• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Mobile Suit Gundam F91

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Gundam F91 isn't particularly good but it's a little bit interesting in the small ways it defies the Newytpe cliche of past Gundam series (even as it plays out too many others straight, as Ekens writes). A "Newtype" is defined in this dialogue as "an exceptionally skilled combat pilot" instead of any of the new-agey psychic utopianism schtick that a lot of Gundam series indulge in. If you ignore any bloviating, that is indeed what Gundam series actually demonstrate about Newtypes; remarkable combat potential. At the end, the male lead is exhorted to use his psychic powers to find the female lead who floated off into space but he instead uses his naked eyes. This is outright mockery of the sci-fi superpower thing that's a Gundam trademark.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
So I don't have much of relevance to say, except that it has bugged me for *years* that I could not remember what the title of this was, only that it was a Gundam movie with a golden-haired lady.
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say the movie fits better if you play the SNES video game (which didn't come out in English but has a fan translation) that takes place before the movie and read the Gundam Crossbone manga (That also didn't come out in English but has a fan translation) that takes place after the movie. Also would of helped if the movie ended up being a series like you said it should of. While it can be weak by itself I do like the movie.

I'm surprise it didn't get a Star Wars comparison, I hear that alot. Even the music sounds like Star Wars.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Extra: We don't have any reviews for this OVA series, but our user ratings average out at around 7 out of 10.

Where is Key (the reviewer) when Key (the show) is in great need of a review? Pray validate our fondness for it, I beseech you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Crossbone never got animated but we can get 5,000 OYW side-stories will always bug me a bit.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked this movie than most UC entries including First Gundam and Char's Counterattack.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Whether or not F91 is actually a good film, it's arguably the worst Gundam installment in terms of mobile suit names.

The Ebirhu-S, the Vigna-Ghina, the Heavy-Gun... sure, Victory Gundam wasn't that much better (thanks a lot, "Gun Blastor" and "Jamesgun"), but at least "V2 Assault Buster Gundam" sounded pretty cool.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mobile Suit Gundam F91 feels like a reheated mash of ideas that I've seen in pretty much every other Gundam.

This is not unfair to say. At the same time though, this movie has been in my thoughts lately.

In this era, many in the colonies do not think well of their current government, as they are seemingly blind to their concerns, whether that be by pernicious negligence or procedural incompetence. Rising to the forefront of this frustration are the rich, aristocrats who believe they know better and ought to run things entirely, being of high standing (one way or another). Now leading the populist wave is a man of peculiar appearance, a weird demagogue who rouses supporters and infuriates opposition with red hot speeches against the establishment. In truth, he is a vindictive and petty man, haunted by a fractured family history - his daughter by an ex-wife despises him (although ends up being roped into events with him for the sake of appearances). Many others in the colonies see through this and, despite the current government’s imperfections, wish to work with the existing systems to put a stop to what they see as a dangerous movement. Despite lofty promises, it threatens to tear apart everyone’s livelihoods, and has already done a great deal of damage. The rich think they can control this outrageous man spearheading the movement, but he already has other plans in mind…

Said plans involve a robot space flower, but you get the idea.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
So which version of the English Dub will this release of 5cm have?
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching F91 approximately 10 years ago and really disliking it. I walked away from it entirely confused about everything ranging from the plot to the characters. I keep meaning to rewatch it to see if I felt the same about it so many years later, however the feeling of dread keeps coming over me everytime I feel the urge to watch it Laughing

...and holy crap! I didn't even realize 5 Centimeters was being released on Blu Ray for western release by Discotek. Definitely a buy for me when I can.

Removed my question... Darn it, Ambimunch beat me to the question Razz I'm assuming it's going to be the more recent one, but you never know. Personally, I liked the first English dub more.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Removed my question... Darn it, Ambimunch beat me to the question Razz I'm assuming it's going to be the more recent one, but you never know. Personally, I liked the first English dub more.

Me too <3 The ADV dub is better than the Bandai dub imo
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
If there is nothing else you know of Mobile Suit Gundam F91, listen to the song Eternal Wind by Hiroko Moriguchi that has improved significantly since appearing in the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_hT8S6cihM

More recently Hiroko Moriguchi sang the ending theme to One Punch Man:
森口博子 / 星より先に見つけてあげる - Music Clip Full Ver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-TxAUiwo18

and:

森口博子/宇宙の彼方で (「機動戦士ガンダム THE ORIGIN Ⅳ 運命の前夜」主題歌)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZFMP781LT4
Zetabag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the fact that F91 was originally suppose to be 52 episodes really shows. That being said wouldn't say it's writing is terrible or even bad, but it's definitely below average. The fact the show looks good is certainly what make this worth a watch and is my second favorite Gundam series in terms of visuals and animation (0083 Stardust Memory being first).

Fronzel wrote:
Gundam F91 isn't particularly good but it's a little bit interesting in the small ways it defies the Newytpe cliche of past Gundam series (even as it plays out too many others straight, as Ekens writes).

Not really, even in the old UC series (MSG to CCA) the general public mostly understood newtypes as ace pilots. While there are plenty of characters (like char) that talk about the possibilities of newtypes beyond human weapons these characters are meant to be the minority. It's a misconception that Tomino was trying to push the idea that newtypes would bring about a utopian world.

Fast forward to F91, newtypes are much more scarce to the point that some people haven't even heard of them. The reason for this is because of the lack any large scale conflicts in the 30 years between CCA and F91. F91's definition of newtypes is more or less in line with past UC series.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
If there is nothing else you know of Mobile Suit Gundam F91, listen to the song Eternal Wind by Hiroko Moriguchi that has improved significantly since appearing in the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_hT8S6cihM

Pretty much the only thing I remember from seeing part of F91 on NHK BS-2 is the theme song. Hiroko Moriguchi also hosted the BS Junior Nodojimon singing contest show for kids.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
Watched it recently and it was probably the worst UC entry I'd seen since ZZ. You could easily tell it was meant to be much longer than a two-hour-long movie from all the awkward transitions and jumps from one scene to another, the multiple ideas and themes like the weight of nobility among others that were introduced and barely explored etc. etc.
The characters suffered a lot from all this compression and I found myself having a hard time caring about the main cast, which I can barely remember the names of now that I think of it. It also had one of the worst Char clones I've seen to date. Another personal grievance is that the concept of Newtype was seemingly completely abandonned and barely if at all mentionned in the movie, when it was easily one of the more interesting notions introduced in the franchise.

Really, only good things I can say about it is that it started very strong with a very brutal depiction of war and its consequences for civilians and that it didn't seem to contain any of the "Tomino-isms" that usually plague his other works.

Last edited by Starbuckets on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2