• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans' English Dub Reveals More Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bryce Papenbrook

Oh no
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Quote:
Bryce Papenbrook

Oh no

he's not playing the main character though which is rare (granted this is not an Aniplex of America dub, that company is obsessed with him) I think he deserves some work even if he's over used
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm even more excited for this dub. I can feel it's going to be a solid one. Haven't heard a Gundam dub in ages either.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
@anddo!: He's not cast as frequently as you may think. Seriously, I wish more people would complain about how overused a lot of the Japanese VA are/how their voices don't fit a role and thus was a mistake for the director to cast them.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Quote:
Bryce Papenbrook

Oh no

My thought exactly.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
anddo! wrote:
Quote:
Bryce Papenbrook

Oh no

he's not playing the main character though which is rare (granted this is not an Aniplex of America dub, that company is obsessed with him) I think he deserves some work even if he's over used

Laughing It's a funny thought: He'll be conflicting WITH the main character (Eugene vs Orga) and complaining a lot.

The rest of the cast seems alright; Erholtz should be reliable as boss #2 (3?) What would you call Akihiro?

{Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
anddo! wrote:
Quote:
Bryce Papenbrook

Oh no

My thought exactly.

Why is everyone against Bryce? Rolling Eyes

{Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Quote:
Bryce Papenbrook

Oh no

Oh yes.

If you really want overused VAs, the list of 7 most in-demand Japanese VAs is over here. Incidentally, Yoshimasa Hosoya and Natsuki Hanae were both in IBO.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Looks good!

Kadmos1 wrote:
@anddo!: He's not cast as frequently as you may think. Seriously, I wish more people would complain about how overused a lot of the Japanese VA are/how their voices don't fit a role and thus was a mistake for the director to cast them.

This. The complaints almost never go both ways and yet Japanese VAs are just as, if not more, overused sometimes, and often even in more roles in one season.
amagee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
It seems like, overall, they might be lightening some of the voices too much; for my taste; Orga, Akihiro, and Eugene being the prime examples. This isn't usually something I associate with English dubs but it can happen.

I'll reserve final judgement for when the dub comes out but I think such a step risks losing some of the gravitas that Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans goes for.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
Nice can't wait for the English dub release of Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans and what would be even better is if IBO airs on Toonami. Cool
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
This. The complaints almost never go both ways and yet Japanese VAs are just as, if not more, overused sometimes, and often even in more roles in one season.

It's because there seems to be some crazy belief the Japanese can never do anything wrong with their voice acting, no matter how often they cast the same person over and over or if they miscast a character with a completely unfitting voice. If you ask me, they've definitely used quite a few people of their own far too often, like Maaya Sakamoto, Rie Kugimiya (isn't everyone sick of her tsundere typecasting by now?) and Miyuki Sawashiro. When I pointed these three out specifically at one point, I got called out for it, like I was "desecrating the sanctity of Japanese voice acting" or something to that effect.

So we can accuse our own studios of overusing certain actors too often and say we even miscast them, but apparently Japan is somehow exempt from this argument? Nice to see how this double standard works. Rolling Eyes
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Nice can't wait for the English dub release of Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans and what would be even better is if IBO airs on Toonami. Cool

Right on. Getting a current new Gundam dubbed this relatively quickly would be perfect for Toonami.
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a solid dub in the works, will be waiting it's release. Smile
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Now I'm even more excited for this dub. I can feel it's going to be a solid one. Haven't heard a Gundam dub in ages either.
actually its been only three years (the last was Unicorn in 2012).

However that was an OVA, though if your talking about an TV series then your half right. while there haven't been any dub series in the US since SEED & SEED Destiny , other series like AGE as well as Build Fighters & Build Fighters Try had a dub version but for the eastern audiences which are rarely seen in the US and canada regions and english dubs for that region are produced by Animax Asia which have a rep of producing atrocious dub versions. even worse than 4kids or nelvana at times and unfortunately their dub versions of AGE are no exception. Hopefully if iron blooded orphans is successful, it will mean that AGE as well as Build Fighters get an english dub version.

and speaking of which its actually right stuff/nozumi that is handing the gundam series now since bandai went six feet under. not aniplex of america.

DangerMouse wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

Right on. Getting a current new Gundam dubbed this relatively quickly would be perfect for Toonami.

Highly doubt it will be on toonami/as. there haven't been a successful gundam series that did well there since Wing , G Gundam ,0080 War in the Pocket and 0083 Stardust Memory. especially how badly SEED was received when it showed on toonami (though it was mainly due to the heavy editing and censorships).

If they showed Unicorn unedited for the holidays then it would be possible (though only for Build Fighters & Build Fighters Try series), but from the way things are now, its highly unlikely IBO let alone any gundam series will get an AS broadcast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2