• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Royal Tutor's Original Anime Ending Made Manga Creator Cry

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Akai said that although the anime is different from the manga, she approves.

I don't understand how manga artists can be okay with their works being butchered. It's not that hard to find a good point to stop at... like the end of an arc or something.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Manga artist is the one who approves the changes, like with FMA 03
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
I don't understand how manga artists can be okay with their works being butchered. It's not that hard to find a good point to stop at... like the end of an arc or something.

Assumptions, assumptions.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

Assumptions, assumptions.

Then please do grace us with your knowledge and explain why is this element so frequent and why are the original authors okay with it?
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Then please do grace us with your knowledge and explain why is this element so frequent and why are the original authors okay with it?

Why do people get more offended then the manga's creator? Question

It's not a big deal. Rolling Eyes
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I went to watch the episode after reading this (I would've run but I only had to click on a tab). I'm crying. Even more of a reason to buy the manga now. I want to know who Heine really is and why he's so chummy with Viktor.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

You know it's okay for an adaptation to be different from the source material. Insisting a show must be an exact frame for frame adaptation is just a great way to stifle creativity. Plus I like that the anime is wrapping up. We have too many shows that were stopped dead in the middle of a story that will never get a second season, which gets old. (Yes yes, just read the source material, but that's not always an option for us non-Japanese speaking folk.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

Because manga writers aren't fans who think the manga is better just because and know that as an adaptation they're not and don't necessarily have the follow the source material to a T. Plus they're collecting checks off of royalties so what's to complain about.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:

Well, from a standpoint. You are correct. Who are the masses to feel offended for the author? However, that is not necessarily the point. We do understand they're getting a lot of payment from these anime makers. But I'm not one to buy they're 100% okay with their material to get altered just because somebody paid them heavy bucks.

They worked hard for it, lost sleep, stressed out and everything. If having your material animated would mean you will lose the right to dictate how will the story goes from then, then that's utter BS. It's like having raised an adopted child so preciously, then all of a sudden, real parents retook the child and you have no say because they paid you consolation money.

All I'm saying is, whether this author actually said he/she is okay with his/her work altered in the finale, I don't believe he/she is 100% okay with it. I know somehow in their inner selves, they are frustrated because these anime makers aren't respecting their hard work the way it should be respected.
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

Butchering a work =/= doing an alternate ending. The anime director certainly needed the original author's o.k. to do this, and she seemed glad about how it turned out, so it's all fine and dandy. For some authors it's entertaining to see their characters and base history going somewhere different than what they originaly wrote; it's like seeing their creation coming alive, in some way. And even if that's not the case here, hey, at least she's getting her payment and recognition. Wink
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

The mangaka or the original creator is happy with what the anime staff had done. I don't know who you are to feel so entitled in claiming that they "butchered" the original work.

A lot of time mangaka let the anime staff do their own scenario because they believed in the anime staffs judgement, and also because they're busy doing their own job (so they can't review the script or even watch the anime when it airs). Sometime it ends horribly (like Kuma Miko for example), but sometimes it's the creators' wishes for the anime to have their own ending (Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 for example, the mangaka herself want the anime to have an original ending and alternate story)

Saku-dono wrote:
All I'm saying is, whether this author actually said he/she is okay with his/her work altered in the finale, I don't believe he/she is 100% okay with it.

Unless the author themselves blatantly announce their objection on the anime adaptation, there's no way to know if they're 100% okay with that or not.

Saku-dono wrote:
I know somehow in their inner selves, they are frustrated because these anime makers aren't respecting their hard work the way it should be respected.

Are you perhaps a mangaka whose original works had gone "butchered" in anime adaptation? Or are you a psychic who can read mangaka thoughts?

Last edited by shiranehito on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
BlueRex666 wrote:

Well, from a standpoint. You are correct. Who are the masses to feel offended for the author? However, that is not necessarily the point. We do understand they're getting a lot of payment from these anime makers. But I'm not one to buy they're 100% okay with their material to get altered just because somebody paid them heavy bucks.

They worked hard for it, lost sleep, stressed out and everything. If having your material animated would mean you will lose the right to dictate how will the story goes from then, then that's utter BS. It's like having raised an adopted child so preciously, then all of a sudden, real parents retook the child and you have no say because they paid you consolation money.

All I'm saying is, whether this author actually said he/she is okay with his/her work altered in the finale, I don't believe he/she is 100% okay with it. I know somehow in their inner selves, they are frustrated because these anime makers aren't respecting their hard work the way it should be respected.

Dude, sometimes the animators put in just as much work as the manga creator did. And evem so you're STILL assuming she's mad or upset on how the anime went. She gave it her approval. She did what she had to. Stop saying she's peeved off. In the end of the day she's still making her money.

Anime original endings are okay you know and hell, sometimes they're needed. It's better to have an anime end at one point than to keep it on a cliff hanger like with most animes because then it's incomplete. Also, that's also a way so that they aren't playing catch-up with the manga and rushing the episodes. It can go at it's own pace. Just because an anime has a different ending from the manga that doesn't mean it's ruined. It's just different. Sorry to rant but I just really dislike people (unfortunately, in this case, like you) who take it upon themselves to say how an author is feeling when that could be her genuine reaction. She's happy enough that she cried and enjoyed it. There's no underlying feelings. Don't be a conspiracy theorist. Just enjoy the anime as it is.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
BlueRex666 wrote:

Glad you're here to defend all manga creators and that you know definitively exactly how they feel. Rolling Eyes

No, for real though, many original creators of a work are creatively quite happy with some changes to their work, as it would seem this one is. I've read enough interviews by now to know that many of them specifically REQUEST for changes to be made because they want to do things differently, or because they want to see how someone else envisions their work. These are creative people. THEIR creation already exists. And they want people to experience that, certainly, but an adaptation of their work is someone else's creative project. They still hold the right to ultimately say yes or no to any changes that are made, but they very often want to see something different. And so do I. If I want the story exactly as a Mangaka envisioned it, I'll read the manga. I don't need or want the anime to be exactly the same. That's a sign of a creatively bankrupt industry, honestly.

Also, I really like anime original endings when enough thought is put into them. I don't want to feel like I just got a little snippet of someone else's story in a totally different medium. I want to feel like I experienced a proper story in its own medium. An anime that has a satisfying anime original ending is hard to beat, in my opinion.

Last edited by relyat08 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Most writers probably thought about a variety of endings for their stories, and then picked the one they felt was best, also for a variety of reasons, like how to make the story flow organically from beginning to end, or because of how the characters changed in their heads from when they first began to develop them with a certain ending in mind.

Seeing an anime use a different ending has little to no impact on how their own telling of the story will go (unless they like it so much they incorporate it into their own work), and if that alternate ending is also a good one, there's no reason for the author to be chuffed about it. If it's utter crap like the aforementioned Kumamiko ending, then yeah, they'll be unhappy to see their characters done such a disservice - especially if it negatively affects sales of the manga. But I have no reason to think this author is lying or just being diplomatic about her approval.

And no, it's not like having the real parents take away your child. The mangaka is the real parent and still has their child and is still rearing it as they see fit, regardless of what the anime does.

I think if I were a mangaka, I'd be more put out by some of the the crappy doujinshi fans write about my characters than anything an anime might do with them. Talk about butchery...
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
BlueRex666 wrote:

Whenever I see this statement about "creative work = precious baby", I feel like I have -to butt in and hold up a THIS IS A BUSINESS placard. If you've seen enough afterwords by mangaka and novelists and read between the lines you'll realize that:
1. The finished product has already been 'butchered' several times over by the editor. (with the author's 'permission', of course). It is not rare for their original ideas to get rejected, or modified multiple times before being given a pass.
2. Throughout their careers, authors would be compelled to write stuff that they don't even remotely like, or continue writing a work they no longer like, just because that stuff sells.
3. Plenty of authors are appreciative of seeing renditions of their work whether official (i.e. TV, movie) or fan-made (i.e. doujins, fan fiction) because this is often indicative of the popularity of their work (and popularity = more readers = cash).

I'm speaking in general here of course. I'm not saying all artists allow this to happen to their "beloved" works, but I think this feeling of entitlement and possessiveness over one's creative output is more common among the amateur crowd (I know for one I've been through the watermark-everything stage of being an artist).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2