• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cyborg 009 Call of Justice

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 vs Devilman got me excited for a new Cyborg 009 and then we get this, I hate it.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't the "pensive" 3DCGI movie from a few years ago already using a "realistic character-design"? (maybe even the Françoise TV show that I didn't see)
Also, why is the mangaka credited for the "art" and the "story" here? (it rings like wrong labels)

Thanks for the review, it cleared my doubts about the nature of this trilogy (an independent adventure in the vein of the manga, an action "blockbuster" banking on nostalgia and modernization or something trying to be thoughtful like the last one)
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
Also, why is the mangaka credited for the "art" and the "story" here? (it rings like wrong labels)

I suppose is the credits for the original concept, but they put it in a wrong way that makes you think he did something in the movie
Raijin83

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
in 2016 we had Berserk ruined from shitty CG, and now Cyborg 009? fack everything...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
So it's not a lot of pretentious twaddle like Re:Cyborg 009, which was just Kamiyama desperately trying to ape his mentor's style? That's at least some good news.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
So no Joe and Francoise make out scene?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I keep promising myself that "this Thu. through Sunday". Problem is the CGI graphics.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
If only more good CGI films like Gantz:O could be made instead of this trash.
Hung Pham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
C'mon guys have you guys actually watched to the last third? The writing there is excellent and the story has a great message.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Cool, looking forward to seeing the rest, quite enjoyed the first 40+ mins/2eps.

penguintruth wrote:
So it's not a lot of pretentious twaddle like Re:Cyborg 009, which was just Kamiyama desperately trying to ape his mentor's style? That's at least some good news.

Yup, this time it's a lot more classic and straight forward, like the TV series. At least in the first two episodes I've seen so far.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:
It is not top-tier CG work; it is not even remotely close to being in the same league as GANTZ:O, for instance, and hitting Netflix at about the same time is definitely unfortunate of it. The CG is not even on the same level as Ajin or Knights of Sidonia, as while its characters have some similar stiffness in movements, the latter two don't have some of the really awkward incidences of depicting collateral damage or some of the painfully artificial-looking setting depictions.

This is such a shame. I've always had a soft spot for 009 and if they wanted to hit some nostalgia buttons this is one franchise to do it with. I thought Ajin improved on KoS by giving the characters more purposeful lifelike gestures whereas KoS characters were very jerky in their movements especially in the first season. Still the CG worked well enough for me and I enjoyed both shows (own KoS). I would say they are probably the minimum level I need to sit thru a CG work and if according to Theron Call of Justice doesn't even measure up to that standard then I'm probably not going to bother to watch it (especially if the story is mediocre).

I had hope that after the previous movie which I was ok with the visuals, but a terrible story they might improve with this new project, but alas it seems like no.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
I don't know why the staff of that 2012 movie and this trilogy didn't decide for the same animation as that movie where he fights Devil Man. There would also be consistency if they got more of the English dub cast from the Toonami version on this. At least Kirk Thornton stayed around.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Dropped it during the second episode but the 3D animation is not as bad as the others are making it out to be. A shame 3D animation in Japanese animation is so frowned upon, it's mostly bad but there are some really good shows in the medium and Cyborg 009 doesn't look that bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1