• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam UC's New 11th Novel Volume Confirmed for Early 2016

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Really? What else is there to say? Is it going to be about how spoiler[the revelation of the original UC Charter probably had no effect whatsoever?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
amagee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Really? What else is there to say? Is it going to be about how spoiler[the revelation of the original UC Charter probably had no effect whatsoever?]

I'd argue that the spoiler[revelation of the charter] probably helped encourage the political stagnation of the Earth Federation you see happening later in the Universal Century.

Though I'm also wondering what sort of ground they intend to tread with this now.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
Could be this is an epilogue trying to wrap up what happened after series ended on 10th volume and OVA episode 07?
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
There's no other explanation to this than milking the cashcow. The story wasn't relevant to the overall UC at all and the final ovas/novel volumes were much worse than the early ones.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Umm, so I guess Angelo wants revenge for Full Frontal? I honestly don't see what else is left to tell in that story.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Well apart from maybe telling us what happened to the characters afterwards there are two options.

1.) Show how the events of Unicorn led to the political climate of F91

2.) Ignore the events of F91 and go in a completely new direction. Basically an alternate/what if scenario.
Sploradorali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:43 am Reply with quote
The reason there is going to be another volume is that the story isn't complete. The most obvious flaw of the Unicorn novels (that everyone liked to complain about) is that it ended very ambiguously -- even moreso than the anime series. The novel ended with (novel and OVA ending spoilers) spoiler[Banagher/Unicorn stopping and starting to return after Riddhe was calling for him. The OVA went further and showed him waking up and flying back to Megallanica. The novel was a dead stop before that point and nobody knew if Banagher really lived. Even the OVA is rather ambiguous: We don't know what happens to all of the characters, but the prospect is rather confusing. Whether or not they're able to escape the Federation or if they're protected/pardoned is a mystery, since the Federation obviously had every intention to kill them until the very end when the Unicorn rainbow'ed their fleet off.]

Also, saying that Unicorn's story retcons or has no place in the late UC timeline is a rather weak criticism of the plot. The events of Unicorn do fit into the late UC timeline, and the story fulfilled its purpose: the end of the Federation/Zeon conflict. The Federation is in bad shape during the events of F91 and Zeon isn't even really in the equation anymore. Of course, we'd be squeezing the events of Unicorn in, but you could easily say that spoiler[the true UC charter] could have had a big impact on the power of the Federation at this point. There's still war, but not the same kind of war that devastated humanity. I'd welcome any novel that could potentially elaborate on this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1