• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magic-Kyun Rennaissance Promo Shows Main Characters' Artistic Specialities

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Again character design and costume aesthetic for these male idols shows just all look kind of identical to me.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Lots of people complain that most harem anime is basically the same thing, over and over.
But Godddam, these reverse harems take it to the next level: the only variation are the character designs and the overall setting. The characters themselves are always the exact same, right down to their catchphrases (my butterlfy). Come on, Japan, I know you can do beter then THIS.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Lots of people complain that most harem anime is basically the same thing, over and over.
But Godddam, these reverse harems take it to the next level: the only variation are the character designs and the overall setting. The characters themselves are always the exact same, right down to their catchphrases (my butterlfy). Come on, Japan, I know you can do beter then THIS.

So true. Come on. Girl with orange hair and piss colored eyes? Where have I seen that before?? I have such UtaPri vibes coming from this one. I wish Idol animes with reverse harems would vary a little bit. But alas, that's asking too much isn't it?
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I told myself I was gunna pass on this one, but the lovely animation in that PV sold me. Looks like cute nonsense and I'm down with that.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I can't be the only one who expects that they will turn into the matsuno brothers (or that there will be an attack by a giant baby in the end).
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
But Godddam, these reverse harems take it to the next level: the only variation are the character designs and the overall setting. The characters themselves are always the exact same, right down to their catchphrases (my butterfly). Come on, Japan, I know you can do better than THIS.

So true. Come on. Girl with orange hair and piss colored eyes? Where have I seen that before?? I have such UtaPri vibes coming from this one. I wish Idol animes with reverse harems would vary a little bit. But alas, that's asking too much isn't it?

Okay but to be fair this was made by the same company that made UtaPri. This is like the spiritual successor to UtaPri in a way. I mean i think they are still milking UtaPri but I don't know if it's still as popular as it was.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Sakura-Alchemist wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
But Godddam, these reverse harems take it to the next level: the only variation are the character designs and the overall setting. The characters themselves are always the exact same, right down to their catchphrases (my butterfly). Come on, Japan, I know you can do better than THIS.

Okay but to be fair this was made by the same company that made UtaPri. This is like the spiritual successor to UtaPri in a way. I mean i think they are still milking UtaPri but I don't know if it's still as popular as it was.

Oh no wonder! Well, I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just wishing it would change it up a little bit. But this one has it quirks. Also, they're making a season 3 and a movie for UtaPri. So, that may be in winter..or in 2017.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
Broccoli (the company behind UtaPri) is basically trying to make a new UtaPri with this imo. They made Kamigami no Asobi and that too was campy fun.

The thing with otome character designs is that they're usually hard to bring into anime form. Something like Ozmafia or say UtaPri....the designs look much better and more unique in the games. Granted, most otome games have a certain style but when made into anime it's even harder to distinguish.

And maybe the reason why I don't get bored of reverse harem anime is because they're rare. Sure, you get idol anime but that's not reverse harem. Even B-Project turned out to be not reverse harem (bites handkerchief).

So when you do get a reverse harem I'm like 'Eh, yay, finally a reverse harem!'. If there were 4-5 shows of the same thing per season, then I'd get more picky.

Basically, beggars can't be choosers.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Again character design and costume aesthetic for these male idols shows just all look kind of identical to me.

lol this is not a male idol anime what are you talking about?
It was clearly stated that its an Otome Harry Potter shoujo anime not about some bunch of random dudes singing and dancing genki cringe girly idol songs like those cringey female idol animes

kiminobokuwa wrote:

Come on guys, did you actually read the description or did just immediately judged the whole thing by its cover? WHEN DID THE DESCRIPTION EVER STATED THAT IT WAS A MALE IDOL ANIME? lmao

rip the description

Last edited by iamtooawesome on Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:

That's because Sunrise is doing the animation ...but I thought the successor was B-project since its from the same company Broccoli? As far as I know B-pro is like Utapri#2 with all the male idols and musically-challenged heroines, while Magic-Kyun is a new broccoli genre that involves magic and school romance with no male idols.

Still B-project is the real spiritual successor of Utapri since just like its predecessor, it topped Oricon chart sales for 3 consecutive weeks+ hot male idols, yes I think Utaprii is still doing good with all the sales, its gonna make a comeback this October
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1