• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk TV Anime's Next Arc Premieres in April

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diorgenson4321

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
Just end it already... Twisted Evil
Derpinat0rz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
Liden films is credited this time so it won't be as bad as 2016
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
Derpinat0rz wrote:
Liden films is credited this time so it won't be as bad as 2016

Err...let's see. Same director, same writer, same character designer, etc. Liden Films was also on the production committee last time and GEMBA and Millepensee were on the last shows Animation Production. Seems like the same crew, so unless something changed drastically or they got a ton of money we may still be getting some ugly looking CG. I hope we don't, but I'm not holding my breath.
Deynard21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
I tought it was already announced. Livechart and other charts dated next season of Berserk on april. Or is this news only about "arc"?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
^I believe it was announced for spring previously. Most have the good sense to equate that to April, as is almost always the case.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:50 am Reply with quote
nd there goes my excitement thinking this was about the Manga.....DAMMIT!
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:17 am Reply with quote
Speaking of films, why not just leave this anime to the people who made the Golden Age Arc trilogy? While I would have preferred 2D animation like in the 1997 version, the films were fantastic. Especially the 2nd and 3rd ones! They were truly breathtaking at times! When I first heard the TV show would be CG, I got a little hyped because I thought it would look like the films. I was so naive...
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
How this staff was given the ability to make an anime adaptation of Berserk of all things, I will never know. It's not even just the cheap cgi; the direction itself is so questionable. Yeah, the classic anime didn't have the most frames of animation, but the art itself was beautiful and the direction was masterful. The story was well told, the characters developed naturally, and the art and music combined to make a captivating atmosphere. It's not about what you have, it's how you use it.

God, if Bones or Madhouse were given the chance... At least there's always the manga... if he ever even finishes it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:23 am Reply with quote
I wasn't a huge fan of the visuals, either, but it didn't prevent me from enjoying Berserk 2016. It's still got all the super-manly, hair chested story-telling that I like, so I'm pretty jazzed for the next helping.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Speaking of films, why not just leave this anime to the people who made the Golden Age Arc trilogy? While I would have preferred 2D animation like in the 1997 version, the films were fantastic. Especially the 2nd and 3rd ones! They were truly breathtaking at times! When I first heard the TV show would be CG, I got a little hyped because I thought it would look like the films. I was so naive...

Even the CG in the films was spotty, and I wouldn't have expected a TV series to match a movie's visuals anyway so it was to be expected. And the reason why the staff behind the 2016 was selected? Maybe they were the only studio willing to do it (they haven't done much so getting to work on something like Berserk's not a bad opportunity for them), the most affordable, etc. Who knows really. Anyway, I have my fingers crossed for the 2nd season.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
An editorial a while back pointed out that Shin Itagaki has an exceptional track record directing series with extremely fast pacing. That style turned out to be a really good match for Miura's insane paneling. That's how he ended up directing this.

Complain about the CG all you want, but he did cram what should have been 26+ episodes worth of content into 12 episodes in a way that was easy for newcomers to follow without altering events (beyond one anime-exclusive episode Miura plotted himself). That could not have happened in a regular series.

I, for one, am just really, honestly hyped.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
An editorial a while back pointed out that Shin Itagaki has an exceptional track record directing series with extremely fast pacing. That style turned out to be a really good match for Miura's insane paneling. That's how he ended up directing this..

Well, he isn't being the director of the eight (!) seasons of Teekyuu and it's spinoffs for nothing, if we talk about compressing the plot. Very Happy

But well, for me Itagaki and his own studio, Millepensee (studio founded by his wife) is the guys who literally pulled the weight of this series by themselves, which clearly made being cheap by the production committee. Small 2D animation inclusions by them looked really gorgeous, but seriously ruined by the GEMBA's cheap 3DCGI.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I wasn't a huge fan of the visuals, either, but it didn't prevent me from enjoying Berserk 2016. It's still got all the super-manly, hair chested story-telling that I like, so I'm pretty jazzed for the next helping.

Exactly. I also enjoyed the 2016 anime, visuals aren't everything.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought the visuals were the least of the show's problems. The sounds effects were weak and overused,the OST for the most part wasn't the best (the director also did a terrible job at picking the right music for a scene). Biggest issue by far was the direction (couldn't even frame shots properly at points).

Am a little curious to see if they improve a bit this season.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
And then watch it all get fixed for the BDs like season 1 seems to have been.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2