• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (TV)
Season 2 - Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S (TV) (discussion starts here)

Genres: comedy, fantasy, slice of life
Themes: dragons, fanservice, magical girl, maids, monster girls

Plot Summary: Miss Kobayashi is your average office worker who lives a boring life, alone in her small apartment–until she saves the life of a female dragon in distress. The dragon, named Tohru, has the ability to magically transform into an adorable human girl (albeit with horns and a long tail!), who will do anything to pay off her debt of gratitude, whether Miss Kobayashi likes it or not. With a very persistent and amorous dragon as a roommate, nothing comes easy, and Miss Kobayashi's normal life is about to go off the deep end!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Lol Maid Dragon...D-Cup. I get what Tooru did there.

What an crazy impression so far. Still, her dragon form is badass. I like how they adapted the manga art style for this so far. The comedy is lighthearted yet has an expressive way of presenting its characters. I actually really find the character chemistry to be entertaining from the first episode as well.

I bet Tooru's VA had a lot of fun playing the role of her character.

Pretty fun start so far. The OP song is also really catchy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, the episode felt kinda dry to me. Nearly all the jokes were a miss, and aside from the nightmare, I didn't really enjoy the rest either. I'll give it another episode, though.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
The material probably would have been better served in webisode 9-10 minutes bites, from what we get are several strips strung together at widely varying story lengths.

If you weren't already into this type of "humor" then this will be a no go for viewership is concerned.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I found this first episode to be quite enjoyable and found myself laughing quite often. Tohru is just too adorable for words!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Another freaking girl-meets-GIRL story....bleh, no thanks.

I've had enough of these lol. Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:46 am Reply with quote
Being KyoAni, it is kind of Nichijou. But rather than that or any monster girl show, it actually kind of reminds me of a show called I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying, a short length show about an office lady having trouble understanding her otaku husband, but despite his zany quirks and their differences, their relationship kind of works. Both Kobayashi and the heroine of that series have quite similar looks, being quite deadpan, but also a penchant to get drunk and get quite raunchy. Hmm, apparently, the manga author is the same for both of them. It actually makes me kind of interested beyond being a KyoAni anime.

I think the best parts is where Tohru was still in maid form and did something not right like fitting clothes in her mouth, chomping down on the meat, and her hands seeming to turn into claws when getting angry at the guy. Would like to see the other dragons in action.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
I mentioned this in the preview thread, but I didn't find this as funny as I was expecting. It was okay and I will definitely watch more, but it just wasn't as engaging as I thought it would be.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
It had just the opposite effect for me. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that our respective (and opposing) expectations played a big part in our respective (and opposing) levels of enjoyment. Although, I have to stress, it's not that I disliked the episode ... just didn't get the ya-yas I thought I would.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm right in the middle, thought it was moderatly funny. I enjoy it and will keep going

Also, it flew right over my head that she cooked her own tail for Kobayashi. I saw the subs say this is my cooked tail, but I thought she meant it was the only thing he was able to cook. Did not think she meant that literally
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Looks like Kobayashi is starting to get used to her lifestyle with Tooru now. I like their character chemistry still even though it feels kinda strange.

Glad to see Kanna make her official appearance (she made a cameo before from what I remember from the first episode. Quite a cute character imo. The rivalry she has with Tooru is also quite noticeable. I thought Kyoto Animation did a decent job animating their brief "fight".

Kanna is so adorable Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I think I enjoyed this eppie more than the first. Yes, indeed, Kanna-chan is adorable, although I wish the tip of her tail didn't resemble a purple testicle. Looking forward to meeting more dragons.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I love lolis as much as the next guy (or probably more), but this new character was completely a horrible idea. All we got from her is the syrupy "oh what a cute" stuff that might have been completely replaced with a pet or something (not to mention she looks like a potato too), and on the other hand the episode was too slow to be funny whenever she was on screen, all the jokes were predictable and boring, no chemistry between her any either of our main heroines. The only good thing about the episode was the ridiculously nice animation quality of the fight, but then again that fight went nothing obviously.
I can safely say that Kanna is a damn bad character.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
I liked the second episode too, I think that now there is chemistry between Kobayashi-san and Tohru has grown a bit and Tohru has found a bit of a place, it is going alright. And Kanna has joined in. Also small bits like Tohru is from another (fantasy) world, and she can use magic to hide her appearance, although I would like to imagine it not affecting cameras and creating problems.

The playfight was fun, indeed I still think it is being the best when we have them in a human form with dragon features. But Kanna being like a pet was also funny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5