• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime References in American Cartoons

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExplorerOfDubs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Very nice Very Happy. Since they mention Codename KND, here's a fun fact: the episode "Operation: A.R.C.H.I.V.E." is a parody of the Second Renaissance from the Animatrix.

For anyone interested here's a page that lists a bunch of these shout outs:): http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ShoutOut/WesternAnimation (Also if you want to be more specific: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CulturalCrossReference)
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
For the last one with the Guest Director. Not a Director specifically but didn't Trigger do some work on a Steven Universe Episode?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
I like how halfway through the list it stops being Reference (Show) and becomes Show (Reference)

Just realized that most seasons this sort of poll would lead me into thinking which 5 are my favorites of the season so I can vote for those, but this season I'm honestly only watching 5 anime right now, so...
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
Always nice to see "shout outs" like these. Very Happy

Would have listed more than 5 shows in the still watching poll, but the page wouldn't let me.
But only one more. ( shrugs )
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Am I crazy or is Saga of Tanya the Evil missing from the poll?
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

I was just about to comment on that. It's definitely not in there.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

It's definitely missing
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
For the last one with the Guest Director. Not a Director specifically but didn't Trigger do some work on a Steven Universe Episode?
Yep. Takafumi Hori did the sequence for the song "Here Comes A Thought" from the episode "Mindful Education", and likely helped with a few other scenes in that episode. Which was a very beautiful song and sequence, if anyone wanted to check it out. Razz

In that same episode, they also made reference to Spirited Away near the end of it. However, as stated in the article, SU has had several references to anime and gaming properties, some subtle and some nearly blatant, so this would be likely be covered in that.
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Yeah Takufumi Hori was a guest animator on an episode. You can see some screenshots from the episode as well as some of his fanart here: https://www.google.com/amp/www.geek.com/tech/steven-universe-collabs-with-reknowned-anime-studio-trigger-1668255/%3Famp%3D1
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
One other interesting anime reference from Codename KND was the episode Operation C.A.R.A.M.E.L, which was pretty much a direct reference to the manga/Brotherhood storyline of Fullmetal Alchemist, and somehow managed to roughly predict it's ending before it even came out Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see a majority believe as I do that Kubo and the Two Strings deserves acclaim. Also, Saga of Tanya is conspicuously missing. I think it is one of the better shows this season.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
On the poll, and since once again I can't just pick all of them in the poll itself, I am still watching Akiba's Trip, Konosuba, Masamune-kun's Revenge, Onihei, Seiren, Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū, Tales of Zestiria, and Yowapeda.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Glad to see a majority believe as I do that Kubo and the Two Strings deserves acclaim

A majority of heavy ANN users, to be more precise. The one that was basically a stop-motion typical shonen anime movie was basically a shoe-in with that level of bias.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
  1. “Kubo and the Two Strings” – (Laika) 30.8%
  2. “Zootopia” – (Walt Disney Pictures) 29.8%
  3. “The Red Turtle” – (Sony Pictures Classics) 14.5%
  4. “Moana” – (Walt Disney Pictures) 8.9%
  5. “My Life as a Zucchini” - (GKIDS) 1.0%
  6. None of the above - 15.0%

None of the Above came a respectable third, it seems. Impossible though it may be, I shall help myself to a small mental fantasy wherein none of the nominated films win during the real event. (That'll teach them!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Aaron doesn't name-drop a lot of anime, but he's cited Spirited Away and Akira in the past, at least. Though I'm guessing the creative team involved with the show [*cough* LeSean Thomas *cough*] inserted more in-jokes. And the reason that it 'looks' like Samurai Champloo is that they deliberately farmed out some of the animation sequences to Madhouse. Cool
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Some of us are still watching more than 5 shows...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4