• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan: Part I (Live-Action Movie)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
Welp, I don't think I'm wrong when I say most people thought this was going to suck, given all the history with these adaptations. So at least the fact that it is any good is a pleasant surprise, and also that they can take this premise and use it in different ways, because such a premise has a ton of possibilites.

I also guess, by how much you praise the atmosphere and tone, that the performances are also spot-on, or good enough, aren't they?
Seif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
Oh shit. I gotta see this.

Not at all what I was expecting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jppcouto wrote:
the only thing this movie gives me is COMEDY. Japanese can hardly do good movies and this one is another example.

Japan is known for their horror films.

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
So...Eren Jaegar is now Lucius Hunt?
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:50 am Reply with quote
I'm totally okay with it not being a true adaptation. Actually I think I'm more excited for it as a result
Ryuhei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
the only thing this movie gives me is COMEDY. Japanese can hardly do good movies and this one is another example. The actors are bad... special effects look cheap, it's hard to feel something. This almost reminds me Devilman Horrible Live-action (well, AoT looks a little better at least).

If Hollyhood made a movie for this franchise, probably it would look nice, but if it's Japan doing...

Ugh, that troll...
"Japanese can hardly do good movies". Are you refering to movies in general? Plenty of japanese movies are great and receive awards worldwide.

Do you think movies are just one genre, the "mindless, action heavy, mostly for teens" genre? (as you mention Hollywood). In fact, with the bloated budgets many "Hollywood" movies have nowadays, it´s an absolute "crime" that half of them are quite bad.

Seriously, that prepotent generalization borders blind-hate.

I wouldn´t be surprised if you haven´t even watched the movie, and just went ahead with your hateful post after seeing a trailer or something. Even though the review paints a positive picture. Maybe THAT enraged you.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
So its not a faithful adaptation? That figures.

From the looks of it, the visuals are entirely different from the anime. I was hoping for something that looked more realistic rather than stylized.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
the only thing this movie gives me is COMEDY. Japanese can hardly do good movies and this one is another example. The actors are bad... special effects look cheap, it's hard to feel something. This almost reminds me Devilman Horrible Live-action (well, AoT looks a little better at least).

If Hollyhood made a movie for this franchise, probably it would look nice, but if it's Japan doing...

Hope didn't mention any bad acting or cheap special effects. Sounds like they made a good movie with the budget they had. Yeah, its not a CGI Hollywood flick, but it sounds like they put in the effort.

Think Hope would have mentioned if the costuming was bad and the special effects were horrible.

Anyway, even if Hollywood gets its hands on Attack on Titan, it would be a crap shot on what we would actually get. Some directors would want not to just localize it, but to actually reimagine the series to their own ideas.

Attack on Titan needs a big budget, it needs a director and writers that know how to adapt source material, and that love the original story. Missing any of those basic ingredients, who knows what we would get out of Hollywood.

Japan didn't have the budget, so we got a horror movie, though it sounds like an interesting movie. Will have to give it a go.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
Color me surprised at this being actually good Shocked. Seems like the director did the smart move of making the material his own,along with making an accessible movie to people not totally familiar with the material. Wasn't planning on seeing this,am definitely going to give it a watch now.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
I really want to watch this now. I wasn't expecting much at all from this, but I'm glad they decided to go in a different direction with it based on the limitations of the medium. I actually wish more movie adaptations would do this.
Does anyone know when this is coming West, if at all?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I really want to watch this now. I wasn't expecting much at all from this, but I'm glad they decided to go in a different direction with it based on the limitations of the medium. I actually wish more movie adaptations would do this.
Does anyone know when this is coming West, if at all?

"Limited theatrical release" in Fall 2015. Part II opens in Japan in September so I wonder if they're just gonna show both films at once. The first part was 90 minutes and just blew right past, so I'm really excited to see where they go in the second half.

For the record I liked this just as much as Hope did. They achieve something really special by eschewing glossy, polished CG and instead blending a hybrid of tokusatsu and kaiju techniques with CG. The resulting look is this heightened, stylized reality that achieves something CG alone couldn't do. The opening 10 minutes of this thing are goddamn terrifying, it's like they pulled images right out of my nightmares.

Really was not expecting this to be as effective as it was. It could've been so bad but it wound up giving me something you basically never see, which is horror imagery that feels new.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
I didn't have huge expectations for this but it actually sounds pretty good. I might check it out once it's released here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Welp, I don't think I'm wrong when I say most people thought this was going to suck, given all the history with these adaptations. So at least the fact that it is any good is a pleasant surprise, and also that they can take this premise and use it in different ways, because such a premise has a ton of possibilites.

Well, given the track record of live action anime movies, you really couldn't blame anyone for thinking it was going to be trash. Maybe that helps, since when something actually good comes out of that, it really stands out.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
The approach taken with the Titans themselves actually makes a lot of sense. Full CG ends up looking pretty bad without a big budget, and since the Titans are all humanoid in appearance, using real actors and building from there seems more fitting than full CG.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I had zero interest in this movie, but this review has made me curious.

blaizevincent wrote:
I'm totally okay with it not being a true adaptation. Actually I think I'm more excited for it as a result

Me too.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:

I also guess, by how much you praise the atmosphere and tone, that the performances are also spot-on, or good enough, aren't they?

Yup! I went in expecting j-drama style acting, but that's not what this was. Everyone gives a solid, realism-style performance to fit the horror tone of the movie. I didn't mention the acting in specific because there's not really a standout member of the cast, and it's all pretty low-key.

Also, I made careful not to spoil them in the review, but if anyone has questions about specific plot points, character changes, aesthetic changes, whatever, and doesn't mind being spoiled, I can answer them in here.

The greatest (vague) spoiler I'm dying to share after seeing this movie is something silly that happens in it that will totally never happen in the original material: spoiler[Eren touches a boob.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4