• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chika Chika Idol Anime's Japanese Crowdfunding Campaign Launches

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote
If it didn't have the 3d CG thing going for it id donate $50 easy.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
I'm really interested in seeing how well this show is going to fare, but the fact that it'll be in 3D makes me a bit skeptical towards it.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
I'd donate quickly, if I had any disposable income. I mean, seriously, this CGI looks better than Knights of Sidonia or Ajin... Not that I have any complaints with the shows in question.

I still find it hard to believe Arpeggio of Blue Steel was a CGI anime.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
The CG is alright in this one but even through nearly 40% of the budget is going towards the CG, I'm still a tad skeptical. I do like the voice acting though. If they can throw in a daki of the character of my choice, then maybe I'll take the risk.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I do find it pretty interesting that anime crowdfunding has become appealing enough that we have Japanese crowdfunding websites for such a thing now. Or is that a general crowdfunding website? Still, the big animation companies in Japan tend not to be that tech-savvy, so this must be a real disruptive force.

The CGI is not that smooth, but it is pretty well-done for a small team with presently no budget.

I am also glad that Chika Chika Idol has gotten the "running to the left" shot out of the way this soon.

I don't know if I'd back it though...doesn't seem like something I'd watch.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
I'd donate quickly, if I had any disposable income. I mean, seriously, this CGI looks better than Knights of Sidonia or Ajin... Not that I have any complaints with the shows in question.

Really? This is some of the worst CG I've ever seen in the last few years. Not even close to the level of Sidonia in any technical way. Models are sloppy and too angular, mouth movements are stiff and droopy, shadows are all over the place, body proportions are inconsistent. Check 0:35 seconds into the video and you can see pretty much every problem all at once! I haven't seen Ajin, since it's not legally streaming, but I highly doubt it's this bad.
I didn't expect much from a low budget project like this, especially before they even had funding, but this is way below even my low expectations. I'd back it instantly if it looked like that Animator Expo Evangelion Idol short, or if it was on par with Sidonia, but nah, even with the extras, I can't justify spending money toward this. I don't really like CG, to begin with, but I can appreciate well done work. This is... ugh. [/img]
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:41 am Reply with quote
The CG looks good (There is nothing wrong with 3D animation trying to emulate hand drawn stuff. It has it's own benefits. Even if it doesn't look like the typical Disney 3D animated film.), I wish it was at a higher framerate. But Idols? Really? Is this kind of stuff something they couldn't sell to a committee?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
For a small staff who knows how, CG is more cost-effective
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
The CG looks good (There is nothing wrong with 3D animation trying to emulate hand drawn stuff. It has it's own benefits. Even if it doesn't look like the typical Disney 3D animated film.), I wish it was at a higher framerate. But Idols? Really? Is this kind of stuff something they couldn't sell to a committee?

They're trying to test the waters, if it is really successful, I fear for Idolm@ster Million Live, it might have CG dancing. This could easily pass inspection by a committee as a 7-12 minute short with 12-24 episodes. Then there's possible hype, if they pitched this and it would've been successfully funded by a committee, you wouldn't have the hype that it would have if it was crowdfunded, this is the first crowdfunded original idol anime, it might well be forgotten or scoffed at and forgotten by most anime watchers.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

They're trying to test the waters, if it is really successful, I fear for Idolm@ster Million Live, it might have CG dancing. This could easily pass inspection by a committee as a 7-12 minute short with 12-24 episodes. Then there's possible hype, if they pitched this and it would've been successfully funded by a committee, you wouldn't have the hype that it would have if it was crowdfunded, this is the first crowdfunded original idol anime, it might well be forgotten or scoffed at and forgotten by most anime watchers.

As long as Megumi Kouno is involved in Idolmaster, she'll do everything in her power to keep the dancing 2d. I don't know what her involvement in Million Live will be, but she is an Angel, and I hope she has a lot of control going forward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1