• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Tarareba Musume Manga by Princess Jellyfish's Higashimura Gets Live-Action Drama

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
That was pretty quick. I really like Princess Jellyfish, so I'm hoping we get this manga, too. OTOH, it took so long to get the Princess Jellyfish manga officially translated in English, so it's anyone's guess when or *if* we'll get this one, too. The fact that the adaptation isn't animated makes it less likely.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
I hope it continues to the end of the story and doesn't cut off like the anime did. I bought the anime on a whim because it sounded really good, and I loved it.

And I really wish some of the anime companies would realize there really is a market for subbing these live-action shows as well and selling them. I mean, obviously, they aren't going to sell if you don't market them, but getting them subbed/dubbed and then on basic DVD and maybe on Netflix there is a market for that.

Meanwhile bootleggers keep that market... ug...and Amazon and ebay do nothing about it and you can't even find the ACTUAL imports.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
I hope it continues to the end of the story and doesn't cut off like the anime did. I bought the anime on a whim because it sounded really good, and I loved it.

And I really wish some of the anime companies would realize there really is a market for subbing these live-action shows as well and selling them. I mean, obviously, they aren't going to sell if you don't market them, but getting them subbed/dubbed and then on basic DVD and maybe on Netflix there is a market for that.

Meanwhile bootleggers keep that market... ug...and Amazon and ebay do nothing about it and you can't even find the ACTUAL imports.

I think you are confusing this new adaptation of Tokyo Tarareba Musume with Princess Jellyfish. Hagashimura has been writing both manga concurrently, and PJ is still ongoing. You can read all the volumes on Crunchyroll manga. It's fantastic. We don't have any official translations of TTM (which is also still ongoing) yet.

Japanese live action shows are less likely to be streamed legally online than anime or Korean live action shows, but websites/apps like Dramafever and Viki both have some dramas available (more than Netflix, Hulu and even Crunchyroll, IIRC). I think the most prevalent theory is that Japanese live action shows are harder to license because so many of the actors have contracts with talent agencies that are known for unreasonable rights demands. I have no idea how the home video market for live action Asian dramas is doing. That would make an interesting Answerman topic.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

I think you are confusing this new adaptation of Tokyo Tarareba Musume with Princess Jellyfish. Hagashimura has been writing both manga concurrently, and PJ is still ongoing. You can read all the volumes on Crunchyroll manga. It's fantastic. We don't have any official translations of TTM (which is also still ongoing) yet.

Japanese live action shows are less likely to be streamed legally online than anime or Korean live action shows, but websites/apps like Dramafever and Viki both have some dramas available (more than Netflix, Hulu and even Crunchyroll, IIRC). I think the most prevalent theory is that Japanese live action shows are harder to license because so many of the actors have contracts with talent agencies that are known for unreasonable rights demands. I have no idea how the home video market for live action Asian dramas is doing. That would make an interesting Answerman topic.

Yeah, I think I got a bit jumbled (I think the article headline threw me off in the way it was worded combined with my headaches) but my point remains. I love her manga series and style.

I know Princess Jellyfish is ending really soon (be it seemingly rushed).

I know they're released some Asian live-action series/movies in the past most which were NEVER promoted or anything. They just pop them out, expect them to sell, and then I've always supposed they've based that on their reasoning for not doing much more.

But seriously, take the Sailor Moon Live Action series. The popularity of Sailor Moon alone, the campiness and the difference that show is from the source and anime, do you seriously think that won't sell or be popular in any from.

I really don't think some of these companies really understand the market yet nor understand why fansubs and bootlegs still exist.... I know I do my best to buy everything I love but if something isn't released in a region I can understand it, I will find some sort of way (says the girl who bought a Japanese VHS tape of Japanese movie which is a bridge-story of two manga, lol; I still don't know 60% of what they say in that movie).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1