• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals English Dub Cast For New Berserk Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
{Edit}: Unnecessarily rude trollish post removed ~ Psycho 101

Last edited by dark13 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
It's sounds... fine, from the few lines we got. Nothing special but nothing terrible either. Kaiji Tang is a decent pick for Guts at least, but still, the old dub cast was pretty iconic. It just won't be the same.
thelastronin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
Funimation you really must not understand or care about how popular Berserk is, or maybe you think us dub fans should be happy that there is a dub at all? I watched the new Berserk and enjoyed it despite its obvious flaws but I knew that Funimation made a deal with crunchyroll to dub and release Berserk, so I kept telling myself surely they would get the same cast(as Viz did for the movies), or at least the same main character voice actors. I felt that the iconic cast of Berserk could bring life to these dead cgi monstrosities.Nope. You really screwed this one up. I'm sure I'm not the only one who won't be shelling out money for this now. Brings back memories of not bothering to get Wolfwood's voice actor for Trigun: Badlands Rumble.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
Here's to hoping they'll snatch the original for a Blu-Ray rerelease.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
???? Why in the world would you omit Diraison who has always been Guts? Furthermore, the entire show is a California dub anyway so it's a weird omission. It would be one thing if it were a local Funi dub, but this is just baffling.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
thelastronin wrote:
Funimation you really must not understand or care about how popular Berserk is, or maybe you think us dub fans should be happy that there is a dub at all? I watched the new Berserk and enjoyed it despite its obvious flaws but I knew that Funimation made a deal with crunchyroll to dub and release Berserk, so I kept telling myself surely they would get the same cast(as Viz did for the movies), or at least the same main character voice actors. I felt that the iconic cast of Berserk could bring life to these dead cgi monstrosities.Nope. You really screwed this one up. I'm sure I'm not the only one who won't be shelling out money for this now. Brings back memories of not bothering to get Wolfwood's voice actor for Trigun: Badlands Rumble.

I'm really surprised Viz didn't pick it up. That's just too bad about not getting the original dub cast back. That's just disappointing, especially since Viz did it.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
Kind of bittersweet. I like the old cast but I'm not a fan of this adaption.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
Seriously, Funimation? Marc Diraison IS Guts. This is like switching the. Dub cast for Death Note or Yugioh. You can't just change it after all this time. Hell, while the movies were flawed, the Dub cast sounds even better there than in the show. Why switch it up now?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
Yeesh, poor Marc and Carrie. Then again, we're talking about the 2016 version, so.... they're probably happy.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
If Funi tried to reunite the cast but it didn't work out or some of the cast just didn't want to return, then I think there should be less criticism. If they didn't even bother, I say the criticism is warranted.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
^You can check their twitters. They seem disappointed.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
The English Berserk cast is iconic, and they could have easily gotten Marc and Carrie back with Bang Zoom. The cast here is very talented, but I'm still baffled out of my mind. It will not sound like Berserk.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
Hey guys, I don't think FUNimation chose this cast. I'm pretty sure this is Crunchyroll's doing. This is similar to what happened with Mob Psycho 100, where Crunchyroll worked with Bang Zoom to produce the dub and it streamed on FUNimation. There's no way FUNimation would've gone with Bang Zoom instead of NYAV Post because they're ​in good terms with Micheal Sinterniklaas.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
Ahh, so they got the guy who voiced Masaru Kato and Archer from Gantz:O and Fate/Stay Night UBW. He sounds all right as Guts. If the dub turns out to be solid (hopefully) then perhaps I might actually tolerate this adaptation and just watch it for fun. Though then again, if the dub turns out to be terrible I can just watch the show to have a blast ripping it apart! Laughing This is why I love dubs, they're always a win-win for me!
Rowan Maselli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
The 2016 Berserk series is a complete disgrace to the manga. Why would they waist resources on this instead of dubbing a good show?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3