• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, June 21-27 [2015-07-03]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
And thus AoT 1 has spent 2 years on the list. Has any other volume managed that?
Forrest-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I need the 10th Gundam volume sooo bad but RightStuf is lagging soooooooooo much Sad
the-antihero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
What's the point of people buying the manga version of Gundam The Origin when at this point there are 2 anime projects with the same story that they've already seen? Not to mention a few other manga and novel adaptations of the original series with very little differences already exist. I don't know what makes The Origin so different. The OVA is giving us more on Char and Sayla's backstory but it wasn't worth the hype at all, and once it gets to what UC0079 did, it won't be as worthwhile to watch anymore except just to see old Gundam in new animation.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
What's the point of people buying the manga version of Gundam The Origin when at this point there are 2 anime projects with the same story that they've already seen? Not to mention a few other manga and novel adaptations of the original series with very little differences already exist. I don't know what makes The Origin so different. The OVA is giving us more on Char and Sayla's backstory but it wasn't worth the hype at all, and once it gets to what UC0079 did, it won't be as worthwhile to watch anymore except just to see old Gundam in new animation.

Vertical have done a really nice job with the series. While I don't personally colect it, I was definitely impressed by the quality of the volumes when I saw them in store. Definitely the sort of thing I'd want to collect if I was a fan of the series. There was a previous attempt to release the manga here before but it failed so I think the quality of the release definitely played a part in it selling so well for Vertical.
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Because it's a beautiful looking special edition with excellent art and colored pages, and pretty much everything MSG did, The Origin did better. It's the 'hindsight is 20/20' version, the military sci-fi story the show wanted to be.

- There is more backstory and character detail for basically everyone, even down to the White Base kids. Most of the main cast are bigger characters than they ever were than the original show.
- The White Base's journey through Earth is rooted in real-world locations and geography, instead of a random circumnavigation. Also, the White Base itself actually seems like a fully-staffed military ship in this.
- There are more details on the development of the mobile suit and detailed explanations of the technologies and theories behind it, such as the Minovsky particle/physics, the AMBAC system, and the magnetic coating that is put on the Gundam in the recent volume.
- More worldbuilding in general: It is the most complete account of the events that lead to the One Year War, including the rise of Zeon, it's increasing tension with it's political rivals and the Federation, several never before-seen early skirmishes and the full Battle of Loum which was never elaborated upon in any source
- Writing is generally better and the show's themes are executed far better than anything Tomino's ever done.

And that's not even scratching the surface. It's great that it's getting the love it deserves.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Just to be clear, what do you mean by 'quality'? Is it the art, the storytelling? Because from what I've read the only major difference is Origin's art style is cleaner and more accurate to the anime while previous manga, being from the 80's and 90's, are definitely more crooked. But the pacing and events aren't much different. As far as I'm concerned this whole thing went like this:

Publisher: First Gundam on manga!!
Buyer(s): No thanks
Publisher: Here it is again!
Buyer(s): No thanks.
Publisher: Here it is (The Origin this time)
Buyer(s): SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

It's just a matter of time until Zeta's manga adaptaion, the sequel to The Origin (can't remember the name), is announced. I am 110% sure it's coming, especially considering the abomination that was G-Reco. For God's sake, G-Reco doesn't even have Master Grades yet, and AGE got MG's during its run and it was a failure, as much as I don't like to admit it, but I could go on a rant about how AGE bombed despite not being bad at all.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

It's just a matter of time until Zeta's manga adaptaion, the sequel to The Origin (can't remember the name), is announced. I am 110% sure it's coming, especially considering the abomination that was G-Reco. For God's sake, G-Reco doesn't even have Master Grades yet, and AGE got MG's during its run and it was a failure, as much as I don't like to admit it, but I could go on a rant about how AGE bombed despite not being bad at all.

Zeta Define is awful.

It's also not a sequel to The Origin.
Like, at all. It's not Yas for one. It's by Kitazume who also did the Char's Deleted Affair manga (which was also equally as terrible, albeit for different reasons than Define.)
Forrest-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Just to be clear, what do you mean by 'quality'? Is it the art, the storytelling? Because from what I've read the only major difference is Origin's art style is cleaner and more accurate to the anime while previous manga, being from the 80's and 90's, are definitely more crooked. But the pacing and events aren't much different. As far as I'm concerned this whole thing went like this:

Publisher: First Gundam on manga!!
Buyer(s): No thanks
Publisher: Here it is again!
Buyer(s): No thanks.
Publisher: Here it is (The Origin this time)
Buyer(s): SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

Go into your local bookshop and flip through a copy and then you'll see why people are buying it! Cool
-Hardcover
-Art is done by one of the original animators from 0079
-Gorgeous Watercolors
-Way more detailed & thorough story
-Almost 500 pages
-Collectors love these kind of things

I know a lot of people that have NO experience with the Gundam universe and absolutely love MSG: The Origin. People may have not wanted previous releases for various reasons (that I'm not aware of) but there are plenty of things to like about The origin release. Very Happy
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
but I could go on a rant about how AGE bombed despite not being bad at all.

The only comments I ever see from you is ranting on UC and about how you think AGE is good. Its as if your pissed UC gets all the attention and AGE doesn't so you find some reason to complain. Its annoying.
So what if people want to read a manga of anime we've already seen. Doesn't that always happen? You never complain to all the other manga where thats the case but with UC of course your going to find some excuse to rant about it.

The Origin is such a fined tuned improvement over first Gundam anime, anyone seriously reading it will tell you this. The Origin has better development with a much more consistent flow and fantastic character & mecha art, something I can't completely say about first Gundam anime even though its a top favorite of mine. There's a lot added & changed in The Origin that make it better. Yoshikazu Yasuhiko being the history buff that he is really want to make sure the war & politics were actually important & well written into the story this time.
Not that you actually care. Seems your only goal is to rant and keep ranting regardless of the answers you get. The Origin is highly acclaimed and AGE is panned by most as one of the worst Gundam, thats reality, get over it.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
forrest-kun wrote:
I need the 10th Gundam volume sooo bad but RightStuf is lagging soooooooooo much Sad

Yeah, the new website is kinda slow.

Only have volumes 1, 2, and 9. Just slowly getting them from Fully Booked since their price is way discounted even before adding membership discount. Jumped ahead and grabbed vol. 9 since there was a 20% off sale today.. (Normal member discount is 5% for credit card, 10% for cash.) Ordering online would cost more for me due to the books being so heavy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1