• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice Anime's 1st BD Volume Ranks #2 on Overall Weekly BD Chart

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
Please not these half-assed troll posts. --willag
Enryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
Michael Nathanael T. wrote:
Please not this gay anime.

Otaku no longer run the town, Fujoshi is.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
Don't worry Micheal this is just slow season since the otaku probably were saving for winter with Fate/Order and others. Fujoshi stuff usually sell well during times when otaku anime are weak or just average like last season
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote

Always a pleasure for the first openly gay sports anime to get more recognition even if its from a homophobic fanboy~ Very Happy

Keep pouring out the salt!

FtKaru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:21 am Reply with quote
What warrants a separate article from the BD/DVD charts posted yesterday?
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

Always a pleasure for the first openly gay sports anime to get more recognition even if its from a homophobic fanboy~ Very Happy

Maybe they LOVE gay anime, just not this specific one? Wink
Probably not, but I'm willing to be optimistic. Razz

sailorsweeper wrote:
Don't worry Micheal this is just slow season since the otaku probably were saving for winter with Fate/Order and others. Fujoshi stuff usually sell well during times when otaku anime are weak or just average like last season

It was actually the best season of the year(2016), sales wise. And has quite a few potential big hits to go. It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a slow season. Not sure what numbers you're looking at, but "fujoshi" stuff has been selling well for quite a while. And it doesn't really matter what "otaku" shows are out around the same time. It's fine that different titles have different audiences and all, but I really wish we could get passed this idea that there are two competing factions of fans. Just like plenty of girls enjoy moe and stuff like Love Live, plenty of guys enjoy stuff like Haikyu and Yuri on Ice.

FtKaru wrote:

Every once in a while they do a highlight for particular shows if it's notable. I think Love Live and Osomatsu-san both got separate articles. Maybe Kabaneri and Re:Zero as well.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
keichitsu0305 wrote:

Maybe they LOVE gay anime, just not this specific one? Wink
Probably not, but I'm willing to be optimistic. Razz

sailorsweeper wrote:

It was actually the best season of the year(2016), sales wise. And has quite a few potential big hits to go. It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a slow season. Not sure what numbers you're looking at, but "fujoshi" stuff has been selling well for quite a while. And it doesn't really matter what "otaku" shows are out around the same time. It's fine that different titles have different audiences and all, but I really wish we could get passed this idea that there are two competing factions of fans. Just like plenty of girls enjoy moe and stuff like Love Live, plenty of guys enjoy stuff like Haikyu and Yuri on Ice.

Well said on all accounts, relyat08.

There have been some fantastic anime this season and I'm so glad Yuri on Ice is getting the recognition it deserves. I was blown away by its devotion to its characters, its gorgeous skating animation, and its uncommon musical score. Couldn't ask for more in any series, but the fact that it so positively portrays an honest-to-God gay couple is just phenomenal in my book.

The more "gay stuff" showcased in major, expertly crafted stories like this, the better. I hope in my lifetime I get to see mainstream acceptance of every form of love.

Last edited by Ashen Phoenix on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:

This season is so slow that it's had as many 10k+ v1s as the rest of the year combined (5). Of those, 4 are "fujoshi" series. But sure, whatever makes you feel better about the diversification of the market, god forbid more people are able to find something they like in a medium and decide to spend money on it.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote

I've got a plate of french fries and they needed more salt. Your post had plenty. Thank you so much! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

There have been some fantastic anime this season and I'm so glad Yuri on Ice is getting the recognition it deserves. I was blown away by its devotion to its characters, its gorgeous skating animation, and its uncommon musical score. Couldn't ask for more in any series, but the fact that it so positively portrays an honest-to-God gay couple is just phenomenal in my book.

The more "gay stuff" showcased in major, expertly crafted stories like this, the better. I hope in my lifetime I get to see mainstream acceptance of every form of love.

Agreed on all of the above as well. YOI was fantastic. And if it wasn't such a strong year already, it would certainly be at the top of my favorites list(it's still way up there!). It definitely is the most important of the year though, in my opinion. I Hope to see more stuff like it in future. And given YOIs success, I don't doubt we'll get it. Smile
archenteron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
it's too late your anime is gay now
shi666san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:

Clicks.
It's easy since one side will be like "best anime ever!! YoI is revolutionary because blahblah, gay, blahblah, etc. ", while the other side will respond with "no. It's blahblahblah".
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote

That's racist. *ding*
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:

To echo relyat08, you are aware anime is a universal hobby, don't you? Seperating popular shows into otaku/fujoshi is pretty pedantic when you realize tons of men love YoI and women love Fate. Who do you think are cosplaying characters like Saber? YoI selling well is a combined effort, and says nothing of fujoshi vs otaku tastes. Anime is anime.

-Stuart Smith
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Fujoshi stuff usually sell well during times when otaku anime are weak or just average like last season

Fujoshi 1: <reading> Hey, girl, look at this!! Otaku boys aren't buying many BDs this season!

Fujoshi 2: Wow, you're right! This is our chance! You know what we have to do.

Fujoshi 1 & 2: BUY BDs!!!

Fujushi 2: We gotta hurry though. Our window of opportunity will close when the boys start buying again.

Is that how you think this works? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5