• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chika Chika Idol Anime Project Launches Kickstarter Campaign

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
I want this to succeed if it means more anime shows getting the kickstarter treatment, but I'm seriously thinking these people overestimated the Idol genre's popularity in North America.
Akaime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
I don't really like the cell 3D animation that much. Still hope it works out for them.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
Am I missing something or are they really crowdfunding a generic idol anime, a genre that's already overcrowded?

That'd be like crowdfunding a call of duty clone...
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
going to keep an eye on this. If it looks like it getting near the goal or surpasses it ill chip in $55
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
I really hope the Kickstarter of Chika Chika Idol becomes a success, but with the way those computer graphic images look at the moment, they could be a turn-off for some.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
The art looks very cute, but it seems kind of pricey. How many episodes/whats the length going to be?
NishizawaMihashi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:06 am Reply with quote
Hmm... The concept behind this IP doesn't really stand out all that well, notwithstanding the sheer proliferation of idol-type IPs within the broader scope of the creative climate in contemporary anime. Frankly, I'd rather they focus their energies on something different instead.

In any case, in regards to the CGI, the mouth-flaps are animated in such a way that they merely open and close- up, down, up down with little variation in actual mouth movements. Also, there's like almost no visual depth of field when one looks at the mouths themselves so yeah, get to work on that production team.

What is important to note though is that if projects like these are indeed successfully funded via crowdfunding platforms, then perhaps it would encourage even more producers to attempt to fund their projects via direct crowdfunding. Though like I said just now, I would rather they just focus on conceiving some other kind of anime instead.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:54 am Reply with quote
I don't see why they think marketing this kind of show to western audiences would be a profitable venture.

I mean, out of all the idol shows to come out over the past few years Love Live is probably the only one that's amassed a sizeable amount of popularity in the west (Granted Idolm@ster might have had a shot if the guys in charge of marketing the show to western audiences struck while the iron was hot instead of sitting around twiddling their thumbs).

Even in their home country these shows have varying levels of success. Love Live, Aikatsu and Idolm@ster are explosively popular but what about WUG and AKB0048? Don't hear too many people talking about them now do you?
Randomfart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
It's disgusting that there's an audience for this.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Looks really cute! Definitely interested in the LE bluray depending on price. Would be realky sweet if there was an English dub stretch goal, I'd certainly give a bit extra to help it reach that Anime smile
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Chipped in $25 for now, let's see how far this goes, might be willing to up my pledge.

razisgosu wrote:
The art looks very cute, but it seems kind of pricey. How many episodes/whats the length going to be?

The kickstarter says it'll be 15 minutes AT LEAST. So depending on funding, it might be longer.
DillMan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Every time I see something like this I am just like "why can't we have this exact same concept, but substitute in male characters". So inundated with cutesy girls, the boys get no love, makes me sad.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
DillMan wrote:
Every time I see something like this I am just like "why can't we have this exact same concept, but substitute in male characters". So inundated with cutesy girls, the boys get no love, makes me sad.

Check out Uta no Prince-Sama and idolish7 for all of your male idol needs =P
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
15 minutes? Uh no, it needs to be at least 20 minutes or no buy. $55 for one short episode and not even a soundtrack with the BD is highway robbery and the higher tiers aren't very exciting.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
Would be realky sweet if there was an English dub stretch goal, I'd certainly give a bit extra to help it reach that Anime smile
Me too, but I'll bet they will be lazy and not dub the actual songs ala love live dub... man that dub was such a disaster for doing that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2