• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'MyJump' Customizable Manga Subscription App Launches, Video Previews Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
What a disappointment. Lol wow.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
That price is kind of steep...Viz is offering what, 9 or 10 weekly series right now? And they're doing it for about US$2 per month, and they're currently ongoing series.

Interesting to see the series that flopped are also included on there. I saw Sporting Salt on the first video, for instance. I wonder if they have one-shots too.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I would love to read all those titles! Too bad I can't read japanese Sad
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Is this just backlog titles, or does it include current series as well? Not sure what their digital pricing is (or if there even is an option), but even the 20 title option is (just slightly) less then the print version price. So I could see this saving people money if they aren't reading everything.

If it's just older titles (which I think the article implies) then I think this is an interesting way to read older titles, but not sure if this is an advantage over just getting the actual volumes. Are there many people who would want to read 10 or even 20 older series from the beginning week by week?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Is this just backlog titles, or does it include current series as well? Not sure what their digital pricing is (or if there even is an option), but even the 20 title option is (just slightly) less then the print version price. So I could see this saving people money if they aren't reading everything.

If it's just older titles (which I think the article implies) then I think this is an interesting way to read older titles, but not sure if this is an advantage over just getting the actual volumes. Are there many people who would want to read 10 or even 20 older series from the beginning week by week?

I saw One Piece, KochiKame, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on the list, but all of the other ones I could identify have ended, and those three are very long-running series. It seems to be a way for Shueisha to sell old manga.

And while it costs less than getting the print volumes, I think Shueisha will make more per customer than the print magazine, as they don't have to spend any money on raw materials or middlemen.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Just for a price comparison, the digital version of regular WSJ in Japan costs 900 yen for one month. Currently 21 series running in the mag (to be fair, one of them's a monthly, Boruto).
(as far as individual issues go, they're 270 yen for print, 250 yen for digital)

Consumers may say that they want it, but a la carte dreams are kind of fool's good. Also rather self destructive for how these anthologies work (tentpole titles draw the bulk of readers in, free audience for the new guys to attempt to impress).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Consumers may say that they want it, but a la carte dreams are kind of fool's gold.

Really? Why's that? Is it because of those tentpole titles no longer being able to draw in people just curious and reading whatever's in front of them?
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
That, plus the prices will always be tried to be rigged in way so that the company doesn't lose out compared to the old model (it'd be against self-interest otherwise). And supply/demand always kicks in; a series in high demand would, logically, not be priced the same as some less popular series. It turns into a game of how high people would pay for a select few of the hottest series, and I feel like the end result wouldn't be noticably less than the original full package price in the first place. Not worthwhile when at the same time you end up ditching the environment of free readers for the new series.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I see. Is that how a la carte television programming works right now? I've been considering switching over to DISH's a la carte system, as we, as a household, really only watch about 15 to 20 channels of the 300+ we have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1