• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kamome Hamada Launches 1st Boys-Love Manga Based on True Story

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm very interested in seeing what will happen to the anime industry when we finally get an anime purely from the bara genre. Twisted Evil Yaoi is great and all given how little we get in anime form but I'm very interested in what and when we'll finally get our hands on bara anime. I want to see what similarities there are as far as idealistic relationships given the target audience between bara and yaoi.
meronichan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
This story seems interesting and probably heartbreaking,...I'll probably give it a read.

Honestly, I'm just hoping the huge success that was Yuri on Ice will promote more realistic LGBTQ pairings in anime (as "real" as they can get with anime). You know, pairings that are at the forefront of the show, not subtext but also not used as 'queer bait'. Give queer pairings as much love and attention as hetero pairings but without pushing it in your face.
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
Interesting, but also nice to hear!

Also hoping YOI brings us more realistic LGBT romances that are central and natural, but also that they can be happy ends.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
I'd read that. It would be good to see more realistic same sex relationships in manga (yaoi and yuri). Hopefully some of them might make it over here, too.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
I'm all for this new wave of BL, but I don't think it's so great to start it off with a romance between a gay man and a straight man. I'm not doubting the authenticity, it could happen, but some might view it as just more of the same.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
More healthy and believable depictions of two same sex adults in bl (besides the bara genre has been doing this) manga? This is LITERALLY what I've always wanted since I grew tired of the genre!! Now I just need more Yuri with adult women and respectful depictions of transgender people!!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see more realistic portrayals of LGBTQ relationships in yaoi and yuri manga.
scarletrhodelia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This is a manga written by a woman about a gay man who against his better judgment falls for a straight man. I guess my definitions of “fresh face" and “new wave" are outdated.

BL is a literature written (mostly) by women (mostly) for women. All literature is fantasy in some sense. If we want BL to depict more “realistic” gay relationships, what effect does this have on the fundamental nature of BL as an expression of the tastes and needs of women? Won’t we have lost something unique? Mainstream stories about gay men with true representation can exist without transforming BL into the same thing.
BakaRocka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Real love between a heterosexual man and a gay man unfolds after their rocky first communication.

What
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1