• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Bundle Original Anime DVD Episode With Attack on Titan Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Hm, and here I was expecting Funi to announce an Attack on Titan OVA Collection at some point. I wonder if this means they didn't get the rights to those.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Preordering ASAP.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully FUNimation will eventually get the rights to release it on home video (and for broadcast) and dub it.
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
lol I'm getting it
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Does this make Kodansha USA the first US-based manga publisher to release the manga bundled with Anime OVA in it?
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder. If Kodansha is doing this for AOT, will they later go back and release limited edition OVA Bundles for Fairy Tail as well?
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Kodansha USA is stepping on Funimation's toes with this. I'll assume that this deal is limited to just these limited edition volumes and when the limited edition volumes are gone, then the license is gone or at least that's what I hope.
I wish Kodansha USA would stop looking at new ventures to sell more Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail volumes. And just focus on expanding their digital platform and their catalog of manga, instead of getting more suction cups to milk this cash cow.
I just hope Vinland Saga doesn't go away.
shuusei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see this happen. Just a month or two ago they were saying that this kind of thing would never happen in the western market due to licenses etc.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
#shuusei wrote:
Interesting to see this happen. Just a month or two ago they were saying that this kind of thing would never happen in the western market due to licenses etc.

Normally it wouldn't and because and only because its AOT its happening. Don't get used to it though because unless a new holy grail like AOT is made the west is never receiving bundled OVAs ever again. They know they can make huge money off of it simply because AOT is fking huge here.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Hm, and here I was expecting Funi to announce an Attack on Titan OVA Collection at some point. I wonder if this means they didn't get the rights to those.

This. I seriously hope so, I picked up the OVA collections for FMA when Funi put those out. These should get dubbed, this show is big enough for that. If Funi gets to do them too then I don't mind, but if they don't then that's lame.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:
Looks like Kodansha USA is stepping on Funimation's toes with this. I'll assume that this deal is limited to just these limited edition volumes and when the limited edition volumes are gone, then the license is gone or at least that's what I hope.

There is nothing here to be alarmed about. The rights to these bundled OVA's are usually owned by someone different from the tv series adaptations. Funimation is going to have the rights for the second tv season of Attack on Titan.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Does this make Kodansha USA the first US-based manga publisher to release the manga bundled with Anime OVA in it?

No, Tokyopop did this with Psychic Academy and it's ONA series years ago, and maybe a 2nd series that I'm not remembering.

Still, it is very unusual to see this happen in the West.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

There is nothing here to be alarmed about. The rights to these bundled OVA's are usually owned by someone different from the tv series adaptations.

This.
And it's things like this why R1 distributors don't usually get them.
(still saddened that we don't have any of the TLR OVAs)
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I think this is the first time I've ever heard of a U.S publisher doing this.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Given the popularity of AoT here and considering it is arguably Funi's biggest property here (For a show that isn't DB, Eva, Hetalia, One Piece, or FMA), I would think it would be wise for Kodansha USA to try and have the Funi VA pool dub this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2