• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Anime Season 1 Gets DVD Release With English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shuusei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
kinda disappointing that they don't plan for blu ray
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Did this get a South East Asian dub or something? Wonder why Funimation would try to hide it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
shuusei wrote:
kinda disappointing that they don't plan for blu ray

I don't think there is even a Japanese bluray release for this...
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the image the art kinda reminded me of the old Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon for some reason haha

Will check it out the dvd and dub when they release!
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation confirmed with ANN that, while the release will have an English dub, the default setting on the DVDs will be Japanese with English subtitles.

Other than the Dragon Ball Z Dragon Boxes (which were a limited release for hardcore fans), has Funimation ever actually done this like... ever?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean there is a chance for a physical rellease of the Tatami Galaxy, which is another older and apparently forgotten title by Funimation.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting and I don't think it got BD release since it was long running series which usually don't get BD release
MysticLeviathan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, this is really intriguing. I'm really curious who's going to be cast for the dub. My understanding is FUNimation only licensed the first season, I wonder if they'll also be licensing the second season, which is much better imo.

Unfortunately, the animation for the first half of the first season, maybe a bit more, is pretty garbage. It's extremely choppy and quite ugly in places, even though I understand and respect what the guys behind it were trying to do, it just failed horribly.

Outside of the atrocious animation, the anime really isn't that bad. However, the fact it's defaulted to sub rather than dub does seem kinda odd. It must mean they're either not particularly proud of the dub, there's some sort of deal with the original anime that an English version would default to the original Japanese, or maybe FUNimation is doing a new format where future releases will default to the original Japanese, though the latter seems very unlikely.

The manga is absolutely superb, hopefully this might lead to the series' actually getting licensed in English.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The weirdness of this series suddenly seeing the light of day here aside, the whole situation with the priority of the audio tracks being reversed is even stranger since Funimation's pretty much never done that. I recalled something about a VA who said he was in the dub a while back and dismissed it but now it seems like that was legit. Although since said VA also lives in Canada it's odd he'd be in it. I don't want to think Funimation would have somehow went to Blue Water for this but...

Well at any rate we could certainly use some more clarification for what's going on with this release...
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Did this get a South East Asian dub or something? Wonder why Funimation would try to hide it.

Word of that dub was leaked, in a sense, just short of a year ago, when internet personality RobMan (of happy Console Gamer fame) revealed at a video game con's NCG panel that he got the role of a secondary character for the Kingdom dub, so it's not some Singapore dub by any means. Still, RobMan is Canadian, so there's a possibility that this dub was given to another studio & won't be the usual Texas talent.

Anyway, I'm glad that this release is finally happening, & for a really good deal, too. I'm definitely going to pick this up in January.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Word of that dub was leaked, in a sense, just short of a year ago, when internet personality RobMan (of happy Console Gamer fame) revealed at a video game con's NCG panel that he got the role of a secondary character for the Kingdom dub, so it's not some Singapore dub by any means. Still, RobMan is Canadian, so there's a possibility that this dub was given to another studio & won't be the usual Texas talent.

Anyway, I'm glad that this release is finally happening, & for a really good deal, too. I'm definitely going to pick this up in January.

Very interesting. I'm quite curious who's in the cast and who dubbed it now.

Cool that they're releasing it and in a whole season set, I'll probably be buying it.
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Why they are default it to Japanese Audio with English subs?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if FUNimation did hire someone like Blue Water to dub it. Given how weak the Canadian dollar is right now, it'd probably be cheaper to outsource it (compared to a few years ago when the Shana re-casts happened).

And if it is a Blue Water dub, I'd also understand their decision to make the Japanese the default audio track. I wouldn't want them attached to my show, either. Confused
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
It took them long enough.
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if FUNimation did hire someone like Blue Water to dub it. Given how weak the Canadian dollar is right now, it'd probably be cheaper to outsource it (compared to a few years ago when the Shana re-casts happened).

And if it is a Blue Water dub, I'd also understand their decision to make the Japanese the default audio track. I wouldn't want them attached to my show, either. Confused

Yeah RightStuf did that to most of their releases before the change of operation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2