• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - What's to Come in 2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Consider Persona 4 Golden is my favorite game, Persona 5 is definitely the top game for me on this list.

I'm not sure how I feel about Nioh. I'm quite intrigued by what I've seen, but I don't have a ton of time these days for games, and still have several older titles I haven't finished, so I don't want to get mad at a game for taking a long time due to sheer difficulty.

I'm going to be curious to see the reviews of RE7. The gameplay is a pretty big departure for the series, and at least what I've seen seems to have little to do with the large plot lines of the series. Plus, I liked RE6, so I'm wasn't necessarily wanting something like this, though I still want it to be a good game.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Looks like Japanese games are finally hitting their stride in 2017.

Persona 5 is my must-have.

Nier Automata, I've never played the first one but this looks beautiful.

What comes out for SWITCH will also be a biggie to watch for.

Resident Evil VII, I'm cautiously optimistic about. BUt I'm hoping we'll finally see some of RE2 Remake.

Gravity Rush 2 I'm definitely interested in, but I haven't played the first game and want to get the PS4 version but it's only sold digitally, so I'm hoping to import a physical copy sometime in the future.

Other than that I'm looking forward to more awesome Death Stranding trailers by Hideo Kojima.
dkbailey64

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
I haven't played the first game and want to get the PS4 version but it's only sold digitally

Not true! I actually just ordered a copy in preparation for GR2. It seems to be an Amazon exclusive, but it's an official NTSC release.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
I hovered over each image, but nothing.

So sad Sad
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

So sad Sad

The end of another era.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
So sad I'm a PC gamer.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Duuuuuuude ace combat 7! I mean, I know the last few have been pretty awful, but it's back to being good old ace combat from the PS2 era!

Otherwise, I'll wait on the review/lets play for berseria, the last few were pretty meh so its definitely not a must buy for me.

Nioh could be cool, I just hope they don't focus on difficulty for the sake of it. Reducing the soul game to just "difficult games" miss so much of the point (and there really not that hard).

Horizon dawn, I dunno, so many open world game lately its hard to get excited for a new one. Setting seems cool at least.

Nier:automata, watch a few lets play of the demo and it looked flashy but really shallow, will wait and see. Nier was a game that you didn't miss much if you just watch a lets play instead of playing it, hopefully this one buck the trend (nier and drakengard 3).

Switch... ehhhhhhh it'll depend on the price, I might pick it up if its cheap enough otherwise I'll wait for the first pokemon game.

Persona 5, buy nuff said.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Nier:Automata is definitely going on my to buy list. That demo is just excellent. It's got tight controls and solid combat.Really loved the bullet hell aspects that incorporated in it,which I found really. It's nice to see Platinum Games have title with their team,instead of the quick cash-ins that were the Transfomers and TMNT games,that Activision published.

I would add Yooka-Laylee to the list of games coming. That's shaping up to be a wonderful throwback to the platformers of the N64 era.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 comes out on the 24th as well. Man, that is a stacked week.
DrXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Notwithstanding a few weirder SMT spin-offs, neither has made it to Nintendo, either.

What about SMTIV? That's a mainline title that was so good Atlus made it twice, both for 3DS only.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Tales of Berseria: Definitely ready for this. I got my PS4 fired up and ready. Just need to go and preorder it.

Quote:
I can tell you that this game takes place in the same world as Zestiria, and that it releases on the same day as three other games that all share a certain crossover audience.

Haha, I see what you did there, Dustin. Clever. ;D

The Latest Final Fantasy Character is Ariana Grande:

Quote:
Why Ariana and not, say, Florence (of "+ the Machine" fame) who actually had a song in FF15? I don't know.

The eternal question indeed. Ariana is apparently pretty popular in Japan, which is how she got selected to be in Brave Exvius. You'd think someone who sang for the series in some way, like say RIKKI, would have gotten the opportunity.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

So sad Sad

Me too. Sad
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
So far what's piqued my interest for the time being is Nioh. I do like the Souls series, but Nioh tickles my fancy in ways Fromsoft hasn't managed to do for some time. Part of that is the setting as I'm a sucker for supernatural events against the backdrop of the Sengoku Jidai but a lot more of it is just how much more fun it is to play than Dark Souls or Bloodborne in terms of fighting due to just how fast it is and how character progression allows customization and experimentation with weapon movesets. Yakuza, Persona 5, and Zelda are also on my list of anticipated titles but they're on the "well, duh" category due to how often they're on my anticipated titles lists.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:21 am Reply with quote
No witty comments in the images?
I'm sad since they were very funny.
phantom_raze

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
There's not a whole lot of must-buys for me. I'm interested on how Gravity Rush 2, RE7 and Nier: Automata are gonna turn out though.

As a fan of the Souls series, I didn't really liked Nioh that much. It felt liked it's trying to be difficult for the sake of being difficult. It's also weird seeing it compared to Dark Souls just for being difficult when every other factors in it like atmosphere, world-building and it's overall bleakness is what made it so compelling to me.
I do hope it turns out to be better than the demo. I really liked the Sengoku setting.

Stuff I'm also looking forward to that's not mentioned in the article are Ace Combat 7 (although hearing that it's gonna be sort of a sequel to Ace Combat 6 kinda makes me a bit skeptical about it) and Crash N.Sanity remaster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2