• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Kamisama Kiss mangaka Julietta Suzuki

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you have any personal thoughts about people in other countries who scan manga and translate it for free online? It's an illegal practice, but they scan the manga and they translate it and make it available for free. Do you have any thoughts on that? How do you feel as an artist about that?

No. I want them to stop it. I pay for something that I enjoy and people do not cherish something they get for free. It's unappreciated.

Just felt it needed to be emphasized again.

(Edit: Just fixed a grammatical error.)

Last edited by crosswithyou on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
And of course there's still the valid defense that the content is often not available in the language that person needs and so scanlations and their only option. Yes, even today this happens. English speakers are lucky.

And I also disagree with her greatly on that cherish thing. I appreciate/cherish a ton of free stuff...sometimes MORE than if I bought it myself. Mostly gifts from people I don't expect them from, but in general the quality of something determines whether or not I appreciate/cherish it.

Don't mistake me though, I'm not condoning piracy...It's just a fact that not everything is available to people legally and it remains the only way for them to be exposed to it. We're not quite at that ideal world yet, where everyone can get anything they wanna watch or read in their language.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
In first place Japanese aren't as poor as people from others countries...
but tbh i would expect author to like the idea that people all over the world read her works, even if illegally, and if they had to pay for her manga to read, i doubt many people would do it:( even if they had available it in their countries, since they don't have... i mean it's not cheap stuff.
So it's unappreciate she says, in my opinion though, there's more people aboard who enjoy her manga than the people in Japan. Especially when it comes to male demographic.
Just while in Japan manga/anime can be easily bought by normal workers, outside you need to be richer.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Last question – what’s your favorite film?

Fight Club.

Somehow, I didn't quite expect that. =D
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
Artist tells you directly they don't want you to pirate their work, you respond by telling her she's wrong or doesn't understand or "should" appreciate it.

At what point does the person making the entertainment for you matter?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Artist tells you directly they don't want you to pirate their work, you respond by telling her she's wrong or doesn't understand or "should" appreciate it.

At what point does the person making the entertainment for you matter?

I didn't mean she should appreciate it, but that she believes it's unappreciate by others and i believe otherwise that you don't need to buy things you care about... yeah ik i wrote that crappy:( should've used word cherish i just read a little time before i wrote this postt so i remembered only overall the content.

Well i normally don't care much about author since how am i supposed to care in first place:), but when i read interview i guess i care then? i mean i read it after all,
i personally don't read much manga, im more of anime and visual novel person i guess.
But yeah i guess author would want people to buy their product, i understand that obviously.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
I live on the other side of the world and shipping costs a lot. I can't buy stuff from America because the shipping would kill me.

But I DO buy manga from Japan, especially those which come with Drama CD's from CDJapan and Amazon Japan. Manga is cheaper there as well.

And it's almost impossible for me to watch anime legally because of where I live. I only have Daisuki and I used it for Kuroko no Basuke season 3. And the Crunchyroll manga app is helpful too. If more stuff is available not just in the US but in other places too, it would be nice. But hey, I know that manga/anime is not that mainstream.

P.S If Hana to Akuma is licensed in English, I will buy it in a heartbeat no matter what the cost. But it will probably never be licensed because of the age gap thing. Confused
lys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Isn't bookdepository (free shipping worldwide) an option for those outside the US?

I do think there is something to say for how much we value or cherish something we actually invest in (buying a book, or receiving as a gift from someone else and finding a place on our shelf, etc for it) compared to something we can find on a website, marathon read in a couple hours, and immediately move on to the next thing. Maybe this doesn't happen with every reader or every series, but I do think manga piracy devalues the medium overall: there is soooo much content available, and there is now an expectation by many that they have a right to read all of it, whenever/wherever they want, without paying a cent. It's been said before, but none of us have a right to read manga in our language if it doesn't exist or we can't afford it(/find a legal way to access it, like libraries or borrowing from friends).

I realize I'm speaking from a place of privilege, as an adult with a job living in the US... but honestly people pirating manga from countries that don't have a manga publishing industry are probably not the main problem being called out here. In the US where manga is widely available and B&N, RightStuf, Amazon frequently have sales or discounted prices for books, most of my friends who are manga/anime fans (both students and adults) still default to pirating their content. There's not much excuse for that other than ignorance (not realizing they're pirating, or that it has an impact on what can be published and whether publishers can stay in business) or simply not caring (because they don't value the work, they just want something to entertain them in their downtime).
---
That endless source of frustration aside, the other interview questions and responses were also good reads! Thanks ANN :) I do enjoy when we can look to multiple examples of a mangaka's work, and see how certain themes (like "being human") emerge that they are personally interested in exploring. I also laughed at the inspiration for writing Karakuri Odette starting with something as simple as pink hair :D
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Book depository ships free to me. All those lovely volumes of What Did You Eat Yesterday?...

Maybe you could argue for piracy back in the day when it was far harder to find the stuff, but in this day and age of near limitless legal options--some of which are free!--there's not so much ground to stand on any more.

Sure, I read illegal scans too, but always endeavour to buy a volume or two if I love it, to be fair. Which is probably why the volumes of manga I can't read (but like to look at) are mounting up towards the ceiling. Embarassed
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people would love to buy manga if only it were available in their country. All we can do is pray that manga publishers like Yen Press and others actually license the manga we like.

I love how Yen Press is offering some manga digitally for now instead of a print release. I think something like that helps to get lesser known titles translated, even if they'll only be in e-book format. Yen Press is really going in all the right directions lately, licensing light novels and offering a lot of manga digitally.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I went to Suzuki's autograph session, and to be honest, I wasn't impressed. Some artists are fantastic to be around - friendly, engaging, pushing themselves to make sure everyone gets a little something and/or just really happy to be there. Others are just there for the free trip. Suzuki seemed like she was more of the latter. I had more fun with Kamitani and Yamatogawa, the two artists that Project H brought over that were both incredibly overworked, than I did with Suzuki. Perhaps for some, once you get big enough, your attitude towards your fans no longer matters? Either way, I can tell you whose manga I'm going to continue to buy, even if the subject matter doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I was also really sad to see that there were no Suzuki sketches donated by Viz Media at the AX charity auction. Whether that was because Viz didn't want to donate any (they had one in their 'Wall o' shikishi') or Suzuki and/or her management didn't want her to draw anything, it was depressing. Though, then again, I wouldn't be surprised if AX took whatever was drawn and gave that to their investors....like a certain SUSHIO's Anime Expo sketches that were posted on Twitter account last week.

Hawkmoth wrote:
Sure, I read illegal scans too, but always endeavour to buy a volume or two if I love it, to be fair.:

I think most people are like this. Most people support the industry in a variety of ways, including buying manga, DVDs/Blu-Rays and whatever merchandise when they can afford to do so.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Interesting interview, haven't read anything by her so some of the questions relating specifically to aspects of her work went over my head a tad. Though I do have an interest in her work(s) so it was a nice introduction to the person behind it.

Both agree (since she's created it) and disagree with her on scanlations. Without them I wouldn't have discovered my favourite mangaka (Ryuta Amazume), I wouldn't have gone and imported every book by him I can find (minus out of print books for now), even got a fair few double dipped in German (no, can't read that either). I certainly appreciated it enough.

Yes it can be bad for those series already licensed, people will always want to get things for free. That will never change. I see that attitude a lot on sites like MAL where people would rather stop reading if scans stop than buy the volumes (Triage X prime example).

It works both ways though, for series not licensed or seemingly never will be because of supposedly objectionable content (Ro-Kyu-Bu!, Kodomo no Jikan) or otherwise (Hajime no Ippo, Baby Steps or Kenichi) in English speaking countries I think scanlations are beneficial. Builds up a fanbase and even if a minute percentage of them buy some volumes from Japan, France, Germany etc. then that's better than the nothing no scanlations would likely bring.

There are no numbers showing benefits nor drawbacks for them so the debate won't end.

Last edited by EighteenSky on Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
InuKag1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Should have asked if there was gonna be a season 3 of Kamisama Kiss!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
in regards to scanlations, you don't really have to feel guilty when it has hit public domain but that will be decades from now. If Disney had their way, they would lengthen as long as they could.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Yes if someone was reading scanlations of Kamisama Kiss in the U.S or France that would just be silly because they can read and collect the series legally.

But I don't really feel any guilt about reading scanlations of Chihayafuru for example when I have no legal alternative. In fact Kodansha has pretty much said they won't license it because it is too esotoric. They haven't even put it up digitally on places like CR where I could support it there.

As for buying Japanese manga I do on occasion when it comes with something extra like a prize. But unfortunately I don't have space for manga I can't even read (but speaking of Chihayafuru I also bought those two English translated volumes)

So yeah there is always hope that publishers will bring over the manga I want to buy but sometimes hoping is not enough (also waiting for someone.....I guess Viz to license Yona of the Dawn)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3