• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Tonari no Seki-kun

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Tonari no Seki-kun works best in brief spurts for me as well. ^^; That aside, holy smokes, I had no clue Princess Tutu was getting re-released! I missed out snagging earlier copies, and from the lone Amazon review, it seems like this DVD avoids stacking the discs unlike a lot of earlier releases. Smile
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
Nice collection. I think the Saber Lily just got a rerelease set for November. I'm back to the stage not having any more money for figures so I had to pass on it. I have like 6 sabers, none the original spoiler[unless you count Mysterious Heroine X].

I liked Tonari no Seki kun. Though HanaKana was probably a big reason. She does good work.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
That is a very nice collection. I am especially impressed with all the anime special editions.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Yeah, Tonari no Seki-kun works best in brief spurts for me as well. Anime smile;

With the thread of strange short series, Seki-kun is on my short list of all-time best examples of GOOD short series, that play one joke with perfect five-minute timing, end on the punchline, and don't have time to explore any deeper relationships than the manga-concept gags.
Even if it is variations of one joke over and over, the one joke every episode proceeds with Pythonesque logical progression and anime-comedy "minor epic" deadpan.

(Yamishibai Ghost Stores S1&2 is also on the list of Short Series Done Right, but there's not much repeat value once you get three minutes of setup to the "jump" reveal. Okay, maybe for the two Miku ED themes. Anime smile )

Quote:
That aside, holy smokes, I had no clue Princess Tutu was getting re-released! I missed out snagging earlier copies, and from the lone Amazon review, it seems like this DVD avoids stacking the discs unlike a lot of earlier releases. Smile

But...who and vas ist das is "AESir Holdings"?? Confused I still have my ADV set (the "gritty" looking box with Rue on the cover, after Best Buy was mean to them), so I don't know where all the ADV license-rescues went, and I was hoping Funi would snap this salvage up just on continuing fan-fame, or Discotek for classic-reputation value.
HEY!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice buddy christ figure.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
It was a big deal when we upgraded to dvd singles & artboxes. I gained much of my collection by working there. The pay was s**t but god bless that nice fat employee discount. Every week we'd get in new movie shipments and employees could go through it all before it hit shelves. Nothing like going through the weekly shipment of new anime singles and getting the next volume of the new show each month.

That old job certainly paid dividends. Unsurprisingly you have some veritable gems to hand, the likes of which we are unlikely to see again in stores. Sadly my pedantry gets the better of me: your Banner of the Stars collection is somewhat out of order, and your Plastic Little DVD appears to be in want of cover art. (Not that I would wish to find fault in your exceeding talents as an anime archivist.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shaterri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Obviously this is a YMMV situation, but unlike the reviewer here one of the reasons I particularly liked Tonari no Seki-kun is because it was able to step outside the bounds of its premise and keep expanding it from time to time. The show could have been 12 clones of episode 1, but it was able to shake things up just enough to keep things feeling fresh — whether it was stepping outside for an episode or two, or Yokoi getting her revenge in Shogi, or the glorious shipper-on-board scenes once Gotō shows up. The heart of the show is obviously the dynamic between the two leads, but it never felt like it was slacking off and just propping itself up on that core joke.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
If the episode count is 21 I take it the set is missing the two extra episodes from the Japanese DVD release and the one episode bundled with a volume of the manga. That probably nixes it for me.

Quote:
There's no...out-of-place fanservice.

Certainly true in every practical sense but I believe the curviness of Yokoi's character design is for the obvious reason. I like this kind of zero-profile approach to sex appeal.

Last edited by Fronzel on Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
HEY! wrote:

It's particularly hilarious how he's just randomly placed amongst all the anime girls.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
Obviously this is a YMMV situation, but unlike the reviewer here one of the reasons I particularly liked Tonari no Seki-kun is because it was able to step outside the bounds of its premise and keep expanding it from time to time. The show could have been 12 clones of episode 1, but it was able to shake things up just enough to keep things feeling fresh — whether it was stepping outside for an episode or two, or Yokoi getting her revenge in Shogi, or the glorious shipper-on-board scenes once Gotō shows up. The heart of the show is obviously the dynamic between the two leads, but it never felt like it was slacking off and just propping itself up on that core joke.

That's the thing that really carries the show, the episodes are fraternal twins, not clones. Much alike to each other, but also much different.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Psycho101:

I've heard that storing DVD cases on their sides can cause the DVDs to warp after about ten years. Seen any problems, or is that basically just an unfounded rumor in your opinion?
fathergoat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Yeah, Tonari no Seki-kun works best in brief spurts for me as well. ^^; That aside, holy smokes, I had no clue Princess Tutu was getting re-released! I missed out snagging earlier copies, and from the lone Amazon review, it seems like this DVD avoids stacking the discs unlike a lot of earlier releases. Smile

I bought the release of Tutu that had them stacked. It bothered me so much I bought a new case that was also the right size to fit the cover. For those who haven't seen it I recommend it.
gwdone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Awesome collection!!!! Interesting how it grows and grows and grows.................
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Definitely getting that Princess Tutu Complete Collection DVD.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Nice collection. I think the Saber Lily just got a rerelease set for November. I'm back to the stage not having any more money for figures so I had to pass on it. I have like 6 sabers, none the original spoiler[unless you count Mysterious Heroine X].

I have a new Saber on pre-order for June/July from Ami Ami lol. Saber isn't even my favorite from the Fate universe either. Love me some female Rider. Saber though just has so many honestly beautiful and well designed figures. Which is what I base a big part of my figure buying on. Sure I buy figures for series I like but I've also bought figures I had no idea what the show was they were from because they looked so nice. Hence why I have 4 figures from hentai series lol. Also shows why I have so many Ikki Tousen figures. The series not great by any stretch, same with Queen's Blade, but damn do they make some nice figures for the series. And lots of them too. At this point I think I want at least 1 Saber figure for each version of her heh. Might as well shoot for it given how many I already have.

angelmcazares wrote:
That is a very nice collection. I am especially impressed with all the anime special editions.

Thank you. When you're going to blow a lot of money you might as well pay the little extra and get the SE's when possible. As the say go big or go home. If you're gonna be poor than be broke ass poor. That makes me laugh but also cry inside some.

Zin5ki wrote:

That old job certainly paid dividends. Unsurprisingly you have some veritable gems to hand, the likes of which we are unlikely to see again in stores. Sadly my pedantry gets the better of me: your Banner of the Stars collection is somewhat out of order, and your Plastic Little DVD appears to be in want of cover art. (Not that I would wish to find fault in your exceeding talents as an anime archivist.)

I did the BOTS on purpose that way. I was debating about going alphabetically or keeping the show together. I opted to get it together with COTS and COTS did come first. So BOTS got placed in the C's. I honestly debated entirely tooooo long about that decision too. The reason for the Plastic Little dvd being missing, and some others from the box sets which you can't see as I display the boxes art side out always, is I used to get them signed by the VA's and other industry people. I have a big binder of such items and other signed items.

varmintx wrote:
HEY! wrote:

It's particularly hilarious how he's just randomly placed amongst all the anime girls.

Nothing random about it. Wink He ties the whole collection together, and also promotes harmony amongst the ladies. I can also say technically it's a religious themed collection since I have the good ole son of god front and center. Keeps the parents happy.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Psycho101:

I've heard that storing DVD cases on their sides can cause the DVDs to warp after about ten years. Seen any problems, or is that basically just an unfounded rumor in your opinion?

Depends on the weight on top of them and if there's direct sunlight shooting right at them. Over time I could see it happening and have had it happen to a few cases of mine. I tend to "flip" my sets around though to prevent any excess leaning or bending. Just as I flip my comic TPB collection every so often.

And for the record the series inside those 3 dvd holders include Air, Basalisk, Boys Be, Bubble Gum Crisis 2040, Clannad, Diamond Daydreams, Divergence Eve, & DE Misaki Chronicles, all the DBZ Movies up to Broly 2, Fate Stay Night, GITS SAC Second Gig, Godannar, Gunsword, Jinki Extend, Law of Ueki, Mai Otome (want to get the big box for the set like the My Hime one), Samurai 7, Street Fighter II V, and Tekkaman Blade.

As for the series that are out and being borrowed that includes Moribito, UFO Ultra Maiden Valkyrie (all 3 seasons and OVA), The Wallflower, School Rumble season 2, Bamboo Blade, Ano Hana (one of my more pricey recent sets but worth it to me), Blue Drop, Darker than Black (yes I have the original dvd releases and no I ain't selling them lol), Ga-Rei Zero, High School DxD season 1, Irresponsible Captain Tyler (original dvd set), Goldenboy, High School of the Dead, Paprika, Samurai X Trust/Betrayal, Devil is a Part Timer, and Code Breaker. Our one friend borrows big chunks at a time. She's a binge watcher. Went through the first 100 episodes of Gintama in a week. The last one not in the photos (cause it was in the other room and I forgot it) is Outbreak Company which I just got.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2