• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Mar 4-10

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to Konosuba on its first number 1 spot and BBK/BRNK on its first top ten ranking. Nice to see Rakugo going in the right direction, at least in the weekly rankings. Lots of competition for last now that Shippuden is out of Ninja Scrolls hell.

I'm thinking that IBO and Grimgar will be back up again next week. Really hoping Gintama goes up even more, especially after today's episode.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Funny how Grimgar's half-fanservice episode gets it 11 positions down, while Konosuba's entirely-fanservice episode gets it the top spot.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Just shows execution and situational appropriateness are important to fanservice. The fanservice just worked in the Konosuba episode and just didn't in the Grimgar episode.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I completely understand why this is the result, but it's a funny fact considering how the premise of both shows seems so alike and how utterly different they are in pretty much everything else.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
They are certainly quite different. One way they are similar, other than their premise, both shows show how you can't just write something off because their genre, both in terms of quality and variety. Both shows have been better than most expected in the beginning and from their trapped in a mmorpg premise. Both are also very different shows, showing the premise still has things in it that have not already been done, or at least not as well. If last season's Chivalry showed the magic school action harem or whatever you want to call it genre should not be written off sight unseen, these two show that the trapped in a mmorpg genre should not be either, though one could argue they are just transported to an mmorpg like fantasy world rather than a game itself.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
I doubt that Grimgar's ranking had much to do with it being a 'semi-fanservice' episode and more so to do with it being a story transition episode.

Nothing worth much mention happened in episode 9 except stage setting for the next adventure. A pretty episode to be sure with a few cool transition shots, but not a lot of meat worth chewing. Confused

(Personally, I feel it could only barely be considered a fanservice episode. It was a cooldown episode after episode 8's arc conclusion/climax. But Barbara showed up so I guess the label sticks. Smile )

Edit: Jeebus. Erased really did take a ranking nosedive. I knew that episode was divisive but golly gee willikers!

Last edited by stilldemented on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
Wow! Never doubt the power of fanservice, its a scary thing! Still Konosuba probably also greatly benefited from the fall of other show, looking at you erased, you know what you did! Go reflect on it in the corner now.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
Hoping Erased goes back up next week, only if it deserved it of course. I think some of the shock will come off, though some will probably continue to hold the last episode against it. If it doesn't improve though, it will deserve the last ep being held against it.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
stilldemented wrote:
(Personally, I feel it could only barely be considered a fanservice episode. It was a cooldown episode after episode 8's arc conclusion/climax. But Barbara showed up so I guess the label sticks. Smile )

The transition and the quiet nature of their day off were, imo, what Grimgar does right, so I wouldn't say those would be cause for anyone who's been watching so far to consider this episode below any other its given. The fanservice on the other hand happened only really the one time on episode 1 and now here, and felt just out of place.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Certainly the particular fanservice hasn't shown up since episode 1 but to say there hasn't been fanservice since then isn't quite right, unless one discounts the show's fixation on Yume's legs and butt (and Mary's legs briefly in the episode in question). Admittedly not as much in the boobs and panty shots fanservice generally trades in but fanservice nonetheless. The other instances were more appropriately executed, usually a pov shot from Haruhiro's eyes.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
The transition and the quiet nature of their day off were, imo, what Grimgar does right, so I wouldn't say those would be cause for anyone who's been watching so far to consider this episode below any other its given. The fanservice on the other hand happened only really the one time on episode 1 and now here, and felt just out of place.

Depends on how one reads into it I suppose. Grimgar has been pretty high in the rankings since episode 4's game changer. Episode 9 feels like it hearkens back to episodes 1-3 where very little worth mentioning is happening storywise.

While it's true that atmosphere is most definitely one of Grimgar's strengths...I really don't expect more casual anime viewers to place that sort of serene quality above other shows that are more striking in nature.

That's how I gel it. Laughing
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I also find it interesting with the difference between Konosuba's and Grimgar viewers view on the fanservice. I guess the people watching Grimgar expect more of a story/character driven plot and the fanservice justs gets in the way and disrupts the flow of the show whereas for an anime like Konosuba you'd expect quite a bit of fanservice in the show and it's just the norm that comes with the comedic sequences and doesn't seem like it doesn't belong there.

And I'm also happy to see Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu getting higher up the ranks now as well as Snow White with Red Hair Smile
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Really hoping Gintama goes up even more, especially after today's episode.

Gintama's had a good run with these two arcs, but it's got to the point where you can tell they've run out of budget for the fight sequences. Frankly, I think they did already during the Shogun Assassination arc. That's why I'm partly happy they're calling it quits after this one and going on a break again.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Viewed cumulatively, Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū and ERASED underwent barely any net change in popularity this week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I have some juicy predictions regarding Shouwa, depends on the pacing of the episodes tho. Will see if my theory is correct Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2