• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What the Heck Happened to Berserk?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
While I can appreciate wanting to recreate the detail from the manga, I don't think it would have been all that crucial to a successful Berserk anime. Even before the movies were announced, I accepted that any anime version would have its limitations because that much detail would be nearly impossible to animate. Even now, people stick it out because they like the story enough to put up with how awful the animation looks.
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
I always wanted to know what the hell happened with this adaptation, so thanks for the article. It's a shame that this happened to a manga like Berserk.

Anime production these days really is hell, especially when the assets and time aren't there...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Very interesting insights into what went wrong. I was one of the (apparently rare) Berserker fans who wasn't overly troubled by the visuals. To me, the story-telling is the primary thing. Having said that, a production where the visuals matched the story-telling would have been most welcome.
AlexStrider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
While I can appreciate wanting to recreate the detail from the manga, I don't think it would have been all that crucial to a successful Berserk anime. Even before the movies were announced, I accepted that any anime version would have its limitations because that much detail would be nearly impossible to animate. Even now, people stick it out because they like the story enough to put up with how awful the animation looks.

WTH does it mean "nearly impossible to animate"? It's not true, it's bullsh*t, and this animated version is cr*p!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Although the show retains a dedicated audience thanks to the popularity of its source material

Yeah... how about a hard no. At least in form of paying customers, aka the only voice worth listening to.
The Japanese sales numbers are now so low that even a passionate hater of this show as me is getting worried. This shit can´t even chart anymore, with sales below 1k!

Every single adaptation since 2012 got a 3 star rating on amazon.jp at the very best, so someone needs to stop this runaway train. The middling success of Musou (in Japan only) is even the biggest financial "win".
Miura, i am looking at you and this "series" straight out hurt the brand at this point, as putting out an even worse 2nd season was just too much for everyone involved. At least it ended with an admittance of defeat.

On the informative article itself. Adobe After Effects were used, they had less than 15 month to produce a full season + additional problems on top, no production break between the seasons (boy does it show!) and no one internally believed in them succeeding. It all speaks for itself, doesn´t it?

Why couldn´t we get a Guardians of Desire film (Vol.1-3) by the mentioned Digital Frontier. Why? WHY!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
The aforementioned issues with the models and 3DSMax make me think the issue wasn't so much with the software (3DSMax is basically Maya's only real rival in the modeling scene), as it was with the hardware they were using. It sounds like whatever machines they were using for this series weren't up to snuff the same way, say, a dedicated gaming studio's equipment would be.

As an aside, I've never seen this version of Berserk, but good gravy, that walking animation at the top was atrocious! I feel bad for the animators. Embarassed
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
I recently watched a video on why Berserk is un-adaptable in the current anime industry, and I feel like this is as good a place to share this as any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6CJaChQ7rQ

Though I find him a bit annoying, he makes some good points. [/url]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Despite the visuals the show had a way of pulling me in and I didn't mind the ride in the least. I'd definitely watch more if they made it.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
AlexStrider wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

WTH does it mean "nearly impossible to animate"? It's not true, it's bullsh*t, and this animated version is cr*p!

Why admit you don't understand only to dismiss the statement completely out of hand? The enormous challenges that would come with successfully adapting Berserk into a visually pleasing anime are hardly a new talking point; they've been going on for 20 years since the first show came out. Tone down the angry histrionics & someone might even explain it to you. As it stands, if there was enough confidence that a committee could invest the time, money & resources to recreate Berserk with Attack on Titan-level production values and still make a profit, they'd have probably attempted it long ago.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
marifrit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Trying to recreate Miura's art was always going to be bad idea. It's not possible unless the animators had as much time as a movie like Redline. I personally would have enjoyed a radically different take on the art by a studio like shaft than the 3D CGI garbage l we got.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
AlexStrider wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Woah. What I mean is that the amount of detail that goes into the manga panels is much, much harder to translate to a moving medium. It's simply a difference in mediums that we see all the time. The original TV series made concessions through things like still-frames, but people didn't react so negatively because it looked pretty good overall, even without being as detailed as the manga. As the article states, trying to replicate it created problems because it was more than the studio could handle I'm not saying that this version looks good, I'm saying that they probably didn't need to keep going down the CGI path when something more traditional probably would result in a better final product, even if they went into it knowing it wasn't going to be 100% like the manga.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone would mind a 2D adaptation with a more simplified look than the manga's, as long as the animation was great. I guess the difficult part would be assembling a production committee that could raise enough money to hire a top-tier studio like Bones or Production I.G to animate it.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I've work with 3DSMax and Maya and this defiantly sounds like hardware issues more anything. Their timescale don't seem realistic for the amount of rendering they have to do. I guess they don't have access to a render farm like to big studios do.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Miura, i am looking at you and this "series" straight out hurt the brand at this point,

Did the movies hurt the brand considering this series followed them?
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Ever since the reveal of the Arc System Works 2D/3D engine, I have been waiting for someone to use that style to animate a series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4