• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Epic Threads - Cosplaying with Duct Tape

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
Is this some MacGyver costume making? I'm not a cosplayer, but this was a an interesting read! Like they say, gaffa tape can be used for absolutely anything if you are creative enough.
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen this section before - is this a regular section? Cause I'm a total newbie when it comes to cosplaying. I'll be cosplaying for the first time this month, so I need all the tips I'm gonna need.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow- duct tape. never thought to use that.
I might have to try it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
ABout 4 or 5 yrs ago there was a Chocolate Misu at Comic-con-the suspender outfit (black pants, hat, suspenders-no shirt). I assumed since the Black suspenders managed to stay over her breases tape or glue was involved. She was enourmously popular among the male con-goers
Talon87

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
For those who already know how to use a sewing machine and fabric, this probably won't be replacing the traditional costume-making method any time soon. The tradeoff for ease of use would seem to be cost; God knows how many rolls of duct tape he goes through just to cover every last square-centimeter of cardboard.

However, for those who are going for less traditional "costumes" (e.g. Al from FMA, a Gundam unit, anything not really made of fabric in the anime's universe!), this sounds like a brilliant idea. Should open the door for a lot more cosplay, and it is admittedly hard to beat the (relative) ease of duct tape and cardboard vs. PVC or other hard materials.

Cool article.
Zombie Youth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... isn't it illegal to have a toy gun without a bright orange tip on it? I mean, even if it is made of duct tape.

But yeah. Duct tape fixes everything, costumes included.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
I never made a full costume with tape, but I have used electrical tape on a black pleather / vinyl costume to fix stuff that had come unsewn. I kept a bit of it in a pocket just in case and I needed it for some bits I had rushed to sew on.

Quote:
is resilient to earth, fire, wind, and water

Yes, but can it stand up against the greatest power of them all?
Heart.
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Lol, this article immediately made my think of the Red and Green movie^^ Duct tape for the win!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keito.chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Duct tape is the best ever and don't underestimate the strength of cardboard. I made my sword (Saya from Blood+) out of both and it works magnificently. When I started, I was worried that it wouldn't work (especially with me at the helm, crafts and I don't get along, but there's very little I won't at least attempt for the sake of cosplay), but was much easier to do than I had expected. It's survived a con and halloween and still looks great.

Plus, that's the only prop I've managed to get through security (forgot that the metal head of a staff shouldn't actually be metal.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1