• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki: 'I Won't See' Mary and the Witch's Flower Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Now that's an awfully misleading headline. It may sound as Miyazaki being an asshole, but in reality he's acknowledging that Yonebayashi worked really hard, and thus doesn't need to see it to know it's a good quality film.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Have to agree, this is a very misleading/clickbaity title.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not happy with it either, especially considering that it will probably lead to the spiteful and derogative comments of people who ignore the context and see the quoted part as the entirety of Miyazaki's personality.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
The title isn't that misleading. Miyazaki telling the director Yonebayashi "you worked hard" is still damning with faint praise, even in Japan. Meanwhile, Isao Takahata's comment can only really only be read as a vote of no confidence.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
OK, at this point I must ask: do these articles have an editor at all? Because some of these "translations" make so little sense it's obvious something is fishy, even without having read the original!

For example:
Quote:
"You worked hard. When you are released from the curse of Ghibli, maybe you can make such a film. You made a good film unaffectedly and carefree."

??? But he's not with Ghibli anymore! But if we look at the original, what he actually said was:
Quote:
「よく頑張った。ジブリの呪縛から解き放たれるとこういう映画を作るのか。素直に伸び伸びといい作品を作ったな」

That is, in a quick&dirty translation: "Good job. So this is the kind of movie you make after being released from Ghibli's spell. It's a good movie, made freely and at ease."

Or another:
Quote:
"It's a film that has a good feeling. But as to whether I have a good impression, I think this film's success could be in danger."

It was at this point that I decided I had to see the original article because this makes no sense whatsoever. I mean really, did no-one give this a read-over?
In Japanese this is:
Quote:
「好感がもてる映画です。ただ、私が好感を持つということは、この映画の成功は危ういんじゃないかな……」

"It's a movie that is easy to like. But the fact that I like it means that its success might be in danger..."
He's being sarcastic, considering Kaguya-hime's box-office reception.

Or this one:
Quote:
Nishimura expressed his confidence in the upcoming film at the event and said, "Director Yonebayashi declared 'I'll spend all of the roughly 20 years of my Ghibli life!'"

I wonder if anyone reads this and understands what Yonebayashi meant by that and why it is significant re: the article. If you look at the source, it says:
Quote:
「米林監督が『ジブリ人生約20年のすべてを費やす!』と明言してスタートしたその結果が作品に出ている」と自信をみなぎらせる西村プロデューサー。

In quick and dirty translation: "Nishimura expressed his confidence [in the movie] saying, "When he started out with this film Director Yonebayashi said 'I'll pour into this all the roughly 20 years of my life at Ghibli!" You can see the results of this in the movie."
I'm sure that a native English speaker could express it better but the point is that this is supposed to be where he burns his Ghibli life away and becomes his own person, artistically speaking.

All I'm saying is, some QC really wouldn't hurt.

By the way, as for Miyazaki, he was being an ass. Yonebayashi visited them to show them his movie and Miyazaki basically said he wasn't interested. What he said after wasn't an acknowledgement of Yonebayashi's film, it was "good job finishing it".
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Many thanks to SHD for clearing up what struck me as a dodgy article with some convoluted translations.
nagpo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
OK, at this point I must ask: do these articles have an editor at all? Because some of these "translations" make so little sense it's obvious something is fishy, even without having read the original!

Thanks for doing this. Perhaps someone just put it through google translate and said fudge it.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the translations/clarification, SHD! Makes more sense now. I got pretty confused with the 20 years thing and the Ghibli curse.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Out of context, the headline/title wouldn't be so clickbait. . . if there weren't a lot of anti-Miyazaki people on ANN. If this was a site with a more neutral userbase, it'd be fine. But that title. . .

It's just off too, since he really doesn't come down negative on Yonebashi. (He really does feel like that older mentor, lol.)

SHD wrote:
(. . .)

Also sending many thanks your way! It was an awkward read and had me tilting my head. I didn't even think to hunt down the source article, but thanks so much for doing that and translating. Makes way more sense.

I look forward to watching the movie, and am glad for him and his studio's work~. I'm very interested in the book, too.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
My thanks as well, SHD. I was rewording the phrases as I read the article because they didn't make much sense to me either. My English teacher senses were on fire the whole time.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
By the way, as for Miyazaki, he was being an ass. Yonebayashi visited them to show them his movie and Miyazaki basically said he wasn't interested. What he said after wasn't an acknowledgement of Yonebayashi's film, it was "good job finishing it".

Even the Japanese are getting sick of Miyazaki. I look at the comments of Japanese articles about him and they're mostly negative. Being cantankerous, rude, and arrogant are not looked highly upon in Japan. His detractors call him "Old Man Lolicon".
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I automatically assumed that he would be too busy working on his own 'final' film to see anything new, let alone something from his former colleague at Ghibli. Cool
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
While I agree the title comes off misleading simply saying "stupid click bait" or any other version while offering nothing of substance is pointless at best and trollish at worst. So cut it out. If you have nothing to say on the actual topic beyond that just save your breath.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
Thank you all for the feedback. We have reworked the translated quotes in the article, and have changed the headlines to better reflect the article's contents.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
AFAIK Miyazaki hasn't watched a lot of movies he liked. In fact, I remember an interview where he admitted he didn't watch Pixar movies even if John Lasseter is a friend of him. He even jokingly asked the interviewer to "please do not told Lasseter".

Quote:
Even the Japanese are getting sick of Miyazaki. I look at the comments of Japanese articles about him and they're mostly negative. Being cantankerous, rude, and arrogant are not looked highly upon in Japan. His detractors call him "Old Man Lolicon".
Wait, what? Probably it has nothing to do that he doesn't like "otaku" anime (as in, the niched one for a certain demographic). Sure. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by kgw on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2