimoto is good at starting series if little else. Actually that's mean, Part 1 of Naruto was decent when he was taking 'inspiration' from HxH.

Kishimoto has talked a lot about his influences (notably Akira, Dragon Ball, and Blade of the Immortal), but I've never once seen any indication that he was inspired by HxH.

In fact, the two were running pretty much parallel to each other in WSJ. Naruto started its serialization only about a year after HxH.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

My money's on Gakkyu Hotei: School Judgment and Table Tennis of Ageha. Both have been ranking in the bottom 5 in popularity since the get-go, and the other series that they debuted with (E-Robot) was already cancelled after just a dozen chapters.

It does seem like Gakkyu Hotei is racing toward resolution.
shadowsythe13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I might read the lady one and naruto mini series but I really want battle shonen series because it seems bleach is ending soon, only is new that I'm reading is fairy tail, blue exocrist, bleach, attack on Titan, seven deadly sins, newest one is black clover. I wish there will be more battle series I like. There are some I don't like one piece except for anime, jojo bizzare adventures, hunter x hunter, magi, and some others I can't remember?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
Bleach is in no way ending. Tite Kubo was told to wrap it up once this current arc ends, and he is now filibustering.

That they have three new series means something other than Gakkyu Hotei and Ageha's Table Tennis is ending. I'm guessing one of the four series from the last batch is going to wrap up, though I can't really tell which one it is as popularity has no correlation with the series's quality. (Well, the stuff towards the top tend to be really nice, but the mediocre stuff seems interspersed between the middle and bottom and so are some of the good-but-not-great series.)

That being said, it feels like Nisekoi may be ending pretty soon too (though because Naoshi Komi wants to). Reading the last few chapters, there's been some major shakeups, like spoiler[Chitoge's family moving out of Japan and deciding she'll live with Raku, and Raku getting serious about opening that locket of his].
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
little correction: "Seshiji" should be "Sesuji"

Thanks for pointing that out! It's been fixed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2