• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Firm Bain Capital Buys ADK Agency

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Isn't this the same investment firm that currently owns Toys R Us and Toshiba?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Yep, it's the very same one made famous by 2012 Presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Let's hope Japan's ready for a taste of American corporate raiders and vulture culture.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
CCTakato wrote:
Yep, it's the very same one made famous by 2012 Presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Let's hope Japan's ready for a taste of American corporate raiders and vulture culture.

They actually purchased a chain of onsen resorts called Oedo Onsen a couple years ago already, so this is hardly Bain's first venture into Japan.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Bah. They've mishandled Toys R Us so badly that it's filing for bankruptcy again. While Toshiba's going along stably (though not wonderfully), Bain comes across as the sort of company that will buy a company, suck it dry with debt, and let it go.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Bah. They've mishandled Toys R Us so badly that it's filing for bankruptcy again. While Toshiba's going along stably (though not wonderfully), Bain comes across as the sort of company that will buy a company, suck it dry with debt, and let it go.

That's exactly what Bain does. Although of course it gets a big paycheck with it too.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

In this case though, couldn't happen to a nicer buncher of folks at ADK.... /s
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
ADK is also an owner of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime franchise (the one that started in 2000, not the 1998 TV series)
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Bain Capital was founded by the unscrupulous Mitt Romney, I've a bad feeling that ADK is going to be mercilessly run into the ground...
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
Romney left Bain Capital in 1999, yet was slandered for everything after during his presidential campaign.

It already owns a considerable stake in ADK with British rival and partner WPP, who is contesting to selling their stake. If successful, it's likely they will shake-up ADK, and then sell it in pieces or whole to a competitor(s).

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Currently, they're in a fight to acquire Toshiba's flash memory unit, which apart from civil engineering, is its only lucrative business nowadays, as Japanese consumer electronics are going the way American ones did. I'd be more concerned that SK hynix is part of the bidding consortium, which along with most other South Korean companies, was notorious for IP theft even before China.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:42 am Reply with quote
I can't say reading the above discussion isn't making me queasy, when I remember Bain Group became the majority shareholder of the company I work for last year... Confused
NitwitsWorld

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I can't say reading the above discussion isn't making me queasy, when I remember Bain Group became the majority shareholder of the company I work for last year... Confused

Interesting? Go on....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1