• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical to Publish Osamu Tezuka's Black Jack Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rawshark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Blackjack right after Dororo. Vertical is on a roll. Astro Boy omnibus by Dark Horse would make it perfect.
lord-darkseid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
Yo AWO, finally listened to your Tezuka review. Nice work as always. And yesh, finallt getting to read more Black Jack is a damned good thing. Now if only someone would actually take a chance on releasing the recent animated stuff over here. Know it's not as flashy as the stuff that usually sells but damn, these are some good anime.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:53 am Reply with quote
The only way to get the recent Black Jack anime out here is to support the recent Phoenix from MB.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quote
Oh, heck yeah! Anime hyper First the Someday's Dreamers live-action film, now this. Sweet. Cool I've always been drawn to Black Jack's character design, but it wasn't until I saw the spectacular Tezuka exhibit at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco that I felt a deep desire to read the manga. Now I'm kinda sad I didn't get that Black Jack clear file at the gift shop... Oh, well. Seems like there are a lot of people who've been waiting a lot longer than me for this news, though.

I can't wait to sink my teeth into this anti-hero's story...Anime catgrin
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quote
YES! I can finally finish reading the rest of the series!

Viz never finished publishing the series. There were only 2 volumes ever were released. I don't even know if others had been released. Then there was the mysterious hardcover version on Amazon.com. But it was "out of print". Was it even available and who published it. Oh, and there was the listing of other volumes that often said "out of print" as well. So you never knew what was going on.

Well, it's good that Vertical is taking on this task. Hopefully, 'Jungle Taitei Leo' won't be far behind. The last time I saw it reviewed (even though it was never released here) was on the long defunct anime site EX.org (which still has info but hasn't been updated since 2002.).

I'm really pleased with 'Vertical's commitment to releasing older titles. I will be adding throwing this suggestion around at my job since we only have the first 2 books.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
Since many people are on the wish-list mode here...
One Tezuka product I wish someone would license (or rahter, put together, as I'm not sure a similar product actually exists in Japan) is a DVD anthology of the experimental animation shorts he produced - from the 1960s to the late 1980s. There's a complete list in the official Tezuka website:

http://en-f.tezuka.co.jp/anime/classification/experiment.html

I don't know how many anime fans will buy this kind of thing, but I'm sure it will find a market among arthouse animation fans.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
Raz: I imagine the company which snagged Unico will make an announcement about it soon, too.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
Raz_G wrote:
Since many people are on the wish-list mode here...
One Tezuka product I wish someone would license (or rahter, put together, as I'm not sure a similar product actually exists in Japan) is a DVD anthology of the experimental animation shorts he produced - from the 1960s to the late 1980s. There's a complete list in the official Tezuka website:

http://en-f.tezuka.co.jp/anime/classification/experiment.html

I don't know how many anime fans will buy this kind of thing, but I'm sure it will find a market among arthouse animation fans.

Yeah, now that would be worth getting. But it would be hard sell to fans. And the only people that would want it would be animation historians or oldschool hardcore fans. I think the only time anyone has had a chance to see this anthology was through fansubs.

Personally, it would be cool if someone were to acquire the original 'Hi no Tori' features and release them here. But so far the TV series that MB release is probably the closest we'll get.
CloakBass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
```````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
This is GREAT news. I always enjoyed Black Jack back when it was in Manga Vizion, so it'll be great to read more of it.

HellKorn wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Hellkorn: Money talks, and those shoujo titles will happen, if Viz waves enough cash in their face.

Would it be worth it for Viz? Shoujo is a driving force in the market, but would the audience give a rat's ass about mature, atypical short stories that were created well before they were even born?

The legal quandary comes in printing Four Shojo Stories as an anthology with work by 3 different artists. There's nothing to say Viz can't publish the same stories in a different collection with the stories grouped with other stories by the same author. They've translated more than enough work by Keiko Nishi to fill up a few GNs and throw Promise and Since You've Been Gone in there, and They Were 11 and A, A' could be packaged together as well. Not to say Viz would do it, but they could certainly do it without publishing the stories as quote-unquote "Four Shojo Stories."

I wonder which is cheaper: buying a copy of the GN, or the original comics that comprised it? (That'd be the 4-issue They Were 11 miniseries, the Promise 1-shot, and a random issue of Animerica that featured The Changeling, all of which I do already own Smile ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Count me as one of those who'd like to Black Jack 21 licensed. Really entertaining from start to finish.

Raz_G wrote:

I would. I've even already bought the re-released R2 DVD (still haven't watched it yet, tho'). A few of the shorts (five?) have been fansubbed.

jgreen wrote:
This is GREAT news. I always enjoyed Black Jack back when it was in Manga Vizion, so it'll be great to read more of it.

Old man.

Quote:
Not to say Viz would do it, but they could certainly do it without publishing the stories as quote-unquote "Four Shojo Stories."

Again, I just have to wonder about whether Viz would think it to be worth it, and whether they could be "bothered" to deal with contracts and the like to include them in more collections.

Quote:
I wonder which is cheaper: buying a copy of the GN, or the original comics that comprised it? (That'd be the 4-issue They Were 11 miniseries, the Promise 1-shot, and a random issue of Animerica that featured The Changeling, all of which I do already own Smile ).

If you can even FIND copies of those four pamphlets separately. (Not that I've checked, but I'm skeptical.)
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm a lame-o who's just starting to get into "classical" anime and manga. I really appreciate that companies like Vertical are able to publish such quality titles. I'm just finishing up Apollo's Song right now.
AegisX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Count me as one of those who'd like to Black Jack 21 licensed. Really entertaining from start to finish.

Seconded.

Honestly, hearing this made me giddy as a school girl.
quartears

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
yes yes yes!!!! I'm so happy I'm about to sprout a tail and start waggiong it!
Ryusui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
I gotta pick me up Vertical's other Tezuka releases sometime.

Any idea when this is hitting shelves?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3