• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses Re:Zero EX Spinoff Novels

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
With all this news of Re:Zero-related media getting licenses, I'm starting to wonder if the anime is ever going to get North American release. The anime debuted a year ago and still no news.

Anyway, I'm shocked YP chose to do this -- I assumed they chose to publish the original novel and manga to cash in on the popularity of the anime at the time, similar to the KonoSuba license and initial release coming about during its second season. Seems kinda risky that their publishing this out of the blue.
Laethiel

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Since they're already publishing the main novels, I'm not surprised they'd pick these up. EX 1 in particular was really good, it gives a lot of background on Crusch and Ferris that the main series doesn't have time for.

A lot about Wilhelm's past in EX 2 was already mentioned in the main series, so it wasn't nearly as interesting to me overall, but I did like getting to see some of the other characters in their younger days.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Anyway, I'm shocked YP chose to do this -- I assumed they chose to publish the original novel and manga to cash in on the popularity of the anime at the time, similar to the KonoSuba license and initial release coming about during its second season. Seems kinda risky that their publishing this out of the blue.

Yen Press licensed the original Re:Zero light novel + manga before the anime even aired, so I don't think it's fair to say that they licensed those parts of the series to cash in on its popularity. However, I think it is fair to say that Yen Press have benefited from the series surge in popularity thanks to the anime adaptation, without it who knows where the series might have ended up.

Last edited by Swiftyy on Tue May 16, 2017 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

Yen Press licensed the original Re:Zero light novel + manga before the anime even aired, so I don't think it's fair to say that they licensed those parts of the series to cash in on it's popularity. However, I think it is fair to say that Yen Press have benefited from the series surge in popularity thanks to the anime adaptation, without it who knows where the series might have ended up.

They also did the same thing with Danmachi. People like to complain about yen press a lot (dont understand why) but they definetly know what they're doing.
Mathias2001

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Glad that they aren't going to publish these novels as if they were part of the main series which would ultimately make it so that the translated light novel would only catch up to the anime by 2020 and instead publish them as a seperate but related entity so that we can not only have these novels but have them in a way that won't slow down the translation of the main novels.
amc9988

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Swiftyy wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

Yen Press licensed the original Re:Zero light novel + manga before the anime even aired, so I don't think it's fair to say that they licensed those parts of the series to cash in on it's popularity. However, I think it is fair to say that Yen Press have benefited from the series surge in popularity thanks to the anime adaptation, without it who knows where the series might have ended up.

They also did the same thing with Danmachi. People like to complain about yen press a lot (dont understand why) but they definetly know what they're doing.

They love to complain about YP because their fan translation is getting take down. These "fans" apparently prefer to read LN for free instead of buying them when it is available in english cause the have to "wait for too long".
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:25 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:

Some complaints are leveled by people who are upset about the fan translations - and how they're losing a "free" option that is well ahead of Yen Press.

Some are upset about Yen Press' length between releases.

Some are upset about the quality of their translations. Many first volumes they have released were quite iffy in their translation and the quality, particularly ones that came out during the early days of Yen On (so, the post Haruhi and Spice & Wolf era).

That said, they are providing a legal way to bring light novels over that also allows us to support the original creators. So, between them Seven Seas, One Peace, Vertical and J-novel Club, we're in a heyday of light novels. That shouldn't be something to complain about Anime hyper
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:

Some are upset about the quality of their translations. Many first volumes they have released were quite iffy in their translation and the quality, particularly ones that came out during the early days of Yen On (so, the post Haruhi and Spice & Wolf era).

I can confirm the translation for much of the dialogue in the 3 Re:Zero volumes I own is rather stilted and reads rather unnaturally. But obviously the same person doesn't tl every series.

Still happy to own them however.

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Wed May 17, 2017 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Was that short EX1 story description made by the people on Yen Press or did the people of ANN dig the information up themselves?
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
amc9988 wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
Swiftyy wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

They love to complain about YP because their fan translation is getting take down. These "fans" apparently prefer to read LN for free instead of buying them when it is available in english cause the have to "wait for too long".

The Web novel is free, and is being fan translated as we speak. They can read that for all I care.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
[quote="ThatGuyWhoLikesThings"]
CaRoss wrote:

I can confirm the translation for much of the dialogue in the 3 Re:Zero volumes I own is rather stilted and reads rather unnaturally. But obviously the same person doesn't tl every series.

Same. I haven't read the novels in Japanese, but I read the web novel on the main site now, so I have a feel for how it's written (which is, frankly, pretty standard, but still fitting). I've only read #1 in English (I own 2 and 3, though) and it felt really... meh...
The format, for one, affects the writing much like how NISIOISIN's writing gets partially mellowed out with English novel formatting. Specifically, the way that each line is written or combined into paragraphs ends up breaking part of the original flow. It's hard to explain unless you know Japanese and already know why they're formatted nearly sentence by sentence on a new line for dialogue and such.

Still, I'll keep collecting them and reading them.
amc9988

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
CaRoss wrote:

Well tbh, not that the fan translation is that great too. From what I have read, I generally prefer YP translation compared to fan translation. At the same time I won't deny that fan translation is the one that helped LN to become popular in the west. LN like Sword Art Online and Empty Box and The Zeroth Maria was popular in the west thanks to fan translation. After all fan translation from BT was the one that first introduced SAO in the western before it become widely known thanks to the anime. And let face it, the reason YP license Zeroth Maria and some other LN like Danmachi and index is due to how they are popular among the western in the fan translation fanbase. But at the same time I think the fan translation readers (not translators) need to chill out when YP license their fav series.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Actually I find that YP's translation has been steady importing with each release (as they generally tend to do). They still some odd translation choices and mistakes from time to time, but readability wise it's been pretty good compared to how the first volume was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1