• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Umi, Myself, and I

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
As for the DVDs, I noticed something interesting in this picture, and figured it would make a good trivia question: directly above one of the DVD box sets is its own distantly-related sequel, name both titles.

"Rumbling Hearts" and Muv-Luv Alt.:Total Eclipse, I presume.

I had one of those Gaiking toys long, long ago. At some point, I took it apart, and eventually threw it away. ^_^;
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
invalidname wrote:
As for the DVDs, I noticed something interesting in this picture, and figured it would make a good trivia question: directly above one of the DVD box sets is its own distantly-related sequel, name both titles.

"Rumbling Hearts" and Muv-Luv Alt.:Total Eclipse, I presume.

Nicely done! Yep, that was it.
Quote:
I had one of those Gaiking toys long, long ago. At some point, I took it apart, and eventually threw it away. ^_^;

I've held onto all the little missles (this is before the child safety advocates freaked out about the choking hazard the missiles presented), and the springs for Gaiking's chest and Mazinger's fingers mostly still work.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I love the Wake Up, Girls! poster!! Where'd you get that thing?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I love the Wake Up, Girls! poster!! Where'd you get that thing?

WUG! performed live at Anime Central 2014, and had a signing at the Crunchyroll booth.

Related: Kaya is best WUG.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Turn A being used to do laundry

I mentioned this previously, and I'm so glad to see someone else did too. It's really one of those moments where we you get to see how human the cast is and how they reflect on their humanity.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
WUG! performed live at Anime Central 2014, and had a signing at the Crunchyroll booth.

Related: Kaya is best WUG.

Meeting them was such a treat! By the time I got there, they were out of posters (though one was mailed to me later) but thankfully I brought my own copy of the official guide book and had them all sign their own pages in there. The concert was fantastic, and they all loved my cosplay (I was Umi from Magic Knight Rayearth...though if I'm being honest they loved my Mokona plush backpack more than me, haha!)

Kaya is best WUG. I told her so and she spazzed haha

Great collection Very Happy
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Turn-A Part 2 Review wrote:
For Gundam fans, it must be melancholic to consider that all the other series culminated in the dark history.

Can't really fault you for saying that since this was your first Gundam, but that isn't really how it works.

Anyway, great review for a great series.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think that I will check out Turn A Gundam for myself. I've never watched a Gundam series, but this does sound like something I may enjoy.

Are the movies any good?

And, I'm happy to see Umi Monogatari got a positive review. Sure, there are problems mentioned, but it is a series I've been meaning to check out.

While both, I think, have been released through RightStuf...don't know if I'll be seeing either get brought over to Aus. May just have to import the both of them.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a shame that this release isn't Blu-Ray. Turn A Gundam is a strong production with great art, animation, and direction.

Agreed. I'm sure it will come out eventually, but until it does I'll have to hold off on buying it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Are the movies any good?

The movies just retell the series. I haven't seen the Turn-A movies so I don't know exactly how rushed they are. Sometimes the compilation movies do a pretty good job, but sometimes it seems like they're really for people who have seen the series as they skip around too fast / cut too much.

Covnam wrote:
Quote:
It's a shame that this release isn't Blu-Ray. Turn A Gundam is a strong production with great art, animation, and direction.

Agreed. I'm sure it will come out eventually, but until it does I'll have to hold off on buying it.

Seeing as how they aren't doing blurays for any of the older gundams so far, I think we most likely will never get them here.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Are the movies any good?

The movies just retell the series. I haven't seen the Turn-A movies so I don't know exactly how rushed they are. Sometimes the compilation movies do a pretty good job, but sometimes it seems like they're really for people who have seen the series as they skip around too fast / cut too much.

Ah, so they're just compilation movies? Only saw them quickly on RightStuf, but I'll forget about them if they are just recaps.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I've heard people say they're awful compilations of the TV episodes, though I don't know if it was due to how much Turn A Gundam was disliked at the time of its fansubs back then or if the movies are both genuinely that bad.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

I've heard people say they're awful compilations of the TV episodes, though I don't know if it was due to how much Turn A Gundam was disliked at the time of its fansubs back then or if the movies are both genuinely that bad.

Many Gundam get compilation movies, its like a tradition after the success of the Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy. However I find the only time it actually worked very well was the Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy where it was possible to cut a lot out, they also reanimated a lot. They put a lot of work into re-presenting Mobile Suit Gundam. All the other compilation movies aren't as much re-presenting a better version but instead are just a quickly made money grab rehash clip show.

As far as I knew there never was fansubs for the Turn A Gundam movies. Nobody cared enough to fansub those. For years all we had to watch those movies with were horrible subs from Hong Kong bootleg. Until the recent RightStuf release that is.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd pretty much agree. First had enough fluff plus it was Tomino's first one and I think the benefit of hindsight helped it flow better the second time. So they didn't seem to have the speedy skipping around that most of the compilation movies do and to me actually felt like a smoother story.

The Zeta compilation movies were pretty solid as well, but Tomino rewrote the story which makes them non canon since the changes would prevent ZZ/CCA from happening exactly how they were suppose to. It also had a good bit reanimated though.

Destiny got 4 movies which helped a lot with that rushed feel, but it is still Destiny so...
Kurai_Seraphim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
One thing to note is that the actual tone of Mobile Suit Gundam changed a bit when they did the original movie trilogy.

Mobile Suit Gundam (the TV series) was a bit more super robot than the film trilogy. In the TV show, the Gundam has a few sillier weapons and stuff like the G-Armor so it can transform into other forms. It also has other G-weapons (like Gunperry and Guntank) and stuff that was removed because it seemed too silly or impractical compared against the tone of the movies.

The movie trilogy also introduces Newtypes a bit earlier, so they're less of an "out of nowhere' concept than they were in the TV series. If you're going in with other Gundam franchise knowledge it's probably not a big deal (as you're used to this sorta thing), but I imagine at the time it probably felt like a genre shift when they went from mostly scifi to include some psychic stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2