• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled's 5th Episode Delayed to February

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calculus20

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
Totally ok with this. I want the last episode to be in top shape production wise, and with all the new stuff introduced the writing will have to be good to fill in all the holes. That being said, I'm more hyped about the inevitable announcement that will come after part 5 ends about the future of Geass. This legendary series is turning 10 years old next year after all.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
Code Geass: Fukkatsu no 'F'

Making Unicorn proud.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
That being said, I'm more hyped about the inevitable announcement that will come after part 5 ends about the future of Geass. This legendary series is turning 10 years old next year after all.

This.

I'm hoping for a 50 episode sequel to season 2 in the best case scenario. Though I believe any sequels needs to get a few things straight to preserve what the first series achieved:
spoiler[Lelouch must remain dead. It severely damages the artistic power of the ending of season 2 if he lives. Also, the next series should probably explore the system created by Lelouch for the new world order (Its strength and weaknesses) and the main theme should be about how peace isn't some eternal gift Lelouch gave them but a step towards the future, a future now in their hands. It should demonstrate the importance of Lelouch's legacy and the series' main conflict should be about preserving the peace he created. I think any theme about the "next stage" of utopia should be kept for a future installment.]

They are so many possibilities though: An Oz adaptation, or Renya of the Darkness... They could also make a series exploring the vast world and history of the series: The French Revolution, the American Revolution, World War I, how Geass was first created (Would probably require an "Atlantis/advanced civilization that died" type of story to explain though since blaming it on actual magic would be stupid in this series and aliens would feel cheap to a degree)...

Seriously, as long as this series remains popular, they have so much to work with.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
Calculus20 wrote:
That being said, I'm more hyped about the inevitable announcement that will come after part 5 ends about the future of Geass. This legendary series is turning 10 years old next year after all.

This.

I'm hoping for a 50 episode sequel to season 2 in the best case scenario.

My biggest hope for years since R2 ended was that the 10th anniversary would be a remake/alternate version of R2 with Taniguchi's original plot that was planned until it was unfortuanately changed to what we saw in R2.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:32 am Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
Though I believe any sequels needs to get a few things straight to preserve what the first series achieved:
spoiler[Lelouch must remain dead. It severely damages the artistic power of the ending of season 2 if he lives. Also, the next series should probably explore the system created by Lelouch for the new world order (Its strength and weaknesses) and the main theme should be about how peace isn't some eternal gift Lelouch gave them but a step towards the future, a future now in their hands. It should demonstrate the importance of Lelouch's legacy and the series' main conflict should be about preserving the peace he created. I think any theme about the "next stage" of utopia should be kept for a future installment.]

It is implied in the ending scenes of R2's last episode that he is spoiler[still alive, riding on C.C.'s hay cart].
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:56 am Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
Totally ok with this. I want the last episode to be in top shape production wise, and with all the new stuff introduced the writing will have to be good to fill in all the holes. That being said, I'm more hyped about the inevitable announcement that will come after part 5 ends about the future of Geass. This legendary series is turning 10 years old next year after all.

Agreed. I'd definitely rather have them take the time to make sure that last ep is in top shape to take advantage of the change to making the series 5 eps.

That trailer for the 4th ep looks really nice and a cool shot of Layla for the article.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:

That could be the case, but delays always put me at unease. Just the third episode was delayed for what, a year?

If it's going to be a ten year anniversary, I don't feel they would make a third season (though I can always hope), but I feel there is a possibility of a special project of some sort.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
ANOTHER delay? What is going on at Sunrise?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote
What an odyssey! I gave up on Akito after the first 2 rather boring episodes and late in the game script re-writes killed the show after s.1 ep.23 for me. The rest was a fun-ish train wreck but that wasn´t what i signed up for so how much life does the franchise actual have in it?

The OVA 3 sold 20k but season 2 was a daytime anime so it had to make money based on ads due to the expensive time slott and the viewership ratings weren´t that hot if i remember.
Positive dics sales can´t full cover the cost in that scenario and just look at the state of the OVA.
I ultimately don´t care but what is a realistic future for Geass?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
animefanworried wrote:
Though I believe any sequels needs to get a few things straight to preserve what the first series achieved:

It is implied in the ending scenes of R2's last episode that he is spoiler[still alive, riding on C.C.'s hay cart].

After re-watching Geass not that long ago, it seemed very clear that spoiler[C.C. was talking to Lulu the same way she was talking to Marianne, which means he only exists in C's (shi/death) World. I don't remember the details precisely, but I do recall there was some indication that he had never stolen anyone's Code, either Charles' or C.C.'s.]

I'm honestly surprised this Akito thing is still ongoing. I thought it was supposed to have ended well over a year ago.
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
What an odyssey! I gave up on Akito after the first 2 rather boring episodes and late in the game script re-writes killed the show after s.1 ep.23 for me. The rest was a fun-ish train wreck but that wasn´t what i signed up for so how much life does the franchise actual have in it?

I don't think I could possibly agree less with you, both about the original show and Akito. The last three episodes of the first season were excellent and the second series, while very uneven, ended in a way that absolutely matched the original theme of the story and met all my core expectations. The final episode was almost perfect. But that's not what we should talk about here.

Personally, I have never found Akito boring at all. It does have a slower and more deliberate pace so far, but I've never been the sort of person who falls asleep if there isn't an action sequence all the time or when the characters aren't engaging in outspoken histrionics. Those can be fun too, mind you, yet there are many other ways to approach storytelling.

Your question seems mostly rhetorical. The property is barely starting to expand and it's too soon to make any sweeping statements about the future, one way or another.

Quote:
The OVA 3 sold 20k but season 2 was a daytime anime so it had to make money based on ads due to the expensive time slott and the viewership ratings weren´t that hot if i remember.
Positive dics sales can´t full cover the cost in that scenario and just look at the state of the OVA.

Your argument doesn't make much sense to me. Both seasons are among the highest selling TV anime. Beyond that, we shouldn't blindly speculate about complex financial details that all of us objectively ignore. There's simply no way to tell whether they're covering the costs or making a profit.

If anything, the fact there is even a fifth episode of Akito in the first place as well as a delay suggests the commercial realities support it and they aren't in a hurry to release a bad product simply to please the impatient.

Ironically enough, I think the fact you don't care is precisely what makes your analysis fall short.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
^
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
Wow, that image is a spoiler (for something that was semi-revealed in part three - if you didn't notice it, don't look for it.)

Anyway, they should make a new thing after Akito ends. I think it should be a redo, but not just of R2... how about something that takes the setup from the very beginning of the original series, and goes in an entirely different direction. Like the first episode is the same, and then everyone watching it thinks, "Okay, and then in the next episode, he's going to kill his brother, and Suzaku gets accused, and we know where this goes"... but then he doesn't. And completely different things happen instead.

Or, Akito doesn't come between seasons 1 and 2 of the original series, but between season 1 and a new version of season 2. I feel like the extra retcons in OtR sort of debunk that theory, but still, it would be cool.

They shouldn't make an Oz anime. The only thing good about Oz is that Lloyd is in it.

Anyway, I think parts 1 and 2 of Akito had flaws, in that they were trying too hard to be darker and edgier or whatever, and there wasn't room to really connect to the characters. Part 3 fixed all of that. Also the new sound dramas (have you seen that cover? Look it up if you haven't.). Seems like we're getting a bit more Ashley/Johannes development. That whole team just came across as Luciano clones in ep 2, but it seems like for ep 4 it's really important to understand them. Also the title of the 5th episode is promising.
I feel like they're setting up Shin to be something of a foil for Lelouch, to highlight some things a lot of people missed about his character. I won't go into it now because length, but Shin in ep 3 is what a lot of people thought Lelouch was, or should have been, and other things in that episode show how that's just not something he could be.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
lavmintrose wrote:
Wow, that image is a spoiler (for something that was semi-revealed in part three - if you didn't notice it, don't look for it.)

It's really not.
That's been around since the series was starting to come out. Hell, they had it in the pachislot game that came out around in 2012. Correct color, eye and everything.

It's very, very predictable and was visible from the very first episode but it ends up only being revealed proper in Episode 3.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

But spoiler[ Creator and Director Taniguchi already said years ago after R2 aired in an interview that Lelouch is dead. His body was sent to the sun with Damocles because they both represented evil and hatred. His death was planned from the start. Taniguchi wanted viewers to watch Geass and interpret its ending, but that ended in a heated debated between fans. Unfortunately, only a minority know this considering the debates go on even today, but thats what Taniguchi wanted...so...just as planned.] Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2