• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Women Rank Their Favorite Romantic Gestures

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
It's sort of funny how different Western culture is to Japan in some ways. I used to actually pat a girl I liked on the head as a gesture of affection, she didn't say anything about it and seemed to even enjoy it, but after several months a friend of hers said she really wasn't a fan.... Crying or Very sad Needless to say, I was greatly saddened. Thankfully our relationship didn't suffer as a result.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those rare occasions where I can't think of a snarky comment about how no one's getting laid in Japan anymore.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
A pat on the head is supposed to be something normal.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
This is so cute! Anime hyper
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it was an open question or they gave them a list to choose from, I suppose it is the later since there is no "others" category, but the article does not make it clear. It also sounds fishy that #1 choice has to do with pesky insects when the survey was done by a company that manufactures nets vs. insects.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking of a more literal definition of "gesture" and was really curious about what I might find.
The article was actually a bit of a disappointment.Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
It also sounds fishy that #1 choice has to do with pesky insects when the survey was done by a company that manufactures nets vs. insects.

Idk that sounds like the right answer to me Anime hyper Bugs are the devil >__<
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
It also sounds fishy that #1 choice has to do with pesky insects when the survey was done by a company that manufactures nets vs. insects.

Idk that sounds like the right answer to me Anime hyper Bugs are the devil >__<

How many people have bugs killed? 0 How many bugs have people killed?? The more you know
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
insects kill the most people... wait nevermind, I forgot that mosquitoes are mammals.

relyat08 wrote:
It's sort of funny how different Western culture is to Japan in some ways. I used to actually pat a girl I liked on the head as a gesture of affection, she didn't say anything about it and seemed to even enjoy it, but after several months a friend of hers said she really wasn't a fan.... Crying or Very sad Needless to say, I was greatly saddened. Thankfully our relationship didn't suffer as a result.

I once ended a relationship becasue of that misunderstanding, thankfulyl we still were nto married, just engaged.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
So if the least popular is poking someone in the forehead, then does that mean Sakura's a weirdo?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I can relate to the commenst above about patting someone on the head. My experience with doing that was to be told it's condescending. Perhaps condescension is an admirable trait for some people?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
While a pat on the head is often seen as a sign of affection, there are some instances in which it can also be taken as an act of condescension.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think I'd appreciate being patted on the head. One, my hair can look dirty by the end of the day if I'm sweating enough and the last thing I want is someone getting my hair dirtier. And two, yeah, it would feel condescending. In fact, the first and third favorites on this list feels more like parent/child gestures than romantic gestures (it annoys the hell out of me watching Eru drag Oreki around in Hyouka), but, hey, I won't slam on people for their preferences. I just wouldn't care for it.

My favorite gesture would probably be an arm around the shoulder, a head on the shoulder, or head on the lap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

How many people have bugs killed? 0 How many bugs have people killed?? The more you know

You do realize there are many insects that, such as mosquitos, that carry blood born diseases that can spread to humans.

Just because insects do not "actively try to kill people" doesn't mean some exist that can be very harmful to humans.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
^
Australia may be notorious for its man-eating crocodiles and sharks and for its highly venomous spiders and snakes, but the animal that causes more deaths than any other is the humble bee. Yep, allergic reactions to bee stings is the biggest killer. Or, so I've read.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4