• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Soul Eater's Atsushi Ohkubo Starts En En no Shōbōtai Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
Get this, Yen Press, so we don't have to read crappy scanlations.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
*reads plot*

Not really unexplainable. People need to stop holding in their farts in order to avoid spontaneous combustion. This manga is no longer interesting now, but I guess die hard fans of Soul Eater will read it.

spoiler[Joking. I'm interesting in what Ohkubo does with the Firefighter manga.]
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
A firefighting-themed series. That's new.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
A firefighting-themed series. That's new.

I can remember one other firefighting manga (Firefighter Daigo) & that actually got licensed by Viz Media. It was a while ago though.
Sunset In the Hood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
*reads plot*

Not really unexplainable. People need to stop holding in their farts in order to avoid spontaneous combustion. This manga is no longer interesting now, but I guess die hard fans of Soul Eater will read it.

Joking. I'm interesting in what Ohkubo does with the Firefighter manga

HAHAAHHAHAHA! HOHOHEEEHEE! Oh man. That was a good one. I haven't had such a laugh since I was born. Man, you should work for CC. They'd let you take over Saturday Night Live for sure Laughing
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:

I can't endorse this enough. Of the three major fan groups that worked on the manga, they were all pretty garbage. Stick to Yen Press or learn Japanese.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sci-fi firefighting battle

This is simultaneously the dumbest and most fascinating manga premise ever.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
LaughingElbow wrote:

I can't endorse this enough. Of the three major fan groups that worked on the manga, they were all pretty garbage. Stick to Yen Press or learn Japanese.

It's Shonen Magazine. If it's gonna be anyone, it'll be Kodansha Comics. I think you can pretty much count on them licensing this.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
It's Shonen Magazine. If it's gonna be anyone, it'll be Kodansha Comics. I think you can pretty much count on them licensing this.

Yen Press have licensed a couple of series from Kodansha but Kodansha USA have first refusal and I'd guess they'll snap this up if the early chapters are decent. Plus Yen Press only release their series every three months so they'd end up pretty far behind considering it's going to be a weekly series.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Ah nice, I was wondering when he'd announce something new. Looking forward to it!
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:

Yen Press have licensed a couple of series from Kodansha but Kodansha USA have first refusal and I'd guess they'll snap this up if the early chapters are decent. Plus Yen Press only release their series every three months so they'd end up pretty far behind considering it's going to be a weekly series.

Not necessarily. The author can also have pull too. Yen Press published B. Ichi, Soul Eater, and Soul Eater Not, so with that existing relationship, Ohkubo might let it go right to Yen Press.

Like how Takehiko Inoue and Viz work together (Vagabond being a Kodansha title). Nightow and Dark Horse, etc (Blood Blockade Battlefront, does it really look like a title Viz would have passed up? Unless they've actually said so).

And Yen Press does simulpubbed chapters for $1 each for some things.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
Not necessarily. The author can also have pull too. Yen Press published B. Ichi, Soul Eater, and Soul Eater Not, so with that existing relationship, Ohkubo might let it go right to Yen Press.

Like how Takehiko Inoue and Viz work together (Vagabond being a Kodansha title). Nightow and Dark Horse, etc (Blood Blockade Battlefront, does it really look like a title Viz would have passed up? Unless they've actually said so).

And Yen Press does simulpubbed chapters for $1 each for some things.

The only title I know of where a mangaka has actively selected a US publisher is Prophecy where the mangaka approached Vertical and asked if they'd like to publish the series. I think most of the time it's logistics between publishers. Yen Press have got stuff from Kodansha and Shokugan lately so it is definitely possible they'll get this. I just think Crunchyroll & Kodansha Comics seems a more likely route.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Quote:
Sci-fi firefighting battle

This is simultaneously the dumbest and most fascinating manga premise ever.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Considering how Soul Eater ended and that sci-fi isn't really my thing, I won't read this unless this gets some fantastic reviews from multiple people.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Sounds pretty cool. Will check this out.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Firefighting from the same man behind Soul Eater? Sounds pretty awesome, I'm in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1