• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Love Live! The School Idol Movie

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
Erm, spoiler[wasn't the "mysterious, possibly time-traveling street corner singer" an older Honoka?] That may be speculation rather than a spoiler, but I remember feeling pretty confident in my deduction—did I miss any evidence against it?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
Another interesting element of this film is the third-act setup of Love Live Sunshine, which is about as soft-gloved as it could possibly be: spoiler[u's teams up with former rivals A-RISE and other school idol groups to give us a big number]… to promote the idea of school idols itself. It's shrewd, because it's calculated to make you want more Love Live, without explicitly taking away u's in favor of Aqours (compare to how badly that fourth Indiana Jones film attempted to sell us on Shia Lebouf as an equal to and replacement for the aging Harrison Ford).
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
I loved the movie! I was somewhat nervous when I went to see it, but I had a great time, and thought it was a wonderful experience. I wasn't sure if it would be able to capture what I particularly enjoyed about the series, but it exceeded my expectations. From the character interactions to the music, it was all awesome to me. I definitely plan on watching it again when I can.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
This was the first movie I ever watched in a theatre in Japan, back in July. I did like the musical numbers and some of the character interactions, but overall I couldn't help but feel a little underwhelmed. Unlike Nick I didn't really notice an improvement in animation quality over the TV series (although, admittedly, that might be because my first impression was ruined by some really conspicuous CGI cars and crowds in the very beginning). Nor did I find any of the humour particularly funny - I do remember that I chuckled exactly twice, but for the life of me I can't recall at what exactly. The rest of the audience didn't laugh all that much either, although to be fair that screening was pretty late in the theatrical run, so the audience probably largely consisted of superfans who had already seen all the gags numerous times and casual viewers who were never that into Love Live! to begin with. Plus the whole "mysterious woman" subplot felt like an awkward and unnecessary attempt to add elements of magical realism. I couldn't help but compare this movie to the K-On! movie, and overall I find the latter to be better in almost every way, from the handling of the travel abroad experience to complimenting the finale of the TV series. Still, more μ's songs and heartwarming moments are never not welcome as far as I'm concerned, and the free poster I got was a nice bonus.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
Erm, spoiler[wasn't the "mysterious, possibly time-traveling street corner singer" an older Honoka?] That may be speculation rather than a spoiler, but I remember feeling pretty confident in my deduction—did I miss any evidence against it?

Nope, it's clear that spoiler[Honoka is envisioning a future her when she's still unsure of her path for the u's.] The real mystery is how spoiler[Honoka got that purple case]; we never see her at a spoiler[music store so...did she steal it from some random street performer??]

The film was pure fluff; exactly what I expected. Loved watching it in an audience because some of the jokes got alot of laughs. I was cracking up when the girls saw the shows dangling on a phone wire (very accurate to American city) and Nozomi just rips off a pair of shoes & hurls it. Laughing
The last song, Bokutachi wa Hitotsu no Hikari , was left me a tad misty. The subtitles translating "The little bird's wings have finally grown large" really finalized the u's story. Oh, and seeing Honoka's sister Yukiho and Eli's sister Alisa wearing spoiler[Third Year ribbons] was too much. The live action short before the film was kinda cool with the VAs short cute (scripted) messages.
wastrel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm so very glad I'm not a movie critic.

When I saw the movie, I didn't notice the CGI scenes. I didn't pay attention to the animation quality. I didn't keep track of where I laughed and where I didn't.

I didn't have to analyze it, I just enjoyed it. In fact, I enjoyed it a great deal.

I'm not knocking critics at all. I'm just glad I get to enjoy things without dissecting them to death.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm disgusted that this movie even exists. At least one third of the second season was spent on the characters winding things up and saying goodbye to their time as idols, visiting each place that mattered to them, reflecting on what they had accomplished together. It was a good ending, if a bit mawkish. Or, it would have been alright, but the final minute of the show then added a cliffhanger to set up this pointless money grab of a movie. Such a horrible decision with its blatant commercial sensibilities instantly ruined all those heartfelt goodbyes just so the franchise could keep milking the cash cow.
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[And the show's ever-growing self-awareness and fan-awareness actually leads to some of its best moments, like when Nico finds herself watching her “girlfriend” being stolen right out from under her].

Oh the theater erupted when it got to this part. just, erupted.

I'm also loving my Rin shishiki :DDD
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm disgusted that this movie even exists. At least one third of the second season was spent on the characters winding things up and saying goodbye to their time as idols, visiting each place that mattered to them, reflecting on what they had accomplished together. It was a good ending, if a bit mawkish. Or, it would have been alright, but the final minute of the show then added a cliffhanger to set up this pointless money grab of a movie. Such a horrible decision with its blatant commercial sensibilities instantly ruined all those heartfelt goodbyes just so the franchise could keep milking the cash cow.

So uh...what did you think about the film?
DLH112

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I saw it in Boston yesterday, which was the only showing there. I get the criticism in the review, the movie was basically just fanservice. That's what I, and probably everyone else, was expecting it /wanted it to be though. That's just the type of show it is/was. I think the atmosphere in the theater made it waaay more enjoyable than it would be if i waited and watched it alone when the BD came out. it was an amazing experience.

theres something i didn't fully understand though...
spoiler[ was the last song (bokutachi wa hitotsu no hikari) an actual performance or just some animation before the credits started? yukiho/arisa's speech made it sound like they were actually doing it to me. Seemed like they're broken up but every once in a while they'll get together and do a concert for fun or something. and after season 1's OP was in season 2, i want to know when season 2's OP takes place Sad .]
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Many people who went to the Boston premiere in here, myself included Anime smile

This movie, the atmosphere in the theater, was amazing. I was nervous as well as this was my first time seeing an anime film in a theater but it'll be a moment I treasure forever.

Love Live is now cemented as my favorite series of all time and this was an absolutely beautiful and touching finale to a series that is close to my heart. Thank you NISA as well for setting this screening up and absolutely can't wait to watch the series again once the dubbed sets release Anime smile
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I watched Love Love movie in San Francisco yesterday.

Honestly the movie felt like fan service and a lot of teenagers were squealing at Yuri moments int the movie. Some of audience actually brought and waved glow sticks whenever there is musical scene.

Audience aside, I wasn't too impressed by the story and acts in the movie felt like 2~3 separate episodes crammed together. Animation quality was little better than TV series, but not spectacular. I still cringed at 3DCG dance sequence, but at least they covered the flaw as much as possible with hand drawn animations and rapid cuts.

Just like vonPeterhof, the movie'a humor wasn't funny and I felt awkward.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fresh from an incredible run in Japanese theaters, the Love Live movie hit American theaters like an extinction-level meteor made of cute girls and catchy pop music this weekend. Nick Creamer survived the experience...

I know nothing of Love-Live and don't care, but this made me read the article, expecting to get at least a paragraph about the experience, which, given what I imagine to be the demographic for this from the blurb's description, I thought might be interesting. Alas, not one word. :/
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
So uh...what did you think about the film?

I thought it was clear that I didn't watch it. I mean, why would I watch something whose very existence ruins the franchise on both narrative and artistic levels?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I thought it was clear that I didn't watch it. I mean, why would I watch something whose very existence ruins the franchise on both narrative and artistic levels?
So bringing about a grand conclusion to the story of μ's and giving closure as to what's in store for the future of Honoka, A-RISE, Otonokizaka and School Idols in general (Which is something that the second season did not address) ruins the franchise? Well, let's just agree to disagree shall we?

wastrel wrote:
I'm so very glad I'm not a movie critic.
I don't think the writers for this site are movie critics either. At least as far as I know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4