• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Threw Flare at Keyakizaka46 Handshake Event, Arrested for Bringing Knife

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
Two idol incidents reported on ANN in less than 6 hours. Another one should be reported soon, right?

lol at them stating he's unemployed.
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
It's good that no one was injured, but man, I really feel for these idols. Anyone would have their emotional shaken by someone atempting to murder them, and when the target in question are mostly young girls, this kind of thing can be life scarring.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
He "thought he'd go and kill" someone with a fruit knife and a flare?? Although a fruit knife can be very sharp, they generally aren't very large. And he threw the flare before attacking? Though it doesn't even sound from the story like he actually attempted an attack. Just threw a flare and generally moped around? I am glad noone was hurt but gads he sounds like a fool.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:55 am Reply with quote
This man clearly is dangerous to society. He should be dealt with immediately.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:17 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

Japanese arrest reports always report employment status. If the offender is employed, the report indicates the type of employment.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:54 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Two idol incidents reported on ANN in less than 6 hours. Another one should be reported soon, right?

I wonder: How much longer until idol is considered a dangerous job?
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
Gee, guys, it's almost as if this idol thing attracts an unfavorable fanbase...!
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Gee, guys, it's almost as if this idol thing attracts an unfavorable fanbase...!

Surely, lets not generalize. I'm pretty sure many still have their moral compass on, and are healthy-minded, or at least nice or decent human beings. But there is a big problem in the Idol fandom/Otaku in general. And lets not forget, of course, the malpractices of the japanese entertainment industry itself.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

1 person out of millions of fans does something, entire fanbase is to blame. Seems logical.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

1 person out of millions of fans does something, entire fanbase is to blame. Seems logical.

This response baffles me endlessly. Aside from the fact that if you've been paying attention to the news it's much more than "1 person", I mentioned the fanbase as the result, not the cause. How you saw that as "blame" I don't understand - what am I blaming the fanbase for, the fanbase? How can I blame something for its own creation?

The problem here, and I thought everyone knew this already, is the system of "fictionalizing" real people into personae that can be marketed as products. The anime film Perfect Blue is a better essay on this than anything I could tell you; see also Paranoia Agent for a more general, less idol-specific take on Japanese escapism.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
Japan needs to outlaw this entire "handshake" racket.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the hikikomori problem may be a contributing factor to these handshake event incidents...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Another bad week for idols, and worse the fan just wanted to kill one of the idols for no reason at all. I can at least have some pity for the last case, he must've been lonely and I don't think he would've hurt anyone, he needs some help and time to think about the direction of his life, but this guy here is deranged and using a terrorist tactic to attempt to kill an idol and needs to just stay in the slammer for life.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

The problem here, and I thought everyone knew this already, is the system of "fictionalizing" real people into personae that can be marketed as products. The anime film Perfect Blue is a better essay on this than anything I could tell you; see also Paranoia Agent for a more general, less idol-specific take on Japanese escapism.

No, the real problem is that there are deranged and evil people out there who want their 5 minutes of infamy. Always funny how the anime community thinks this sort of thing is isolated to the Japanese Idol community.

It seems it is easy to forget things like the guy that tried to kill President Reagan because of his love for the actress Jodi Foster. You know like, fame brings out all the crazies. The problem is not idol culture or fandom, it is the fact that in the United States and Japan (and probably with every other nation) lets plenty of mentally unbalanced people run around loose and untreated. That is a separate issue of just plain evil people doing their own thing too.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It seems it is easy to forget things like the guy that tried to kill President Reagan because of his love for the actress Jodi Foster. You know like, fame brings out all the crazies. The problem is not idol culture or fandom, it is the fact that in the United States and Japan (and probably with every other nation) lets plenty of mentally unbalanced people run around loose and untreated. That is a separate issue of just plain evil people doing their own thing too.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/16/fan-who-murdered-christina-grimmie-was-obsessed-with-voice-singer/

Funny how no one says "American singers need to stop. The government should intervene and ban these 'concerts'. It's unhealthy and promotes unhealthy fan obsession and attracts terrible people. Sad how America hasn't stopped this dehumanization and fictionalizing real people."

You may as way drink the last drop of cool Aid and say video games cause violence. Trying to attribute an individual's actions to their hobbies is what tabloids do to drum up clicks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2