• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Fans Choose Anime's Biggest Tearjerkers

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
The 2 most "tearjerking" anime I had watched is Clannad after story and Angel Beats. It seems like those shows aren't that popular among visitors of Goo Ranking.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen most of these, so i can't really judge. I did see the live action version of Dog of Flanders, and if the anime follows the same story i can absolutely imagine it being a tear-jerker. Agree that Toradora and Kimi ni Todoke are very emotional; the Christmas scene in Toradora gets me misty-eyed every single time.

Only a few series that get my tears jerking nowadays; the original Gunbuster (for the finale specifically), Interstella 5555 (same), and HunterXHunter (i DARE anyone to stay dry-eyed for episode 135)
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
The 2 most "tearjerking" anime I had watched is Clannad after story and Angel Beats. It seems like those shows aren't that popular among visitors of Goo Ranking.

Yeh i literly shocked that this 2 didn't make it on the list just wtf O_O, even naruto, fairy tail had their tearjerker moments.
ICO44

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe there in no Grave of the Fireflies on that list. That movie made me cry like a baby.
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with Natsume yuujinchou being on the list. That anime made me cry 2 times and almost every episode.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann is definitely one of the most tearjerking Anime series that I've ever seen for various reasons. Crying or Very sad
Kitsune_Kun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass made people cry? lol
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

Only a few series that get my tears jerking nowadays; the original Gunbuster (for the finale specifically), Interstella 5555 (same), and HunterXHunter (i DARE anyone to stay dry-eyed for episode 135)

I cry through Gunbuster for every applicable emotion and every meaning of the word cry.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
PsychoPearl wrote:
I totally agree with Natsume yuujinchou being on the list. That anime made me cry 2 times and almost every episode.
I think if something by that creator made it to the list it should have been Hotarubi no Mori e. THAT was a tearjerker ending, especially with the little bit of sweetness that made the sadness even more poignant.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
If we're talking more recent titles, I'd have put that third Digimon Tri movie on there. That one ranged from melancholy to just straight up devastating.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
It is interesting to see that The Girl Who Leapt through Time is listed while Wolf Children is not, considering how stirring certain moments of the latter Hosoda film are. Rather than attempt any analysis on this, I shall merely attribute this to the low sample size.

I must remark, this conversation does remind me of an old thread I remember most dearly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:

I haven't seen many on the list, but that scene in Clannad after Story is one of the saddest things I've ever seen; anime, movie or TV series.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Hell no, One Piecespoiler[: Marineford ending.]
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It is interesting to see that The Girl Who Leapt through Time is listed while Wolf Children is not, considering how stirring certain moments of the latter Hosoda film are.

Agreed completely. Another dull Hosoda film is The Boy and The Beast. Wolf Children deserved a spot in this list.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Hell no, One Piecespoiler[: Marineford ending.]

spoiler[Honestly? Ace's death didn't really hit any particular emotion from me. Going Merry funerals, on the other side...]
spoiler[My choice for the biggest tearjerker in anime would be Legend of the Galactic Heroes, episode after Yang's death. Especially Frederica's reaction.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4