• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Muv-Luv Developer Age Pursues More Anime, Game Adaptations

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynhild

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
Maybe a full-on MuvLuv anime could still happen. although it would probably need like 40 episodes for the first two then some movies for alternative.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
honestly I want Extra to be a series of OVAs showing the different routes and the first adaption to be of Unlimited after the OVAs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:
Maybe a full-on MuvLuv anime could still happen. although it would probably need like 40 episodes for the first two then some movies for alternative.

Nah, Extra could easily be 6 episodes or so. 13 for extra/unlimited, another 13 for Alternative. A lot of unlimited and alternative is just technojargon and exposition (some repeated several times) which can be trimmed.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
brynhild wrote:

Nah, Extra could easily be 6 episodes or so. 13 for extra/unlimited, another 13 for Alternative. A lot of unlimited and alternative is just technojargon and exposition (some repeated several times) which can be trimmed.

13 Episodes for Alternative...? :O How the heck do you trim down 80h to 13 episodes? There's not that much "technojargon and exposition"....
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
Try every scene where Yuuko gives Takeru a science lesson. Even when playing the game those were the scenes I checked out on.

Obviously it would be nice if it got 50 episodes but that wouldn't be a realistic expectation. Schwarzesmarken worked pretty well despite a lot being condensed. The original could too.
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah 6 ep ova for Extra, maybe a 12 ep for U (I dont know if it even needs that much, could maybe do it in 8), and then like... at least 36-9 for alternative. Minimum. First poster is crazy to say "40 eps for extra and unlimited then some movies for alternative" that's so ass backwards it makes me wonder if they even read them.

Like compare it to other VN adaptations. A lot of the 1 cour ones SUCK cause they're way too condensed and no one comes out satisfied. Then you look at ones that succeed like S;G or UBW who got 26 eps and its like nice - and then you think about it and realize the MLA is 3x as long a VN as those. So it definitely needs more episodes to not fudge it up.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
What I thought was noteworthy -- only reason I submitted for the news department's consideration -- is explicitly reaching out to Western fans by posting the poll in English. Seeing a single tweet in English atop âge's corporate Twitter feed (and also in their PR person's feed) is very unusual.

I do think there might be a broader story that with Japan's VN industry in decline, companies like âge need to reach out to Western fans and get them onboard (and spending money or pledging to Kickstarters) sooner. That was, in part, my takeway from the Key/Visual Art's top staff visiting US cons (ACen, AX) last year.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see a proper adaptation of the beloved franchise - largely because I'm too lazy to read all the different routes of the original and whatever else to get to Alternative, which has been hyped up as one of the greatest pieces of fiction of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I'd like to see a proper adaptation of the beloved franchise - largely because I'm too lazy to read all the different routes of the original and whatever else to get to Alternative, which has been hyped up as one of the greatest pieces of fiction of all time.

Strictly speaking you only need to play Sumika/Meiya's route in Extra. They're effectively the same just with different endings. Unlimited is also pretty much one single route with the same ending, just with a different girl involved.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Just a reminder that an anime adaptation of the main trilogy might actually not be the main or only thing on the agenda at âge / Ixtl / Avex Pictures. After all, why do it now and not 10 years ago when Muv-Luv was a hotter property? And there have been some very strong hints of a new work in the Muv-Luv universe, seemingly a genuine sequel to Alternative.

Among these hints are the second-to-last chapter of the Alternative manga, a scene not in the VN, set 50 years later, in which spoiler[Kasumi gives a speech prior to the launch of a mission to sue for peace with the silicon-based life-forms that created the BETA]. As the ML translation lead noted, three character designers and five mecha designers are credited for this chapter… way more than are necessary for a mere 10 pages of manga.

There's also the Exogularity artbook that âge was selling at Comiket 92, which prominently features slightly aged-up versions of spoiler[Yuko and Kasumi from Alternative] and spoiler[Inia from Total Eclipse].They've started using this same artwork as the backdrop banner for the weekly livestream so… âge kremlinology, go!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
After all, why do it now and not 10 years ago when Muv-Luv was a hotter property?

I believe Kouki always said that he wouldn't do the original trilogy unless they had the money to do it right. Now with Avex owning them, they might have access to those funds.

Muv-Luv is still a pretty hot property with it's recent anime adaptations and never ending supply of side stories. Not to mention a hentai browser game. The franchise has never just gone away.
brynhild

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:
Yeah 6 ep ova for Extra, maybe a 12 ep for U (I dont know if it even needs that much, could maybe do it in 8), and then like... at least 36-9 for alternative. Minimum. First poster is crazy to say "40 eps for extra and unlimited then some movies for alternative" that's so ass backwards it makes me wonder if they even read them.

you're absolutely right, I haven't read them. I supported the campaign on Kickstarter for them, but even after that, I still can't get myself into any visual novels. I have a whole stack of VNs I bought to support their Kickstarters, but can't find the attention span to play them. I was simply saying 40 episodes based on the length listed for the first two, without thinking about how much could be cut out. and for Alternative, I was simply thinking about the best presentation since there is /supposedly/ a lot of gore in it. That's all.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I believe Kouki always said that he wouldn't do the original trilogy unless they had the money to do it right. Now with Avex owning them, they might have access to those funds.

Muv-Luv is still a pretty hot property with it's recent anime adaptations and never ending supply of side stories. Not to mention a hentai browser game. The franchise has never just gone away.

Yeah, that's what intrigues me… the franchise is still hanging around, but Schwarzesmarken sold poorly on Blu-Ray (average 1220/vol, according to someanithing.com). I think it's important to be skeptical about things you love. so Avex's apparent interest is a pleasant surprise. Why are they willing to throw more money into this franchise?

BTW, the Exogularity banner is up again for the Sep. 15 livestream.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
So they going make a OVD or OVA something? The goals for kickstarter doesn't look like it could be much for singular anime never mind a 12-epsode one.

Animated series, was pretty gruesome in-comparison to the earlier manga where they didn't show people getting eaten and stuff by BETA, never mind the regular harem original manga/game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1