• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2007 - Con Chair Interview

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I would like to actually congratulate Otakon staff for a job well done overall

Me, being one of the world's biggest Haruhi-tards, was ecstatic about Hirano-san coming over to the US, but AX totally botched the opportunity. Everyone was upset: the guests, Bandai, and the fans.

Overall, I would say that Otakon did a better job and I enjoyed Otakon more than AX despite a less stellar guest list compared to AX.

Here's hoping that Otakon will get the SOS girls here again and show AX how it SHOULD be done.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Otakon! One day AX with bow to thee!

Anyways great job as always and here's to see you in 08!

Three cheers everyone.
Heretic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I had a great time this year. Ryuuhei Kitamura was an awesome guest. I hope next year is even better.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow, not a single word about Eminence. That's a real pity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
Wow, not a single word about Eminence. That's a real pity.

There will be plenty of words about Eminence soon enough.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:58 am Reply with quote
Heretic wrote:
I had a great time this year. Ryuuhei Kitamura was an awesome guest. I hope next year is even better.

Ryuhei Kitamura is awesome and I regret not being able to attend Otakon so that I could meet the guy and talk about the finer points of Commando with him, but why would they line up a guest like him and then not show a single one of his works during the convention? They were already running other titles from Media Blasters and Sony Pictures in the video rooms, so surely they could have gotten permission to at least show Versus and Godzilla: Final Wars, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
In defense of the guest list....I'd say it was more of a change of pace in some areas, and a bunch of big wins in others.

We had one of the hot new acts from Japan, AAA, and the concert was well received. The biggest complaints on that front seem to have been from the J-Rock fans -- but that particular subgroup of fandom is impossible to please; if you didn't bring whatever band they happen to be huge fans of, then you're going to get the complaints. And you know, we've been serving them pretty much exclusively and it was time to shake things up a bit.

Eminence, with composer Sakimoto in tow, were fantastic. Utterly fantastic.

Mind you, I didn't get to see either show myself until I reviewed the archive recordings, but when I did I was blown away.

We had two of the biggest name Seiyuu (Seki and Noto), two directors with a huge pile of hits to their name (Asaka has NANA and CHOBITS and CARDCAPTOR SAKURA to his credit, and Kodama has DETECTIVE CONAN, CITY HUNTER, and LUPIN as well as the new KEKKAISHI to his), and the producer behind the monday night "must see anime" block in Japan (Mr Suwa). Kitamura is basically Japan's answer to Tarrantino, and kicking off a hollywood career, and his panels were pretty full too. And we had a pretty big-name manga-ka in Murakami. We had a bunch of voice actors who've been high on peoples' wish lists, who'd never been to Otakon before, as well as a few returning favorites like Vic and Colleen. We've been trying to bring Steve in for what feels like forever, and Aaron hasn't done many cons at all. Mike S and Stephanie Sheh (aka Jennifer Sekiguchi) are popular, and have big current shows. And just for fun, we had a Robotech guest in Steve Yun. Plus the usual webguys.

The only unrepresented segment was character designers.
Reikon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Otakon sounds so much better run than AX. I would go to Otakon instead if it wasn't across the country.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Man, being a con president must be insanely stressful, but probably quite rewarding, too. So much to keep track of...

It was a great con this year, with no significant problems that I could tell. And I'm glad they were able to get the con back in August for next time. 08-08-08...too bad this isn't their 24th convention or it'd be perfect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1