• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan by Series: 2016 (First Half)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Konosuba the very top...nice. No doubt that the anime gave it a boost after it began airing this year.

I have a feeling that Regarding Reincarnated to Slime will be a big thing in the future as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Konosuba ranking top for LN's makes me very happy, glad that Yen press picked it up
KH91

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
With the new law in place stating that the number 13 is the new number 1, I want to congratulate our goddess Hestia on topping the charts.

So happy Mahouka is in the top 3.

Shout out to DAL on making the top 30.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, Hestia had all those internet memes last year, so I think her popularity still helps.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know if the number for Re:zero are health enough to warrant more anime adaption? I know that it is a 25 episode series but I want to know if these numbers give it enough of a boost to warrant a possible sequel.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm thrilled that KonoSuba is No. 1; the anime show was a big help with its showcasing of some fantastic magic tricks.

Also ecstatic that DanMachi made it among the Top 15. All thanks to a certain gal with the mysterious blue ribbon... Wink
Calculus20

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
SAO still proving it's a dominant force in the LN department. I think it's probably the most successful LN series to date.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Monogatari cracks the top five, so I'm pretty satisfied Wink
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Anyone know if the number for Re:zero are health enough to warrant more anime adaption? I know that it is a 25 episode series but I want to know if these numbers give it enough of a boost to warrant a possible sequel.

The novel's sales are okay, but there are too many factors to determine whether a series gets an anime adaptation or not. Some things have amazing manga/LN sales and never get sequels because the anime series bombed, like Chihayafuru. Even if the anime sells well like Overlord, One Punch Man or No Game no Life, it's not really a guarantee of more anime adaptations. It depends on what the producers were hoping to get from the anime in the first place.
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
DAL is #30 but still happy to see it on the list
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the anime version, I am pleased to see Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash in the top 10. I hope there is a second anime season.
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
i'm impressed to see Slime Datta in the top 20. It's a pretty good series, I wouldn't doubt to see it get an anime soon.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:42 am Reply with quote
FWIW that's 298108 (4.6%) fewer sales than the same period last year. Biggest climber is Konosuba (not in the top 30 last year) & the biggest drop is Naruto (4th last year, didn't chart this year). Eight titles from this year were in the chart last year.

Incidentally, Konosuba outsold SNAFU (last years top seller) by 138227 units. It contributed 13% of total sales vs 10% for SNAFU. I mention this because it was the only position (not title) in the chart that saw an increase.

Compared to the Manga chart, the relative decline in sales is noticeably smaller, even accounting for Konosuba. Of course the total sales of manga still dwarf those of LNs. The top five sellers both contributed about the same % of total sales (LN=34.5%, Manga=37%). However only two of the top five LNs were in the top five last year, compared to four manga titles. Six of the top ten LNs were not in the chart last year, compared to two manga titles.
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

It's definitely a very good sign that Re:Zero managed to get within the top 10 with only 1/3 of its active advertising done. Not only that but it also managed to get that high when in only ~ 2 months of the time span that counts the sales ( That's about 1/3 ) there was was active advertising done. The majority of series I see in the top ranks had multiple advertisings through anime seasons while being popular for quite some while ( best example would be SAO ) or aired their full adaptation within these 6 months and had some time to utilize the generated boost to the fullest ( best example here would be KonoSuba ). So the fact that Re:Zero can hold its own is remarkable.

So if we expect the sales to stagnate until it's done in October it could actually get past the 800k mark which would be really good. Combined with the boost that usually lasts a few weeks after an anime is done it might even break the 1 million mark. As far als I know Volume 9 releases around the time when the anime is about to end so this should also give it a recognizable boost.

The Last time Iooked at the amazon stalker lists ( estimated amount of sales for Volume 1 of the BDs on the release date) it was within the top 90 which is extremely good.

So all in all it looks very good so far but we have to wait until we can say something definite.
chito895

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
Konosuba and Grimgar were my favorite anime from Winter, so I'm extremely happy both are selling so well! I'm not sure if I'll pick the Konosuba novels, but I'd totally buy the anime release if someone had licensed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2