• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newspaper: New Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin Film In the Works

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
And Japan continues to make me facepalm. I guess I will never understand this Idolization of female talent and the need for them to be 'pure'. I know it's partially (if not mainly) due to the audience and those who put these women on the pedestals they're on, but at the same time, it's still a bit hard to comprehend.

Oh, Japan... Rolling Eyes
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Is she going to name her child Yahiko?

Seriously though I have no idea how these stars put up with all this nonsense on their personal lives.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Punishing a woman for getting married and pregnant just because it's not in her contract? Oh for *beep*'s sake. That's just wrong.

Also first full actual adaptation of the Jinchu arc, here maybe we come? (No, Reflection doesn't really count and Trust and Betrayal only did the flashbacks.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Here's more about her recent marriage.
I think this situation is going too far. This is completely and utterly detestable. The ban hammer might get dropped on me were to use some stronger vocabulary towards these agencies.

Zeino, perhaps these agencies should reflect on the potential loss of Takei's trust towards and the potential betrayal they did towards her new family to be.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Those "contracts" are ****ing vile.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Interesting note about RK, too bad it had to be in a scandal due to Takei making it clear she is not some doll for insecure men. I genuinely wish her the best and hope this doesn't derail her career. She was great in RK and Nioh and I just can't see another woman playing Kaoru.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote
I knew things were bad, but she might have to pay 9 million dollars because she got married and became pregnant?! Do the agencies have no shame?! They may as well be admitting "Yeah, we're scumbags. We indulge the fans too much and make the talent sign contracts which they will have to pay big bucks for being a normal human being*" I don't want to let the fans who have those expectations off the hook, but the, to be frank, delusions of the fans that they could get with their idol are common across fandoms and cultures and it only really becomes a problem of this extent when it is endorsed and enforced by the powers that be. Sure there will still be some crazy fans that lash out violently without such things, but I can't say that endorsing their grievance (though not their means) helps that, instead of saying "Look. Be realistic. You were never going to get with them. NEVER! Not in a million years"

*Not saying that people who don't marry and have kids or don't want to aren't normal human beings.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
Japan is and continue to be a deeply misogynistic country. No point crying about that now.
The film announcement though. Finally, especially combined with the new manga. A anime remake is basically a forgone conclusion at this point!
I take 1 prequel film with a recast teen Kenshin and 2 "present day" films to wrap the series up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emanisbetter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:56 am Reply with quote
I feel really bad for emi loved her as kaoru, but what does this mean for the new rurouni kenshin live action. Is it like up in the air? Or is it definitely in production and now they are just waiting for all this stuff to be sorted out.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:49 am Reply with quote
It might be antiquated and it might not be right, but if it's in her contract it's in her contract. If she signed and agreed to it, then she must follow it. If she is in breach of her contract then she must face the consequences. It's quite simple really.
VinceA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:11 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
It might be antiquated and it might not be right, but if it's in her contract it's in her contract. If she signed and agreed to it, then she must follow it. If she is in breach of her contract then she must face the consequences. It's quite simple really.

True, it may be but it's still detestable. Someone more versed in Japanese court cases will have to let me know if any female talent has taken these contracts and their holders to court to have them deemed unenforceable. For some reason I think it's happened and the woman lost but I can't remember for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
sonryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing this won't be a Jinchuu arc movie... seeing as how they never touched on Kenshin's relationship with Tomoe at all :/

Perhaps this is a prequel adapting the Tsuioku-hen films... THEN we can get 2 Jinchuu arc movies after Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:

It being in her contract doesn't make the contract itself any less stupid, plus what they expect her the follow in said contract is ridiculous. This isn't whatever century the people who drew that contract up seem to think it is when people could just abstain or go without marrying or having sex.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope she gets a good lawyer. Hopefully one with some familiarity with international law and human rights.

It makes no sense to put stipulations about "marriage, pregnancy and divorce" in contracts. It's not that hard to film around an actress's pregnancy. Ask Gal Gadot, who did some post production for Wonder Woman while pregnant. Or ask any of the actresses in this article: www.businessinsider.com/tv-actors-pregnant-while-filming-and-how-they-hid-it-2016-6
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
That is just stupid. It's her life so her company have no right to decide that she can't get married or have a kid. Rather than care about the profits they lose, they should care more about the health and well being of their actress. Did Marvel Studios punished Natalie Portman when she was pregnant when they wanted to film Thor the Dark World? No! They allowed her to give birth to her baby and rest before she was ready to act again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2