• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Fall English Dub Line-Up

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Yes, yes! A thousand times YES! Very Happy

The anime I watched and are gonna watch are getting dubs! Oh, happy day..... Surprised

Last edited by Animechic420 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
I was so hyped to read this when I got the email. I didn't expect them to dub this much. I just hope they don't stretch themselves too thin by dubbing all of these (but that may be unavoidable to an extent)

I may check them all out but the ones I'm really looking forward to are: Drifters, Izetta (I thought the first episode was good), Keijo (for obvious plot related reasons), Mob Psycho 100, and Alderamin. I'll most likely give Orange a rewatch too depending on the cast and crew.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Nice lineup. Happy to see Touken Ranbu getting dubbed, I watched the first episode yesterday and had a really good time with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
It was quite expected, given the partnership announcement and all. But still, a hefty number of shows.
Vannil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
i am surprised they are not doing a dub for either of the bungo stray dogs seasons since they announced the first season was to receive a dub in the initial partnership announcement.
+ 光

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
No Bungo Stray Dogs? 'Kay. A list this large says more about the shows that are not chosen than the ones which are.

Anyhoo, is this going to be okay? I mean lots of these have enormous casts, and are there so many English VA's available? If they use more or less the same voices for all the shows, isn't the novelty thereof going to where off? Well I suppose they can pull hopefuls off of Youtube to fill roles, but still.

As I'm not American, I can't watch Funi dubs so I don't know what they sound like. Can some one enlighten me about this please?

Also...All Out? A rugby anime? It's not Eyeshield you know...will that really be okay with an American audience?

Last edited by + 光 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
No Brave Witches so I don't care
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, definitely some weird choices here. But cool, all in all. glad to see some of the big ones from last season getting dubbed. And a healthy amount from this upcoming season.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm still reeling from the lack of Brave Witches and what's here are usually the kind of shows I skip or watch only once I've seen everything else that accords to my watches of "weird genre things"-it's not as vague as it sounds, I have a whole shelf of things that fit it ranging from titles like Haruhi Suzumiya, Eden's Bowy and Melody of Oblivion-, comedy or fan service. Or like Excel Saga, all three.

Yes, Keijo!!!!!!!... forever Keijo8! here on out... matches my list for fan service but I'd rather watch something with a little more... uh.... dignity. Forgot the word for a second.

Maybe Kiss Him, Not Me. As a parody of fujoshi bait, I know it has to have some but... ok, as long as it's not on the level of First Love Monster I could like it. Or at the very least watch it.

As for the old ones... maybe next season will have a better selection. "It's like a gangster movie!" You know what's like a gangster movie? A gangster movie and I can always put one of those in my DVD player when I want to watch a gangster movie.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I knew it. I could just tell by the delayed announcement that Keijo was gonna be picked up by Funi. Damn it. I REALLY wanted Cynthia Martinez to dub the voice for Nozomi. Years of manga reading proliferated. I'm just not cut out to guess dubs anymore.

Well with any luck, I'll be right about my guess for Sayaka. A nice Brittney Karbowski dub. Make it happen.

And pretty much the whole reason I'm interested in Kiss Him Not Me is because of Yu Kobayashi, so I'll be sticking to the sub for that one.
nubguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
For everyone who is worried about shows like Bungo Stray Dogs and Brave Witches not getting a Simuldub/Broadcast Dub, just remember that Funimation hasn't finished their show announcements yet. They said on their blog to check back in the coming weeks to see additional shows added. I think there is still a very good chance that Bungo Stray Dogs S2 will be broadcast dubbed this season.

Last edited by nubguy on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
It's a sizeable lineup, but it pretty much has to be if Funimation wants its site to remain relevant now that the subbed versions will be on CR. That said, I'm pretty surprised that Brave Witches wasn't included. With Strike Witches being a Funimation series, and the recent release of the movie, it seemed like an obvious choice that would help promote physical sales of Strike Witches.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Half-decent lineup. I'll watch Drifters, Yuri!!! on Ice, and All Out!!! while I rewatch Mob Psycho 100, 91 Days, Joker Game, Orange and maybe ReLife. I could care less about the rest of the titles.
RacistPenguin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
The amount of exclamation points is too damn high.

Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Kiss Him, Not Me and Nanbaka should be VERY interesting. I hope the humor stays mostly in tact in the translation. Can't wait! Twisted Evil

Hopefully Tanuki-kun from Touken Ranbu makes his appearance in both the Japanese and English dub versions. I'm very curious, if he does, who is voicing him from both languages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5