• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: James Cameron's Alita: Battle Angel Film Casts Deadpool's Ed Skrein

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
And so things are moving along. Good news indeed.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Man the casting so far has been very good! Shame James won't get to direct but at least Robert: a seasoned veteran director took the helm in his stead Very Happy . Unlike the Ghost in the Shell film where I'm very skeptic about its script and direction, I actually believe this will turn out to be an excellent film!! I'm so glad James and the staff are putting so much care into this adaptation and as a massive BAA fan, I thank them.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote
where's Francis? lol

sorry had to say it.
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
I'm so stoked about this happening. I'm a bit wary about Rodriguez directing,but I hope that Cameron will run a tight ship and rein in some of his zaniness.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
It soudns like they are remixing arcs, which is ok, since the chances of having multiple movies adapting a good chunk of the manga run are abismally low anyway.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I've no faith it'll be a faithful adaptation so all my interest will be in seeing just what they do with the material.

Hell if it helps sell more volumes of the books im all for it, im hoping martian war chronicle gets an English release
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Good times. Skrein does have a talent for playing smarmy sociopaths and I would love to see what he could do in Alita.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
Oh, Cameron handed directorial duties to someone else?

I'm okay with that, I guess. Cameron seems more interested in taking a much-less-effective-than-Miyazaki nature appreciation angle lately, and I'm not sure he's in the mindset right now to direct something involving cyborgs (not to ignore his work on the earlier entries in the Terminator franchise). With Avatar set to continue over three or four more films (the number seems to change every couple of years), he'd probably be dead by the time he got around to directing it himself, anyway.

Anyway, I'm not all that familiar with the source material, but I have been anticipating this for a long time. It doesn't get much bigger than James Cameron in Hollywood, regardless of how I feel about his recent output, and just to see his name attached to a live-action adaptation of a relatively obscure (at this point) manga speaks greatly on the potential viability of the medium as source material for big-budget films.

I'm calling two things right now:

1. This and Ghost in the Shell will be the start of a new era in filmmaking in terms of source material.
2. This and Ghost in the Shell, having similar themes, will compete with each other in the minds of fans everywhere, in much the same way that Microsoft and Sony do when it comes to their gaming consoles.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
With Avatar set to continue over three or four more films (the number seems to change every couple of years)
The ambiguity is probably intentional: it might hurt the sales of each installment if everybody knew straight up he wanted to outdo The Land Before Time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1