• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-kai Watch 2 Games Head to U.S. in September After 2nd Anime Season's Summer Debut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised that they're localizing the second game after the first one only sold about ~130,000 copies in North America and the merch sales seemed pretty disappointing since every time I saw the Yokai Watch section in the toy aisle it was always very plentiful. Then again, maybe they're hoping this holiday season might turn the franchise around. (I still don't understand why they didn't roll out the toys until February/March)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
It might be a case of "betting on the franchise", momentary financial stumbles can be justified if say by the time Yokai Watch 3 (or some future installment, say a theoretical launch title for Nintendo NX) where the potential fandom ends up finally giving attention to Yokai Watch.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad, I really enjoyed the first game and I've been trying to support the series by buying merch/watching the anime, but for a while it really looked like this wasn't going to happen.

Incidentally, does anyone know what the differences between the two versions are? Is it just different available yokai?
SniperRuleZ

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
FI.NA.LLY!
But I'm surprised they decided to go for 2 versions like Honke and Gansou instead of just releasing 1 version which is Shinuchi. This game isn't that popular in the west yet to warrant for multiple version gimmicks.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming "Bony Spirits" is Ganso while "Fleshy Souls" is Honke?

Anyhow, from what I've seen at my local GameStop, the shelves were stuffed with Yōkai Watch plushies and the people there seemed to show little or no interest. However, the prospect may be a bit different in other areas outside my vicinity.

Hence, I'm a bit amazed that Yōkai Watch 2 is coming despite the initial game of the franchise reportedly not selling so well...

Edit:

SniperRuleZ wrote:
FI.NA.LLY!
But I'm surprised they decided to go for 2 versions like Honke and Gansou instead of just releasing 1 version which is Shinuchi.

You know what... Considering that Shin'uchi is the updated version of both Ganso and Honke, I have to wonder why Level-5 decided to debut the two former titles instead... Perhaps they're trying to encourage use of the trading system, which wasn't featured in the initial game of Yōkai Watch? Confused
Cetais

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
I'm kinda surprised that they're localizing the second game after the first one only sold about ~130,000 copies in North America

That was during the first two months. It's expected around 400 000 now.

The mobile game, Wibble Wobble, is really popular.
The anime is got great ratings, getting a lot of viewership.
The manga is now one of the best sellers of Viz Media, near Zelda and Pokémon.
Also, the toys are really popular in certains zones in the US.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Contrary to popular belief, the dub is accurate. It just has some annoying name changes. Even the episode titles are mostly literal translations. It's not a 4kids. It's better than any Dragon Ball dub not called Kai, BOG or FnF.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yo-Kai_Watch_episodes
Cetais

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, the dub is accurate.
Yeah, it's almost the same as the Japanese version. The changes are more quality of life changes, except maybe one or two scenes that got re-animated a bit because it wasn't quite acceptable in America. (Robonyan, showing his metallic ass and begging to be... huh... screwed...)

(I mean, the scene is still there, but his pose got changed.)
Guile

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, the dub is accurate. It just has some annoying name changes. Even the episode titles are mostly literal translations. It's not a 4kids. It's better than any Dragon Ball dub not called Kai, BOG or FnF.

Other fans have told me otherwise.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/the-na-version-of-the-yo-kai-watch-anime-turned-scenes-of-macho-men-in-spee?S=0&D=cp&C=content_publish&M=entry_form&channel_id=1&entry_id=29164

I'm surprised doing a 2 version released in the Americas. Especially with three on the horizon the third Superior version already out.
Cetais

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Other fans have told me otherwise.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/the-na-version-of-the-yo-kai-watch-anime-turned-scenes-of-macho-men-in-spee?S=0&D=cp&C=content_publish&M=entry_form&channel_id=1&entry_id=29164

I'm surprised doing a 2 version released in the Americas. Especially with three on the horizon the third Superior version already out.
There's a total of 2 censored scenes in the anime. This one, and another one to make it seems less perverted. In 26 episodes.
Also, after the release of the third version, the two other versions got updated with the new content.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

I'm curious... What features does Shin'uchi have that Ganso and Honke doesn't?
Cetais

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Guile wrote:

I'm curious... What features does Shin'uchi have that Ganso and Honke doesn't?
Between Ganso and Honke, there's minors story changes. In Shinuchi, you can choose which version the story is set. And you can change it later. (I'm not sure if it makes the version exclusive's yokai change)

Here's the wiki page:
http://yokaiwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Yo-Kai_Watch_2:_Shin'uchi
Quote:
Differences

New elements include:

Darknyan,Yami Kyubi and Hikari Orochi are available.
You can befriend the Kaima Ghost Leaders.
New and updated quests.
New boss Yo-kai, both in the story and in Oni Busters Mode.
Jibakoma can be obtained via a 3DS QR Code.
Buchinyan is included in the packaged version of the game.
Most of these changes are available on Ganso and Honke's update.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Between Ganso and Honke, there's minors story changes. In Shinuchi, you can choose which version the story is set. And you can change it later. (I'm not sure if it makes the version exclusive's yokai change)

In other words, both Ganso and Honke are basically available in the third version, Shin'uchi?
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that the games are coming out so soon. Also the series seems to be popular where I'm at. Seeing as stores are always sold out of merchandise.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
There's a total of 2 censored scenes in the anime. This one, and another one to make it seems less perverted. In 26 episodes. .
In the two or three dub episode I have seen alone there have been a lot more than just two edits. Every instance of NyaKB48 was censored by turning their swimwear into street clothes, and they showed up more than 2 times by themselves. Jinmenken also had all his instances of urinating on screen removed, drinking booze turned into 'toilet water', and in general toned down his pervertedness with women. I also remember Kanchi's butt being covered up. Then of course that macho man scene that was mentioned. So it was definately a lot more than just 2 edits.

Since the toy line is going to be focusing on the Zero line, I guess that means they have no plans to release the Fumi version of the watch? My friend was disappointed when the girl version never came out here.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2