• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Manga Gets Live-Action Film in Winter 2017

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sori also said he could not yet reveal details on how Alphonse will be presented in the film, but is confident fans will be satisfied.

I want a sexy-leg lamp.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
If they're all going to be Japanese, will Scar be played by an Okinawan?
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Ryosuke Yamada was an amazing Kindaichi but a terrible Nagisa, so this could be either amazing or awful. He's the right size, at least.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
omg I love FMA and Im scared how this is gonna turn out Sad I hope it ain't as bad as the AoT live action..
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I think they could've gone for a blond Euro girl for Winry to make it more faithful to Euro-set show.
lady-leen

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I love FMAB so much and it's one of my top 10 anime of all time
and I'm like everyone don't want it to be a disappointment like AoT live-action
but I like Yamada and the rest of the cast is awesome as well!! let's hope they won't destroy Al by horrible CG at least xD
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. I just don't see this. While FMAB is, in my opinion, the anime series closest to perfection, it's just too long and packed to be properly adapted into a movie. They'd have to split in into, like, four parts - and since when has General Hakuro had a big role other than in the 2003 anime? Not to mention that, like AOT, everyone is non-Japanese, so...
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I like FMA and all, but I can't see them having the budget to pull this off...
sinfonia

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm not too excited about this. FMA is my favorite manga series, and FMAB is my favorite anime, accordingly. I'm still bleeding from the AOT live action, so I'm not looking forward to them possibly not doing this magnificent series justice. There's way too much story for one movie, so either they're gonna make more than one, or they're gonna butcher the story to fit into one movie. Sigh.

Here's hoping they do it justice!
Loveless100

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Yama-chan will do a good job as Ed. Even though I feel like other Hey Say JUMP members would do just as well, it's good to see him in this role.

I'm just concerned (as always) about a Johnnys member being in a movie like this. Usually they have a tight hold on rights (especially if a group's music is involved) so it's rare that we see it overseas (other than the occasional film festival or on an airplane's entertainment system).
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
This is laughable, I'm wondering when these Japanese movie studios and Japanese actors will stop embarrassing them selves for making awful live action adaptation that they can't possibly make.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
This could be great or it could be total garbage. I'm interested to see how they'll portray Alphonse and how the alchemy works.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
This is laughable, I'm wondering when these Japanese movie studios and Japanese actors will stop embarrassing them selves for making awful live action adaptation that they can't possibly make.

So you're saying an entire country's industry should just give up? That's ridiculous.

I know one of the reasons a lot of people, not all but quite a lot, disliked the AoT movies was due to the effects but it's silly to dislike something because they can't pour obscene amounts of money into this. It's not like the effects were badly done, they just didn't have the world's greatest CGI, but it still worked.

Granted, I'm unsure of how the story will work, but FMA seems like something you could take the major plot points of and make a good series of movies out of.
pandoraking

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
live-action adaptation of shonen superpowers never work unless it has super budget, which it wont
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, this should be... interesting. If it gets more people into actually reading the manga or watching the two TV shows, it may be worth it even if the movie isn't topnotch. I just hope they don't foul it up too much. Some transmutations seem like they would be difficult to do in live-action, nevermind the chimeras or the homunculi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4