• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Quite A Number

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for another week's amusement! I do look forward to the new writers and projects due in the new year.

With respect to the entertaining scrum positions in All Out, I should note that it is even more interesting when one has to practice them during PE lessons. Those who the support the hooker (the chap in the middle) have to adopt a certain stance. Players must stand with their legs bent slightly and their torsos forward, as if, in the immortal words of my teacher at the time, we all had rigid poles up our posteriors. (My teacher, it must be said, used a more colourful word than 'posterior'.)

Playing full-contact rugby is very much an experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with Jacob's opinion on Izetta. The yuri vibes are increasing with each episode, but it has not become gross or super aggressive. The writing is still solid, and the military stuff is also becoming more interesting.

I would ask the person asking about Izetta to just watch the show. I consider myself a harsh critic when it comes to writing in anime, but I am happy to report that Izetta has not dropped the shoe.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Gankutsuou should be an interesting discussion I watched half of it a few years back and never finished it I wish I could like Yuri On Ice as much as other people do I enjoy it and don;t think it's a bad show but I just feel kind of "meh" about it. The stuff I get really excited for each week are Flip Flappers, Magical Girl Raising Project, and Miss Bernard said.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. Lots of neat shows worth watching this season and I am not even scratching the surface. Sad

Quite interested in seeing more editorial content coming this way. The Gankutsuou podcast should be pretty entertaining too, especially because the changes made to the original novel storyline have their share of positives and negatives (admitting that my memory of how any queer-related issues were handled past the first episode is murky). Regardless of that, it's a very worthwhile series and it's too bad we don't always see such creative adaptations of western literature in anime.

On the retro front, I am looking forward to the Wolf's Rain release...plus the Escaflowne and Code Geass reviews. Still need to pick up both sets myself, but the image quality looks great and they have some pretty nice on-disc extras. Man, it feels like those podcast recordings went up just the other day yet somehow it's already been plenty of months. Not gonna lie: I'm curious to see how much of the audio content ends up overlapping in the written form. Wink
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
Because of my trip in late October I decided to scale back on the number of shows I watch this season because I have a hard time coming back from a break in my routine. So, I didn't pick up Yuri on Ice until last week. But that show has hit me so hard. It is so good. I had Poco's Udon World as my favorite (and I still really like the show a lot) but damn Yuri on Ice is just freaking fantastic like this is one of the best character studies I've seen in an anime. And you can come at it from so many angles. The relationship is the big thing everyone is talking about. But I think one of things I really like is there is a subtle arc going with Victor basically about getting older. That he is aging out of ice skating and he needs to move on even if everyone around him doesn't. Which is topic you don't really see in anime. And Yuri's own character growth has been great. That bit with him and Victor in the garage was great. I've also literately woken up to pee in the middle of the night with the OP stuck in my head already playing. I don't even like ice skating...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I disagree with Jacob's opinion on Izetta. The yuri vibes are increasing with each episode, but it has not become gross or super aggressive. The writing is still solid, and the military stuff is also becoming more interesting.

I would ask the person asking about Izetta to just watch the show. I consider myself a harsh critic when it comes to writing in anime, but I am happy to report that Izetta has not dropped the shoe.

It hasn't yet, though it got close to dropping the ball with the Jonas plotline. Episode six was definitely a low point, though 7 was a solid episode. Hopefully the next episodes are more in line with that than the prior one, but I can't help feel wary that their grip may loosen.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
I'm only on episode 5 of Izetta (watching the broadcast dub) but I'm still enjoying it. The yuri vibes are increasing but I feel like it's still a solid and entertaining show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Sigh. Lots of neat shows worth watching this season and I am not even scratching the surface. Sad

Quite interested in seeing more editorial content coming this way. The Gankutsuou podcast should be pretty entertaining too, especially because the changes made to the original novel storyline have their share of positives and negatives (admitting that my memory of how any queer-related issues were handled past the first episode is murky). Regardless of that, it's a very worthwhile series and it's too bad we don't always see such creative adaptations of western literature in anime.

On the retro front, I am looking forward to the Wolf's Rain release...plus the Escaflowne and Code Geass reviews. Still need to pick up both sets myself, but the image quality looks great and they have some pretty nice on-disc extras. Man, it feels like those podcast recordings went up just the other day yet somehow it's already been plenty of months. Not gonna lie: I'm curious to see how much of the audio content ends up overlapping in the written form. Wink

I'd say some of the good changes to Gankutsuou,was how they handled Albert and Fernand. The change of making Fernand,best friend that betrayed Dantes, which gave it more emotional weight.Compared to the book where he's just angry guy,who wants to kill him for taking his girl. The bad changes were the portrayal of The Count,who's a straight-up villain points.Another big change was them just skipping over Dante's mental breakdown of being imprisoned(it's given a 30 second flashback).They also change the message of to 'revenge will destroy you from the inside',where the book was 'revenge won't and will destroy everyone around you'. Despite those changes it's still a great show. Looking to Zac's reaction when it turns to schlock,with the poorly-rendered CG much duel Laughing

The Ghost in the Shell is looking great,though I am bit worried after reading some interviews with Rupert Saunders. His reasons for putting stuff in basically boiled down to him saying "I thought it looked cool"(the type of response I'd expect from Zack Snyder).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
For anime you'd like to see live action… sure, if Ghost In The Shell is successful, maybe there'll be a run on known/popular anime titles, because the whole point of licensing something is to have a known commodity, since moviegoers have proven they're not interested in new stuff right now.

But in my heart of hearts, I would dearly love to see someone Americanize one of the various anime dramas. Call me crazy, but I think some of them would work. Imagine Anohana, with a different title, as a small magical-realism drama. Set in suburbia, group of kids had a "secret base" in the woods, one died in an accident, they drifted apart, dead girl comes back as a ghost and tries to reunite them. Just tone down whatever-you-rename-Menma's talk about Buddhist-style reincarnation, and this should work just fine. Honestly, the problem here isn't the source material, but the idea of the "small drama". They don't make many movies like that anymore, not like a "That Thing You Do" or "A League of Their Own", small movies that play well in flyover country… why play to that crowd when you can make another sci-fi/superhero movie that'll open huge in China (once it gets re-edited to pass muster with the Party censors)?
Hidders

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
It's so interesting to hear men who usually go for something more CGDCT or overtly masculine actually enjoying Yuri!!! on Ice. I keep thinking the gay overtones would be enough to scare guys away but it sounds like it's being handled in a way that isn't jarring.

Fullmetal Alchemist live-action is going to be more like Attack on Titan live-action rather than Rurouni Kenshin live-action. Kenshin was good and fun as hell, AoT was a mess of a script.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
Hidders wrote:
It's so interesting to hear men who usually go for something more CGDCT or overtly masculine actually enjoying Yuri!!! on Ice. I keep thinking the gay overtones would be enough to scare guys away but it sounds like it's being handled in a way that isn't jarring.

I think anime fans forget that Queer as Folk was predominantly marketed towards gay men and The L Word was marketed towards lesbians. Heck, it's been less than ten years since the fourth season of Maria-sama ga Miteru ended. That franchise was pretty firmly situated in the shoujo demographic, and I bet that if I was a bigger yaoi fan I could come up with an equivalent shonen series.

Point is, I wouldn't assume that all men are going to be scared away by "gay overtones".
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, Saskatchewan is all about hockey and football. So it was amusing to see that All Out! was the most watched Crunchyroll anime in the province. Smile

Looks like I need to check out Yuri on Ice at some point.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
As far as commercial successes this season, the top selling shows will be Touken Ranbu, Yuri on Ice, UtaPri and then either Drifters, Natsume, or Hibike. But the top 3 will tower over the rest by far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1